swingarm extensions advantage and disadvantage? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 07-28-2006, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Shorty's Performance

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to madnessracing Send a message via MSN to madnessracing
swingarm extensions advantage and disadvantage?

drag racers can you guys tell me whats good and not good?i want to extend my bike 6"in....thanks...

Shorty's Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 07-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Never extended my bike because I use my bike for everything...long trips, short trips around town..whatever. Extending you will be able to launch at much higher RPMs and get better times. I like stock wheelbase because it's more of a challenge because it requires carefull throttle and clutch control to stop the wheelies to get good times, extended not so much.
post #3 of 41 Old 07-28-2006, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Shorty's Performance

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to madnessracing Send a message via MSN to madnessracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil
Never extended my bike because I use my bike for everything...long trips, short trips around town..whatever. Extending you will be able to launch at much higher RPMs and get better times. I like stock wheelbase because it's more of a challenge because it requires carefull throttle and clutch control to stop the wheelies to get good times, extended not so much.
thanks blue im just afraid on looping this thing you know.. i drag race FWD cars but and i want to star racing the 10 but i dont want to risk it much.

Shorty's Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 07-28-2006, 11:11 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I would only go 3-4 inches, you'll still have an all around bike. At 6 you'll have big traction problems unless its a track only bike. I took mine to 4.5 and its still fun to hit the twisties on.

'05 ZX-10R
'09 Streetglide
post #5 of 41 Old 07-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnessracing
thanks blue im just afraid on looping this thing you know.. i drag race FWD cars but and i want to star racing the 10 but i dont want to risk it much.
if you stay at stock wheelbase it just takes practice and baby steps...start at very low RPMs and learn to let the clutch out slowely as you open the throttle hard(slipping the clutch)...after a while you will get comfortable to launch aggressively with stock wheelbase and get more aggresive. Yes it's easy to loop a bike like the 10 and many other bikes as well, but with practice at the strip you will be good to go and take down many bikes on the 10 and will have better times than some 200K cars...that is the Iceing on the cake when it gets better...Good luck whatever you decide.
post #6 of 41 Old 07-28-2006, 11:18 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

i'm extended 7inches and drive all over . did a 200 mile ride up north the only thing that sucked is that i was geared so the highway sucked. too high rpm's. as long as you dont want to put a knee down in a corner its not bad at all.alot of people think its bad but alot dont have it extended so they just talk what they think not what they know.do it you wont regret it. trust me. just my opinion. thax.
post #7 of 41 Old 07-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric
i'm extended 7inches and drive all over . did a 200 mile ride up north the only thing that sucked is that i was geared so the highway sucked. too high rpm's. as long as you dont want to put a knee down in a corner its not bad at all.alot of people think its bad but alot dont have it extended so they just talk what they think not what they know.do it you wont regret it. trust me. just my opinion. thax.
Never said you couldn't drive anywhere Eric.....just giving the skinny on the diff. between stock base and extended on the strip....Now tell Madness what rpm you launch at extended and what you did if you ever did on a 10 with stock wheelbase...bet it's at least 2k rpms higher...
post #8 of 41 Old 07-28-2006, 11:51 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil
Never said you couldn't drive anywhere Eric.....just giving the skinny on the diff. between stock base and extended on the strip....Now tell Maddness what rpm you launch at extended and what you did if you ever did on a 10 with stock wheelbase...bet it's at least 2k rpms higher...

i couldnt launch for shit on my stock 10r.i would alway's wheelie. the extension made a huge difference im not afraid to go all out. before i would have in my head i was going back flip it and that would just fu8g with my launches.now i dont think i just go all out.
post #9 of 41 Old 07-28-2006, 11:53 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

i almost did flip it over once so thats where i questioned myself and if you do that your fugged right from the get go.
post #10 of 41 Old 07-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric

i couldnt launch for shit on my stock 10r.i would alway's wheelie. the extension made a huge difference im not afraid to go all out. before i would have in my head i was going back flip it and that would just fu8g with my launches.now i dont think i just go all out.
cool Eric..can't wait to one day do extensions, but not before I perfect stock wheel base....I think I am only half way there to get to that point but appreciate your take on it....and an extended 10 looks cool too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in