Gen 3: 2008-2010 Tire choices - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-13-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Newfie Bullet

Posting Frequency

Garage
Tire choices

Hey guys.
Hopefully i can get some education from the more experienced guys n gals here..
I currently have a gen 3 zx10r and i love the corsa 3 tires on her..I have done some track days and two track schools but now i wanna try a lil racing so my question is..
Once i get another set of wheels(bike will be doin double duty as street and track bike)should i stay with dot legal street tires or should i look for some slicks...
Love some pro and cons type of advice and if anyone can provide me some links with some tire weights and expected life...A buddy of mine races and he tells me a tire order will be goin in soon so i wanna jump in on a bit of a deal he can get by buying a larger number of tire sets..

Im not lookin to go pro or nothin cause im 48 so im so far past my prime its not funny but i still wanna say i did it and didnt do to to bad,kinda of a bucket list/childhood dream thing..

Team green,Bleed green,RIDE GREEN!!

Brembo m/c,Nassert Beet,HEL lines,Pazzo levers,HID kit,custom monster paint scheme..Thanks to forum member horse for that..Woolich raceing kit,Elka rear shock and front fork pistons,Green samco coolant hose kit,Zero gravity dbbl smoked screen,520 conversion,attack rear sets,bmc race air filter,Monster zx6 front seat,moto graffix tank pad,feredo pads,galpher lite weight rear rotor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-15-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Newfie Bullet

Posting Frequency

Garage
48 views and not one comment..sux man..

Team green,Bleed green,RIDE GREEN!!

Brembo m/c,Nassert Beet,HEL lines,Pazzo levers,HID kit,custom monster paint scheme..Thanks to forum member horse for that..Woolich raceing kit,Elka rear shock and front fork pistons,Green samco coolant hose kit,Zero gravity dbbl smoked screen,520 conversion,attack rear sets,bmc race air filter,Monster zx6 front seat,moto graffix tank pad,feredo pads,galpher lite weight rear rotor.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Well, I'm not an expert and probably can't help you with your dilemma other than bumping this thread. But I say go for the slicks and see what happens. Yeah, they are expensive, but go for it. You only live once! Yeah, I did the YOLO thing. do it. You can always go back to DOT tires if you don't see any improvement.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Well, I'm not an expert and probably can't help you with your dilemma other than bumping this thread. But I say go for the slicks and see what happens. Yeah, they are expensive, but go for it. You only live once! Yeah, I did the YOLO thing. do it. You can always go back to DOT tires if you don't see any improvement.

+1

life begins @ 13000 RPMs!!!
2013 WHITE Knight!!!
08 black knight, you will be missed
post #5 of 16 Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I have a gen 2? 2007! and with street rubber ridinging in the fast group or even the second fastest group i find street rubber goes off after about 4 to 5 laps ( on my home track which is a tight short track)
now running dunlop Ntec slicks in a Med front and rear times have dropped by 3 seconds a lap with no faid in grip like the street tyres. I'm useing take offs from local qualifying and they might have a dozen hot laps on them then there discarded, i get 6 to 8 track days from them. there half the cost to me compaired to new rubber
post #6 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Zx10 Lover!

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Fatherdom
I've some good track days using Pirelli pro slicks ..i ride in the b+ group and they have served me well !!.you can average about 4/5 track days out of them depending on how hard you are hitting it ..best of luck!!
post #7 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 AM
Zx10 Lover!

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Fatherdom
I have also used Pirelli super corsa sp ( standard production) and they work really good also ..
post #8 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 03:53 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Where are you planning on racing because I believe WERA and CCS require a tire "must be DOT approved". If your gonna race I would say get the tire your most likely to race with and spend some seat time learning it.

post #9 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 05:18 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
Where are you planning on racing because I believe WERA and CCS require a tire "must be DOT approved". If your gonna race I would say get the tire your most likely to race with and spend some seat time learning it.
This.^^^^

Different tyres require different set ups so you don't want to be switching to a new tyre just before you race.

If you can run slicks, do it. There is a reason why none of the fast guys run street tyres. If you have to run DOT tyres, then stick with that and spend some time getting used to them.

I run Ntecs and they work great for me. I tried Pirellis once when they ran out of Dunlops and I found them to have far less edge grip compared to the Ntecs. I can get 2 race days out of a rear Ntec, but it's starting to move around a bit by the end of a weekend. I can then get another day out of that tyre at a track day before needing to replace it. The front Ntecs last ages. I can get 7 or 8 days out of a front, but I use the UK Ntec on the front as they offer a bit better grip.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
This.^^^^

Different tyres require different set ups so you don't want to be switching to a new tyre just before you race.

If you can run slicks, do it. There is a reason why none of the fast guys run street tyres. If you have to run DOT tyres, then stick with that and spend some time getting used to them.

I run Ntecs and they work great for me. I tried Pirellis once when they ran out of Dunlops and I found them to have far less edge grip compared to the Ntecs. I can get 2 race days out of a rear Ntec, but it's starting to move around a bit by the end of a weekend. I can then get another day out of that tyre at a track day before needing to replace it. The front Ntecs last ages. I can get 7 or 8 days out of a front, but I use the UK Ntec on the front as they offer a bit better grip.
Ah, the much deliberated tyre question.

as above, if you can afford the Dunlops then go with them.

Most street/ road tyres are ok ish on a track day untill you try to push them, they dont really like tyre warmers too much as they are not designed to run at such high temps, and as a result the tyre overheats causing loss of grip.
if you want to stick to a fast track tyre but still want the the aid of a tread pattern you can use Dunlop D212GP pro, these are a really good treaded tyre and will stand upto pretty much all you can throw at them and are DOT approved. but do need warmers.

if you make the switch to slicks, Dunlop Kr108/ 106 is the about the best on the market, they give really good feedback through the tyres and dont just let go when they are at the limit of grip( if you can find it that is), they run a really low 22PSI HOT pressure on the rear, 34psi HOT on the front.

if you are a confident rider that can push hard straight out of the gate then give them a go, if not, go with the treaded option, as you may find the slicks make you slower if your not confident enough to push them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in