Is Suzuki using Traction Control in AMA? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
View Poll Results: Does Suziki use Traction Control in AMA?
Heck no! The bike/rider combo is just that good! 13 15.29%
No, that sputtering sound is just good tuning! 8 9.41%
Yes they do and AMA does not know! 4 4.71%
Yes they do and AMA is looking the other way! 47 55.29%
Yes!! its just our guys don't know how to make it work! 13 15.29%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 Old 05-04-2006, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Is Suzuki using Traction Control in AMA?

OK, I have been to Barber for two years and have heard Mladin's bike cut out like you pulled two plug wires when he opened up the throttle at any lean angle. Others have heard the same sound from his bike at other tracks and have noted it as well.
Sooo, does this explain why the GSXR puts together such great laps when it appears this year that the bike does not have the breakaway power on the straights to pull the Honda and Kawasaki?
Juss another poll to consider and express your thoughts..legal, unfair or nonsense.

My bike won masterbike...did yours?
I didn't think so...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 05-04-2006, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Just so you know, Mat Mladin is the nicest guy at the track! I am a fan of both Mladin and Spies who is also nice. Not Suzuki bashing..it is a great bike. I have not had the love shown by any of the Hayden brothers at the two events I have been to...(Nicky was almost rude and Roger was aloof at the last Barber race). Hey, they are busy and the fact that I paid for pit access does not mean they have to be nice to me..BUT I do believe something is up with the Suzuki superbikes and 3 of us heard the same thing lap after lap and the other bikes did not spit and sputter when nailed in the corners. TC can be turned off manually when you do burnouts and it can sense when the bike is upright for great power wheelies (electronically). Moto GP bikes have used this for years.

I didn't think so...

post #3 of 93 Old 05-04-2006, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Another opinion from ZX10RZone:

posted May 01, 2006 09:24 PM AMA Superbikes - No Contest for Cheaters
I was at Fontana at the weekend standing right on the exit of one of the infield turns. It was blatently obvious that the only reason the Suzukis were up front was because of their traction control. You could hear the ignition cutting out as they accelerated away in a really unfair fashion. All the rest just seemed to be struggling with grip and a mile behind. Doug Chandler i'm sure is faster than that.
My point here is that there is no way any privateer would have a chance at getting anywhere close to a factory bike with the pathetic AMA controlling the rule book. Last I heard there wasn't a traction control system offered as standard factory equiment on any streetbike yet, but how does Suzuki get away with it?? Maybe the AMA scrutineers need to sit on a corner of any race track and hear these things go by. Or are their eyes and ears turned the other way? This, like the Formula Extreme rubbish is ruining road racing in this country.
With the AMA's recent history of messing things up (Ricky Carmicheal - lets give his points back. Hold on, that's a Suzuki as well) and most of their staff getting fired or making a run for it, the time seems pretty ripe for a break away series with real rules that give everyone a chance.

I didn't think so...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 93 Old 05-04-2006, 08:18 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to luckz88 Send a message via Yahoo to luckz88
They may or may not have it. I haven't been to a race yet so I can't really voice my opinion on the sounds. I will be at VIR when they make it up here. I just think that suzuki has there stuff together and with their riders they are hard to beat. just my .02 cents

NESBA #88

Madness Racing wishes he could handle the power of a GSXR

All my homies left this site
post #5 of 93 Old 05-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

After seeing the preseason test Mladin did at phillip island i reckon they must have something.

He lapped faster than Corser who definatly has traction control and there is no way it should given the higher state of tune the WSBKs have.

Black and Green 05 ZX10R - Race Bike
post #6 of 93 Old 05-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Oh ya for sure, in turns 2 and 3 at Barber this year Spies and Maladin's bikes were pulling like freight trains while sounding like they were running on 2 cylinders? Hummmmmm..... interesting how bikes can run that fast while "missing"

"That there Clark is a R.V." Cousin Eddie, Christmas Vacation
post #7 of 93 Old 05-04-2006, 09:14 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I heard that noise from those two bikes at Barbers too. Never thought about traction control though it does make sense. "don't know"
post #8 of 93 Old 05-04-2006, 09:21 AM
VOL
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Oh yes I heard the popping at barber this year. If they do have it and its not against AMA rules I say more power to them.

ZX-10ESSEE
post #9 of 93 Old 05-04-2006, 10:24 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

simple explaination. yes.. they have it.. if its what you call traction control. they've admitted it and explained how it works (to industry insiders).

the system works on a tip/map sensor and is gear dependent. when the bike goes into corners the ignition map cuts spark to 1 cylinder, notice the newly found suzuki ability to spit flames outta the exhaust? watch the Daytona race especially.. its popping going into the corners.. because its spitting out raw fuel. when the bike is at full lean the ignition cuts spark and the bike runs on 3 cylinders.. coming out of the corners it remains on 3 cylinders until a programmed point inwhich it puts all the cylinders back into operation. its obviously to minimize wheelspin by reducing power mid-corner.

HOWEVER.. the AMA isnt turning a blind eye to this.. they just simply have nothing they can do at this point to regulate it. they arent using a standard rear wheel sensor/traction control system.. its ignition mapping. is it traction control? well yes thats its purpose.. but from a technical aspect no.. its just tuning. the AMA is unsure how to regulate that type of tuning, all the while maintaining the rule that allows fuel/ignition mapping. more or less if they limit the Suzuki's from doing what they're doing.. the Powercommander will become an illegal item in racing. (even though the factory bikes are using WAY more advanced tuning methods than powercommanders, it illustrates my point.)

now is it cheating? guess that depends on how you look at it.. rule book says no, and thats why there havent been any protests.. but looking at the margin of victory Suzuki is winning with, they've certainly got something the others dont.
post #10 of 93 Old 05-04-2006, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Great info Brandon! Could it be an accelerometer array that tells the bike's ecu that it has lateral forces (in a corner) ? Then no matter what the ham fisted rider does there will only be 3 cylinders to fire a wheelspin (not likely).
I wonder does it alternate which cylinder is shut off to minimize a fouled plug scenario? Heck, I just wonder.....nonetheless it works whether it is that or rectal sensor that detects pucker and shuts the cylinder off..LOL

I didn't think so...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in