Track Suit - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
rkd
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Track Suit

Well, my wife says our tax ship is near the harbor.

So need recommendations on a leather suit or jacket/pant combo.

Was thinking 2 pc was the way to go, but want input. Want something good for the dragstrip first, and I may try a track day on a closed course later.

Probably going to call Riders Discount in a few days.

What has everyone else got that works?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I've gotten most of my gear through Sportbiketrackgear.com. I would go with a 1 piece but I'm more of a knee dragger than a drag racer, could never keep that damn front end down to get a good launch. 60ft times were like i was riding a tricycle. Anyway.... if your going to ride some roadcourses I would recommend a 1 piece for protection. A two piece offers protection, but the weak spot is that zipper that attaches the two halves together not something I'd personally be willing to take on a roadcourse. However, lots of people use 2 piece suits at at the track so it's really all personal preference and level of risk you're willing to accept.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-06-2013, 04:21 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Alpinestars FTW. Tried other stuff, keep coming back. Call Mike cause he definately will hook you up. Ive got the SP1 right now. I did a 2 piece intially but I really feel like a 1 piece is safer as Boomer mentioned. Mike can coach you through price range, features, sizing and protection levels and help you decide.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
rkd
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks. Got measurements from the seamstress at the neighborhood store where I buy shrimp and beer!
post #5 of 12 Old 03-06-2013, 09:00 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Just my 2c, but i stay away from bottom shelf stuff. Yeah that MAY protect you well enough for one crash, but in general, the cheaper stuff is "one crash" suits. Don't corner yourself into one brand, and look into quality stuff. (Alpinestar, spidi, dainese, etc) and plan on spending more than $1000 for their better stuff, don't go entry-level on your self-protection.

As mentioned, if ultimately you think you'll end up on a road course, one-piece is the way to go. I'd much rather find a good used suit that may have some rash than buy a brand new cheap suit that probably won't withstand a simple lowside slide.

Personal experience: bought a $700 arlen ness on sale for $400, lowsided at approx 70 mph and slid for a ways, was totally uninjured, but the suit blew out several seams (which could have been bad). So i paid 400 for a suit i only wore a handful of times. My buddy who races, spidi suit for approx $1600, crashed several times, some pretty good ones, and has been wearing his for years, no damage but cosmetic scuffs/rash.

The moral, buy quality stuff. If you don't have enough, save a longer.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Gone Ridin'

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to twidget Send a message via MSN to twidget Send a message via Yahoo to twidget
Second the notion of a 1 pc and certainly the best you can afford. Caught on sale the better name brands can be had for not a lot more.

: Twidget
post #7 of 12 Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
rkd
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Ordered up an Alpinestars GP Plus two pc from Riders Discount today. Price was excellent! Will get it, try on carefully and see where we go from there. Seemed like the best way to get 225 lbs of a short 5-7 guy into leather.

Last edited by rkd; 03-06-2013 at 08:34 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkd View Post
Ordered up an Alpinestars GP Plus two pc from Riders Discount today. Price was excellent! Will get it, try on carefully and see where we go from there. Seemed like the best way to get 225 lbs of a short 5-7 guy into leather.
True story, thanks for the order and let me know how it fits!

Call TJ at 866-931-6644 ext 817. Our business hours are Monday-Friday 9:30AM-6PM EST. Visit our website at Riders Discount.

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
post #9 of 12 Old 03-26-2013, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
rkd
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Just to close the loop here. I got an Alpinstars GP Plus 2-pc. It fits great, and I have already worn it to the dragstrip.

Excellent service from Mike.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkd View Post
Just to close the loop here. I got an Alpinstars GP Plus 2-pc. It fits great, and I have already worn it to the dragstrip.

Excellent service from Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in