Track Day Report - WSIR 3/27/06 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-28-2006, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Ara
LE Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Track Day Report - WSIR 3/27/06

So, as most of you know, I was back at the track yesterday for the first time since my crash last June. It was also my first time riding the 10 with the wheels, brakes and gearing. Yesterday was a great day. The weather was probably in the 60's with some clouds. I went out with my friend Brian, and another friend of ours who is a really fast up and coming racer. He put a 600 on the F1 podium last race weekend. He also has a great deal of knowledge of suspension setup, so he was there to help us out. The first few sessions of the day I was really tight and sore on the bike. I felt like I could not move, and my hands were hurting from holding on too tight. My friend made a few adjustments to my suspension, and fixed my slightly crooked clip on, and instantly things were better.I didnt quite get up to the pace I had on my 600, but it also has been a year since I have been to Willow.

As for the bike, I have to say it was amazing. The handling is literally on par with the 600. The brakes are rediculously strong, causing me to scrub too much speed on corner entry more than a couple of times. The bike feels as close to a 600 as a litre bike can possibly feel. The tires had an amazing amount of side grip. The only problem I had was some straight line stability, as the bike was giving me a good wiggle down the front straight. All in all, I think the bike was great. I think I may need to go down another tooth on the counter sprocket, as I was just barely hitting 6th on the front straight. I have to say though, the wheel, suspension, tire combo was the best I have ever felt. With some more practice, I know I can get faster on this bike, than I ever was on my 600.

I let my buddy take the bike out too for a couple of sessions, as I was done for the day by 2:00PM. He rides a superstock R6, and does consistent 1:23's at Willow, on DOT's. He was amazed at the way the bike handled, saying it really felt like a 600 in the corners. He couldn't get over the amount of power either. I think he had more fun on it that I did. Even riding conservatively at what he said was about 60% for him, he managed to get the bike into the 1:29's, faster than I have ever been around Willow, lol.

Anyways, all in all it was a great day, and i'm ready for more...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-28-2006, 02:23 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

good show Ara.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
Sweet Ara. Great write up man. Sounds like it'll make yah one happy dude on the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-28-2006, 02:23 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

sweet Ara! sounds like you had a blasts! planning on doing any more track days?
post #5 of 22 Old 03-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
woot!

Great story Ara and thanks for takin the time to post it for us all to read!

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

post #6 of 22 Old 03-28-2006, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Ara
LE Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Thanks guys. A couple of other quick things. Robbie Dowie was out there flying around on his 06 Advanced Kawasaki sponsored ZX-10. That was fun to watch.

Also, I now need a new lower. I was going into turn 9, when someone decided to try and pass me on the outside. I guess he ran out of track, caught a piece of my lower with some part of his body or bike, ran off and crashed. I pulled in and saw my lower all busted up on the left side. Im just happy I didnt go down too, as turn 9 is not a fun place to crash.

Last edited by Ara; 03-28-2006 at 02:29 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ara
Thanks guys. A couple of other quick things. Robbie Dowie was out there flying around on hos 06 Advnaced Kawasaki sponsored ZX-10. That was fun to watch.

Also, I now need a new lower. I was going into turn 9, when someone decided to try and pass me on the outside. I guess he ran out of track, caught a piece of my lower with some part of his body or bike, ran off and crashed. I pulled in and saw my lower all busted up on the left side. Im just happy I didnt go down too, as turn 9 is not a fun place to crash.
WOW. Good to hear yah didn't lay it down. Good job
post #8 of 22 Old 03-28-2006, 04:33 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Good to hear you're back at it and the bike is working good. Like I said before, I can't wait until the wife graduates law school in a couple months and starts making some money. Then maybe I can build a SWEET trackbike like yours. Definitely my favorite on the site. No unnecessary crap, just what's needed to do quick laps.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-29-2006, 07:36 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastone
Definitely my favorite on the site. No unnecessary crap,

just 1 ? ara your brembo,s are they the 2 pad caliper or the 4 pad and how do you like them,,i,ve just fitted brembo calipers to my 10 and m/s,mine are not the monoblocks but the new 2 peice race caliper 2 pad

2004 masterbike winner zx10r
2005 masterbike winner zx10r
2006 masterbike winner aprilla rsv factory
post #10 of 22 Old 03-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Sounds like fun!

04 Green ZX-10R, Evo II Header, Evo Canister, PCIIIUSB, BMC Race Filter, Vortex adj. Rearsets, Scorpio Alarm, Scotts Damper, Ivan's TRE, Ivan PCIII USB Map, Ivan's Kleen Block-Offs, Clear Alternatives Flush Mounts, Puig Double Bubble, Mirror Blocks, Sho-gun sliders, 1/5 throttle, Hot bodies fender eliminator, Goodridge SS lines, pazzo shorties and exhuast hanger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in