Street raced a Duc 999 tonight - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-09-2004, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Street raced a Duc 999 tonight

I was out for a little night time jaunt on the 10R heading to a deserted stretch of road off the beaten path. At a light before entering said road a Ducati 999S (I was to find out later) pulled alongside and starting revving. I did not rev back both because I think it is stupid plus the stock can does not sound very intimidating.

The light went green and he took off like a bullet. My maturity went out the window and I nailed it like I have never done before. By the time I hit second gear somewhere around 90mph according to the speedo, I was right on his tail. I shifted into second and opened it up full to accelerate straight past him (boy do those Ducs sound nice).

I stopped looking at my speedo after I saw 145mph. By that time I was well ahead of him and approaching a stop sign.

We both pulled over to the side of the road and admired each other's bikes. He said that he thought it was a 636 (all of my stickers are removed) and was shocked when I passed him. He was pretty cool and parted after shaking hands.

Some things I learned:

1. Maybe my Scotts damper made a difference in high speed handling, maybe not, but it did wonders for my confidence.
2. Above 100mph the stock windscreen is insufficient protection. It felt as though someone was peeling me off the bike by the scruff of my neck. Looks like a DB is in order.

2004 Black ZX-10R
Prepare for Ludicrous speed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-09-2004, 03:23 AM
TAZ
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via Yahoo to TAZ
fantastic story! oh yeah and good to hear you won.
________
SIDE EFFECTS OF ZOLOFT

Last edited by TAZ; 04-11-2011 at 01:09 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-09-2004, 04:23 AM

Posting Frequency

Re: Street raced a Duc 999 tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacCityZ
I was out for a little night time jaunt on the 10R heading to a deserted stretch of road off the beaten path. At a light before entering said road a Ducati 999S (I was to find out later) pulled alongside and starting revving. I did not rev back both because I think it is stupid plus the stock can does not sound very intimidating.

The light went green and he took off like a bullet. My maturity went out the window and I nailed it like I have never done before. By the time I hit second gear somewhere around 90mph according to the speedo, I was right on his tail. I shifted into second and opened it up full to accelerate straight past him (boy do those Ducs sound nice).

I stopped looking at my speedo after I saw 145mph. By that time I was well ahead of him and approaching a stop sign.

We both pulled over to the side of the road and admired each other's bikes. He said that he thought it was a 636 (all of my stickers are removed) and was shocked when I passed him. He was pretty cool and parted after shaking hands.

Some things I learned:

1. Maybe my Scotts damper made a difference in high speed handling, maybe not, but it did wonders for my confidence.
2. Above 100mph the stock windscreen is insufficient protection. It felt as though someone was peeling me off the bike by the scruff of my neck. Looks like a DB is in order.
You missed point number 3.
3. The 10R kicks serious italian ass!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-09-2004, 09:21 AM

Posting Frequency

nice... the Duc is definitely no match for the 10R. About a week ago I went riding with a guy on a race replica 999, one on an Aprilia Factory R, and one on a GXSR750. I stayed right with the Duc and Aprilia, and wasn't even trying... the 750 was a tiny speck in my mirrors....
post #5 of 12 Old 06-09-2004, 01:13 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Afterburner
Awesome...
________
C11

Last edited by Afterburner; 04-02-2011 at 11:47 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-09-2004, 07:50 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

A good running 999S will make about 125 - 130 rwhp, so it should be a pretty easy race for you. Shame on him for trying to pick on a little 600. Good job.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-09-2004, 11:23 PM

Posting Frequency

you shouldn't pick on poor little, overpriced italian bikes like that. :oops:
You might hurt somebody's feelings.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-09-2004, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I know he was overpowered by the 10. But it felt really good to tell my buddy about it. He is always talking about how superior Ducati is to the Japanese bikes. Some people just don't understand...

2004 Black ZX-10R
Prepare for Ludicrous speed!
post #9 of 12 Old 06-10-2004, 12:00 AM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I know he was overpowered by the 10. But it felt really good to tell my buddy about it. He is always talking about how superior Ducati is to the Japanese bikes. Some people just don't understand...
They are beatifuly crafted machines that perform and look really nice. Every bike is it own animal. The ZX10R is a beast and very fast but every bike is fun and has its own qualities.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-10-2004, 02:46 AM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Your buddy is just a victim of good marketing, he should read the article "branded" in the new motorcyclist. If he still disagrees with me after, he is in denial. I have dumb asses ask me all the time if I ride a Ducati, they don't know any better. They just see all the bling on MTV hip-hop videos and that's where their naive weak minds go. UGH! Don't get me started.... :roll:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in