Trackday Report: 06 10R - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-10-2006, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Trackday Report: 06 10R

Well...i'm tired! :)

Trackday @ Firebird East, Arizona

First trackday on the new 06. Here are pics of the bike from the other thread...
https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19842

First of all, I'm normally in the intermediate group, but today was a special event put on with a local sbk group here and BMW. 30 minute sessions for each group.

My whole intention today was to get the bike out there...get the sag/suspension worked out, learn the bike and get rid of them chicken strips :). I'm not fast, but I can hold my own. So I basically took my time out there....getting the tires scrubbed in and getting the feel of the new 10.

Once everything got dialed in...I picked up the speed a little and the bike is awesome!! The bike definitely pulls harder than my previous 04...but at a much smoother rate...this is with a Akra Evo and no PCIII. The bike turns really good and is real stable throughout the turns--kinda reminds me of my 00 7R. Coming out of turns I was able to get on the gas and not really worry about it doing anything crazy, the only thing holding me up or giving me the willies were the stock Qualifiers (more on that later). Now the one thing that I did notice is it seems a little slower/harder in the transition stuff...but on the real tight stuff. Nothing major but the 04 was a little more flickable.

As with the 04, I believe the 06 needs some gearing done. This mostly due to the tracks in AZ...they are short and tight...plus the pavement ain't the best and can get sketchy/bumpy in a bunch of places...which brings me to the qualifiers. While they seem like good tires for the street and maybe some easy going trackdays...I will definitely be going back to Michelin Power Races when they are available in the 190/55 size. I was never a Dunlop guy and these tires had the normal Dunlop slide action going...again, something I'm not used to and dont' feel comfortable with. I got into a couple of turns pretty hot and had the tires slide out--both of them like I was "washing out"...but they did hold...just don't like the feeling! What worries me even more is that I was not even pushing it....just taking my time...

The other issue is the brakes....at first, they were good to go...but as the laps went on...they would fade...one time I hit my fingers (2 finger braking). Even with some fade I could handle...but it seemed to not be consistent...one time it would fade, the other it wouldn't be as bad...then back to the "holy crap, I'm not slowing down enough...." feeling. Again, this was a similar feeling I got with the 04, so....new brake lines will be order ASAP. :)

Overall, I'm stoked about the bike...it handles well, holds it's line and allows for mid turn changes if you need them, it's a missile and I got rid of them chicken strips :)

Is it better than the 04 on the track? I believe so....mainly because of the power delivery, the stability in the corners and the easier turn-in/exit. The 04 transitions quicker...but not with as much control.

Again, this is just my opinion and I haven't opened her up all the way yet on the track....but I do know I will have the confidence to do it because of this bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-10-2006, 12:46 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

That was a cool report. Congrats in riding safe and fast. I do agree in the 7 and the 06 10r differences so far. Make it more detailed next time will ya?

W.F.O.ing with style will bring life back into focus
post #3 of 16 Old 04-10-2006, 07:45 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Pretty much the same as I felt during the day that I rode them back to back on the track over here, but I at least had supercorsa's on the black one I rode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-10-2006, 08:59 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Nice...... The bike looks great in race trim.

Now give us a shot of those tore up tires.

WERA Expert #760
'10 N.E./Mid-A Hwt. Senior Superbike Champ
'09 N.E. "A" Superstock Champ
'09 Senior Superbike Champ

www.sichertengraving.com - www.Karns-performance.com - www.Absolutesignshop.com - www.Untamedvelocity.com - www.keystonegenerators.com
Vortex - Hotbodies - Scorpion Helmets - LP Racing - Vesrah - Pitbull
post #5 of 16 Old 04-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

good read

06 ZX10r
Renthol 16t front sprocket, Renthol 39t rear sprocket, DID ERVIII gold 520 conversion, Akrapovic carbon pipes, Zero Gravity clear DB, Solo seat, Custom Fender Eliminator
05 ZX6r
A LOT of Stuff
post #6 of 16 Old 04-13-2006, 05:34 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Great looker. You did a great job on the yellow vinyl number backgrounds.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-13-2006, 09:40 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

any pics from the trackday?

David Nolden
CMRA #711
post #8 of 16 Old 04-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

From what I remember, the Qualifiers that come stock are more street oriented than the qualifiers in the 190/55 size that are available aftermarket. I think Kawi wanted the stock tires to be more street oriented and have a longer life. But they are not the ones you get when you order them aftermarket.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-13-2006, 02:35 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

trauma is correct. i've got an aftermarket rear on the stock front. the rear helped the bike a lot, but if i can get Pilot Powers in 190/55 when i need tires, you can bet i'll leave dunlop's for the previously mentioned 'dunslop slide' issue.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-13-2006, 09:28 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

lol, keep me posted guys on the tread. I am all ears.

W.F.O.ing with style will bring life back into focus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in