Thunderhill Questions? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-30-2006, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Thunderhill Questions?

Just thought I'd check to see if anyone had some info for me about Thunderhill Raceway Park.

I've just signed my son up for a two-day novice school with Lance Keigwin's organization. And since it's a 500 mile drive for us, figured I may as well sign up for the trackday the day before his classes so I can play, too.

So, we'll be up there September 17, 18 & 19. (Sunday - Tuesday)

Since I've never been there before, I'm looking for any feedback, pointers, hotel info, garage rental info or anything else that some of the regulars or locals might provide.

I have no idea what to expect as far as weather, track conditions and amenities, etc. So anything you guys have would be appreciated.

Also, anyone else planning on going to the trackday on the 17th?

Thanks,
CC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-30-2006, 09:30 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

well, i'm from redding, about an hour north. its gonna be ridiculously hot. bring lots of water. as for hotels, there are two major hotels 10 minutes down the road. lots of fast food and what not. no garage rentals, its a pretty minimal facitlity. basically all they are gonna have for you at the track is gas/water/air. and i'm not even sure about the air. they have a giant overhang built, kinda like a giant car-port, so at least there is some shade. as far as the track, turn 9 catches a lot of people going to fast, and turn 5 is a mini corkscrew, so lots of people crash there. i've been to many track days there in my car, but only 1 on a bike, and it rained most of the day. have fun man!!
post #3 of 10 Old 07-30-2006, 09:36 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to lavudyar
Lance runs the absolute best trackdays I've ever done, period. You will have great lunches, tons of support and major safety. So while the track doesn't offer much, Lance does.

The track is fun except for the stupid Cyclone (turn 5 Corkscrew wannabe) and yes, turn 9 can get you offroad over the hill. The track is very fast, literbikes can expect to see 165 or better on the front straight into 100-120mph turn 1.

Ray D
Never pet a burning dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-30-2006, 10:30 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Ahhhhhhhh yes t-hill.
my home away from home of organizing trackdays for 10yrs there.

As already mentioned Keigwin has a great crew that ensures a quality time as well as a good time so rest assured they are well organized and professional.

As for t-hill itself its one of if not the safest tracks for MC and if your able to get any current arial views of the complex you'll see what i mean.

The summer time heat is daunting so shade is a premium just as H20 is so if your not able to secure a spot under the huge carport then be prepared to bring shade.
The track surface is abrasive and hell on tires so use a compound capable of withstanding the ambient heat as well as surface heat. The left sides will take the majority of the abuse here.

BD

post #5 of 10 Old 07-31-2006, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Excellent info, guys. Thanks.

Sounds like Best Western is the hot tip. And I'll have to remember to bring my EZ-Up and plenty of H2O.

BD, I can't imagine that it gets any hotter than Buttonwillow, so I'll probably run the same compound 209s that I run there. Last time out (couple weeks ago) was 110F. Running through Riverside up to Lost Hills, I had the thought that it felt as if I'd opened an oven and stuck my head inside before inhaling. Brutally hot. From what Lance said, it should be a little cooler than that.

Talked to Lance for about 20 minutes yesterday, after I posted. Very cool and helpful. Talked to him about my son starting to ride and I now feel that Lance's 2-day Novice School will be a great way to go. He said he also started his kids on a Ninja 250.

He offered to let me drop our trailer & bikes off the night b4 to store them in the paddock. He and about 12 other people will be camping there, essentially providing security. Can't wait.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 07-31-2006 at 07:33 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-31-2006, 10:09 AM

Posting Frequency

cool

BD

post #7 of 10 Old 07-31-2006, 10:47 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to lavudyar
Yeah, I really miss Lance's trackdays. And if you happen upon a smaller rider on a 600 with 'Keigwin' on the back of the leathers, be real nice passing - that's Lance's wife Linda!

Ray D
Never pet a burning dog.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-31-2006, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the tip. I'm always nice about passing, tho.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-31-2006, 07:39 PM

Posting Frequency

do you signal when merging?

BD

post #10 of 10 Old 07-31-2006, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Of course. But depending on the circumstances, sometimes I can only free up one finger to signal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in