Track report: 10R at Willow Springs/big track by Kenny Kopecky - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Track report: 10R at Willow Springs/big track by Kenny Kopecky

Awesome report from yesterday 5/08th by the WSMC champ !! :

1st ride report (long): Dunlop D209GP tires / Moto Forza ZX-10R (at TrackDaz)
Hey,

Several of you were really interested to know more about what we thought on some things yesterday at TrackDaz...glad to share with everyone our feelings.

TIRES
Our first ride day ever on the new D209GP Sportmax Dunlop DOT race tires. Ran 120/70x17 front and 190/60x17 rear, at recommended 31f/29r cold pressures per Sport Tire Services. Mounted on MotoForza/TrackDaz ZX-10R.

36 laps, 90 miles, pace varied from 1:29's to 1:33's when not in traffic (race group/we were working with a WSMC racer on his new wicked-fast R6).

Used warmers initially, after that with nice weather we were just covering them to keep some heat in them.

Not much to report...they stuck like glue, had no issues, no slides, no unusual moments. They're awesome.

We did intentially drive really hard off turns 1, 2 and 9 a few times, never had any loss of traction at the pace we ran at all.

felt really good on the brakes, little to no tire squirm or deformation (or whatever Mr. Tigert would call it).

the wear was minimal, the things have several more TrackDaz in them and we'll be running the 209's on the bike for a while. Having gone high 24's and many 25's 26's on the old D208GP-A's on our ol' R6 a few years back, my initial feelings are these tires seem to wear better and hold up better even with a ZX-10R (stock bike's) power. They look great, and this awesome wear was also observed by the WSMC racer with his R6, his tires looked fantastic and I theeenk he rode that bike around 160 miles yesterday at TrackDaz. It was his first time on the 209's as well. He liked 'em.

BIKE
First to clear several questions and people wondering, the bike we were on in 3 sessions yesterday (with WSMC #27 on it) is not a former Attack Kawasaki race team bike...the former owner (a WSMC racer) had purchased their used race team bodywork. Our plan to have a new set painted by MC Pro Designs will be completed soon - we just didn't have enough lead time to get it all done for the May 8 TrackDaz.

Anyway, it's a '04 ZX-10R that he rode on the street a few thousand miles, then ran a few WSMC weekends. He's switched to smaller bikes and decided to part with it.

It's a bone stock motor, slip-on muffler (stock header/collector), stock gearing, Ohlins rear shock, re-valved/re-sprung forks, braided s/s front lines w/Ferodo fr pads, the race bodywork, and, I think that is it? We ran Chevron Supreme in it yesterday, tho' I was told it's mapped for VP race gas (oh it has a PCIIIusb).

Plans for changes soon: New bodywork in our Moto Forza race team MC Pro colors, track gearing (-1/+2), and the guys from Advanced Kawasaki dropped off a full Akro exhaust system and some Stomp pad things we'll pop onto it. We also need to re-spring it, because...

Riding it was really fun, it was a much smoother power delivery then I expected from a ZX-10R (having last raced a R1 in 2002, I've been on R6, then mostly 749 and 999 Ducati's the last couple years). The fi was smooth, controls all worked well and the bike seemed to fit fairly well. It has Attack rearsets, in their lowest most far back position, the only thing I didn't like there was the pegs seemed a little shorter then the Acculigns we run on the Ducati race bikes.

The brakes were nice...glad to have the pads and the s/s lines on it. We did build up some really good speed a few times when we wanted to. Wheeeeeeeeee!

Transmission seemed fine (I've read about weird shifting probs on these old ZX-10s?), we had already changed to our favored Maxima Lubricants and we simply need to get the gearing right. The few laps we ran it really hard off turn 9 and down the front straight we were still only using 5th gear with stock gearing.

Whoever set it up for the previous owner must think stiff bikes are good, it's got a 1.00kg set of front springs and a 10.5 rear spring, which are 2 or 3 steps stiffer then I would like and would be much stiffer then suggested by most knowledgeable suspension tuners. I've posted on several boards (incl. this one) asking for other ZX-10 riders ideas on their spring rates prior to this ride day, and while we had a couple nice responses, overall the info wasn't anything really helpful to our TrackDaz desires. But, we know now what we'll be changing. That was the only un-comfortable thang for me and MY tastes in a bike, it was too stiff, too rigid, not compliant enough for my desires.

As mentioned the power was much smoother then I guess I expected, but stock gearing will tone down the acceleration compared to what I'm used to with re-geared race-prepped 999R's, which admittedly have 15 or 20hp less then most I-4 liter-bikes. Our torque on the 999 is a match tho' and we can accelerate with most of them pretty well in WSMC races. That said...

This thing will be used a lot at upcoming TrackDaz events, and at some of the WSMC Advanced Race Clinics when we assist with the instruction. We do want to save the 999R for it's #1 mission, which is racing to win on Sundays at WSMC (and maybe again at WERA as well).

I think this bike was phenominal considering it's level of preparation (and that I'd never ridden one, nor on those tires), and the older ('04 and '05) ZX-10R should be (IMHO) considered a really cool and fun track day bike.

btw, this one wasn't twitchy or scary at all (opps just remembered it also has one of those Scotts steering dampers, had one-a those on my old R6 too and I KNOW it helps out on the track). I'd heard some stories about these things shaking, and granted our pace wasn't at a front running expert level, but that thing will do 29's and 30's all day without any scares AND while keeping the new Dunlop D209's in really great shape. Sometime after we get the suspension sorted we'll run 'er into and thru the turns harder and enoy it even more.

It was a fun bike to ride, for sure.

Thanks to those who were asking about it yesterday, and for reading this story.

Last edited by Felix el gato; 05-09-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Long but outstanding report, for the ADD folks,please note that's an '04 with STOCK gearing !....they will do a 520 conversion and run 16x41
post #3 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 11:07 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

righteous report. Sounded like fun.

W.F.O.ing with style will bring life back into focus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Sounds like you had a blast.

04 Green ZX-10R, Evo II Header, Evo Canister, PCIIIUSB, BMC Race Filter, Vortex adj. Rearsets, Scorpio Alarm, Scotts Damper, Ivan's TRE, Ivan PCIII USB Map, Ivan's Kleen Block-Offs, Clear Alternatives Flush Mounts, Puig Double Bubble, Mirror Blocks, Sho-gun sliders, 1/5 throttle, Hot bodies fender eliminator, Goodridge SS lines, pazzo shorties and exhuast hanger.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-10-2006, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

FYI: I am not the author of that report, just forwarding the infos...should be useful to anyone going track day with a 10.

'06 green ZX-10R Race / '05 orangina ZX-10R track

Wera West Expert #95
post #6 of 7 Old 05-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

well i trust kenny's word he gave me a good whooping in BOT heavyweight back in 2004 i just couldnt touch the power of his 999 we will see how the ten adds up on the 21st (wsmc race day)

ONE LITER GSXR EATER
post #7 of 7 Old 05-12-2006, 01:15 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

yeah he was moving around the track pretty damn quick...i was riding that day as well fairly consistent 140-145 lap times on my 7R. I saw another 06 10R riding in the street group too...anyone from here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in