Suspension for track - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-17-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Suspension for track

Okay I put this here so maybe some who race or do a lot trackdays can chime in. I just got off the phone with GMD Computrack going to be taking my bike to them in May to get my whole suspension redone. Just want to know what you think about what I am going to get done.
Getting Racetech valves put in forks and a Penske Double Clicker on the rear and I am going to have them put it on the Computrack Machine to make sure all is aligned properly and they will be stting the suspension up for me.
Has anyone used them before? If so how was it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-17-2008, 10:16 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Dunno on the above.
I just slapped a full set of ohlins suspension on the bike. And boy did it make a big improvement on track. Super stable in the corners. Made riding so much easier.

BKK
post #3 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 06:07 AM

Posting Frequency

Hey BKK, how are ya doin man...

I love the Ohlins on my bike too... took a few seconds off my lap times, and feels great... transformed the handling more than any thing... :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbear70 View Post
Hey BKK, how are ya doin man...

I love the Ohlins on my bike too... took a few seconds off my lap times, and feels great... transformed the handling more than any thing... :)
I'm doin great Sunbear
I just fitted ohlins forks a week ago. And boy what a difference! Loads more fun to be had on track now. Loving every second of it. Going back to track tomorrow.

BKK
post #5 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 07:13 AM

Posting Frequency

Nice one... go get em man...

I'm back at the track this Friday... pin that throttle... :)
post #6 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 07:18 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Will do. Also going on Sunday!!

BKK
post #7 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

From those that I have talked to that have done this, they say it is night and day difference in how the bike feels.

If you're not living on the edge, your taking up too much space!
post #8 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 09:19 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I"ve used GMD twice. The service I got from Kent up there was excellent and he treated me like I was going to be an AMA frontrunner rather than just some joe who was in there for suspension work. That being said, I personally do not believe in their "special" geometry setup. They are excellent at the measurements and frame straightening, setup, etc.. but there is no single magic setup that works for everyone. If our geometry is set the same and you weigh 220 and sit on the back of the seat and I weigh 140 and sit practically on the gas tank their setup is instantly thrown out the window. Personally I'd let them measure it and build the forks & install the shock but then just get the basic setup NOT the chassis optimization. It's rather pricey and you may actually hate the end result. Go experiement and see what feels good to you. My .02
post #9 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog78 View Post
I"ve used GMD twice. The service I got from Kent up there was excellent and he treated me like I was going to be an AMA frontrunner rather than just some joe who was in there for suspension work. That being said, I personally do not believe in their "special" geometry setup. They are excellent at the measurements and frame straightening, setup, etc.. but there is no single magic setup that works for everyone. If our geometry is set the same and you weigh 220 and sit on the back of the seat and I weigh 140 and sit practically on the gas tank their setup is instantly thrown out the window. Personally I'd let them measure it and build the forks & install the shock but then just get the basic setup NOT the chassis optimization. It's rather pricey and you may actually hate the end result. Go experiement and see what feels good to you. My .02
Thanks that was the kinda response I was hoping for I was going to have them check on the Computrack machine because it has always seemed like my bike was not lined up properly. Since I am getting everything from them they are not going to charge for the shock install Kent seemed like a very knowledgeable person it will be May before I get it done and will be testing it out at Talladega GP right after so I will give a report on how it works out.

post #10 of 13 Old 03-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I used GMD down here in pompano beach,fl, and like mach_man said, it was absolutely night and day.

My initial reason for going with GMD was that I had blown both my fork seals, so rather than pay the money to just have my forks rebuilt, I opted to have GMD re-do it with the stock internals, then went for the chassis optimization. It was quite pricey, but to get back out on the track with a stock front end, stock rear shock and have it make that much of a difference was simply amazing. The bike was transformed into a different animal that I basically had to learn to ride all over again.

Shortly thereafter, I was able to find an ohlin's triple clicker, and after that I made the decision that GMD definitely had my business from now on. Their customer service down here is outstanding. When i found the Ohlin's triple for the rear, I took it in along with the 10, and they had it checked out, installed, and set for me within an hour, all at no charge. Another time, I went down at the track, brought the 10 up to them because I was scared of my forks being tweaked, and they checked it out within 20 minutes, made some adjustments, let me know it was good to go and I was on my way, free of charge. (i've seen/heard of many stories where people take their bikes in for the same thing @ other shops, only to be told that there is some damage and then charged a nice amount for it.)

all in all, I'm a firm believer of GMD's system and methods, and for me it was worth the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in