LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 105 Old 02-04-2010, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Spoiler MotoGP - And So Begins MotoGP for 2010

NEWS Sepang, Malaysia 04/02/2010
Yamaha MotoGP Teams off to a flying start in Malaysia

Lorenzo - Rossi

Reigning World Champion Valentino Rossi got his pre-season off to the best possible start today, finishing fastest on the first day of testing in Sepang. His Fiat Yamaha team-mate and last season's runner-up Jorge Lorenzo also made a strong start, ending the day in fifth.

Both riders concentrated on completing as many laps as possible on the latest evolution of the 2010 YZR-M1 and, with the weather staying dry until just a few minutes before the end of the session, it was a productive day all round. Rossi led the way and was one of four riders to dip under the existing lap record. His time of 2'01.411, set this morning on his 15th of 54 laps, was half a second quicker than second-placed Casey Stoner.

Lorenzo found it a little harder to get back into the swing of things and took it gently this morning, but he felt much more comfortable on the new M1 this afternoon and gradually began to improve his time, setting his best time of 2'02.165 on the penultimate lap of the day, leaving him in fifth.
Valentino Rossi - Position: 1st Time: 2'01.411 Laps: 54
"Today was very important because this year we have just six days of testing in which to set the bike, so we can not waste any time. This first day was very positive, we tried the new bike for 2010, with a different chassis and a new engine, which can do more kilometres, and it is quite fast. Yamaha has worked very well over the winter. Now we need to spend time on setting some electronics and other things. This is only the start but it seems we're already in good shape."
Jorge Lorenzo - Position: 5th Time: 2'02.165 Laps: 57
"After such a long break I found it quite hard to find my rhythm on the bike today - motocross bikes are not the same as the new M1! It was quite a difficult start to the day but little by little i started to feel more comfortable and to improve my pace. This afternoon, when it was a bit warmer, i began to improve my times even more and get closer to the first rider, so in the end I was quite happy with our work. Yamaha have brought some good things for us; the bike is not completely different to the old one but the small details make it easier to ride and this is important. Today was my first day of riding with my new team manager, Wilco Zeelenberg, and I feel good with him. He is an ex rider and so we were able to share a lot of information and he was able to give me some good advice."

Colin Edwards makes flying start to 2010 in Sepang

Refreshed after a long winter break and boosted by the impressive performance of Yamaha's new 2010 YZR-M1 machine, Colin Edwards produced a stunning return to MotoGP action at the Sepang circuit in Malaysia today.

The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 rider ended the first day of 2010 pre-season testing with the third fastest time, a best lap of 2.01.932 only bettered by Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner as the MotoGP paddock reconvened after a three-month winter break.

Edwards completed 48 laps in typically demanding Sepang conditions as air temperatures reached close to 40 degrees and track temperatures hitting a searing 60 degrees. Edwards, who finished fifth in last y ear's MotoGP world championship, was one of four riders who managed to lap under the existing lap record and he finished just 0.030s behind Stoner. The Texan was thrilled with the performance of Yamaha's new 2010 YZR-M1 machine, particularly with bottom end performance on the in-line four-cylinder motor.

Ben Spies kicked off his 2010 challenge with a fastest lap of 2.03.142 helping the reigning World Superbike champion secure 12th spot. A chronic bout of jetlag after the long trip to Kuala Lumpur stopped Spies from displaying his true potential, with the Texan continuing to adjust to the prototype YZR-M1 machine while also trying to learn the long and technical Sepang circuit.

Colin Edwards

Colin Edwards - Position: 3rd Time: 2.01.932 Laps: 48 laps
“After I blew off a few cobwebs this morning I've got to say the bike worked really great and I've got to say a big thanks to Yamaha. They have impressed me because we knew it was a big challenge to achieve a high level of performance while also getting more durability out of the engine for the new rules. And they have done that and I'm really happy, so I'm already excited about the new season. The engine seems much better off the bottom. Last year I'd open the throttle and nothing really happened, but this year there's a response when you push. I never even touched the bike today, I just got on it and rode it and it felt really natural and I could do what I wanted with the bike. It accelerated how I wanted, I could hold a line how I wanted and I was riding round talking to myself inside my helmet saying ‘how much fun is this?' When the bike does what you ask, it's pretty easy. It was a great way to start what hopefully is going to be another successful year with Herve Poncharal and the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team.”
Ben Spies

Ben Spies - Position: 12th Time: 2.03.142 Laps: 55 laps
“I tried as hard as I could for the first day but I've got a little bit of jetlag and I wasn't at 100 per cent. Despite that though the new bike is really good. I got behind a couple of people and the engine performance was really good and that is a real positive. I'm still working on my mid-corner speed and trusting the Bridgestone tyres and today was still a good day even if I'd like to have been a bit further up the timesheets. My times aren't far off on a track that these guys know like the back of their hand, so I know there is plenty more to come from me. My guy's asked me what I need to work on for tomorrow and right now it's just me. There's a good half-a-second just in myself. I've got a lot to learn and it takes time. I've already been getting a lot of help and advice from Colin about the track and that is great for me and for the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team that we are working together like that.”

Test Times
1. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha Team 2'01.411
2. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team 2'01.902
3. Colin Edwards (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2'01.932
4. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2'02.102
5. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha Team 2'02.165
6. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Repsol Honda Team 2'02.630
7. Nicky Hayden (USA) Ducati Marlboro Team 2'02.792
8. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 2'02.866
9. Mika Kallio (FIN) Pramac Green Team 2'02.987
10. Hector Barbera (SPA) Aspar Team 2'03.030
11. Aleix Espargaro (SPA) Pramac Green Team 2'03.133
12. Ben Spies (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2'03.142
13. Randy de Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda MotoGP 2'03.456
14. Alvaro Bautista (SPA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2'03.558
15. Marco Simoncelli (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 2'03.609
16. Marco Melandri (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 2'03.609
17. Hiroshi Aoyama (JAP) Interwetten-Honda MotoGP 2'03.651

Sepang: Record Lap
C. Stoner (Ducati) 2007, 2'02.108

Sepang: Best Lap
V. Rossi (Yamaha) 2009, 2'00.518

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 Old 02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

What is on Ben's head ?! -Arai , and on leathers you have HJC logo !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18546_1320492446622_1060130415_979301_8198783_n.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	122103   Click image for larger version

Name:	18546_1320492086613_1060130415_979293_1207020_n.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	122104   Click image for larger version

Name:	20680_1305643756119_1081260249_1885742_6713326_n.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	122105  

At my signal, unleash hell....

The GO SHOW !

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...21722087857607
post #3 of 105 Old 02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Sounds like that Yamaha is much improved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 105 Old 02-04-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsa View Post
What is on Ben's head ?! -Arai , and on leathers you have HJC logo !!
Nice catch - I missed that in the review of some pics. It's nice how they blanked out the logo.

If you go to yamaha-racing.com there are a bunch or pics from the unveiling of the new livery I was amazed to see how much Valentino appears to have aged.
post #5 of 105 Old 02-05-2010, 03:19 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to ZX10BURNER
Colin gave Ben a helmet to ride with so he'd slow his ass down

It's Not denial, I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.
post #6 of 105 Old 02-05-2010, 03:55 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

thanks rwaki, I never get to see or read up on this stuff but enjoy it very much. Great post, rep sent.

post #7 of 105 Old 02-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Nice read, thanks for posting rkwaki.

post #8 of 105 Old 02-05-2010, 07:49 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

And thanks for the pics TOMSA.
post #9 of 105 Old 02-05-2010, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by flthy1 View Post
thanks rwaki, I never get to see or read up on this stuff but enjoy it very much. Great post, rep sent.

I get stuff from Yamaha or MotoGP.com almost daily so I will have to throw it on here.
post #10 of 105 Old 02-05-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Here is day 2 - Check out Spies

NEWS Sepang, Malaysia 05/02/2010
Yamaha MotoGP Teams complete a successful second day of testing in Malaysia

Valentino Rossi

Valentino Rossi led the way for the second day running in Sepang today, concluding the first test of the year on top of the standings. His Fiat Yamaha team-mate Jorge Lorenzo was also on the pace today, finishing the test third fastest behind Casey Stoner.

Rain this morning meant the track did not fully dry out until lunchtime and it was after one o'clock before Rossi left the garage on his 2010 YZR-M1. The World Champion, who turns 31 in ten days time, completed 32 laps and set a best time of 2'00.925, only half a second slower than the record pole time for the track, which he set last year. Lorenzo put in a few laps in the late morning but the track was still wet in places and so he, too, waited until after lunch to really get started. The 22-year-old made a big improvement from yesterday and felt much more comfortable on the bike, finishing third fastest in a time of 2'01.680 after 60 laps.

The team will return to Sepang at the end of the month for the second of three pre-season tests.

Rossi and Burgess

Valentino Rossi - Position: 1st Time: 2'00.925 Laps: 32
"After yesterday this second day has been very good as well, even though we lost a few hours to the rain, and the end we were still able to finish all our work. We worked on the new bike to find a better setting and I was happy to be the fastest overall - even though this is just testing this is important for me! At the next test we will have a few more new things but we're already happy because we're fast and strong. There is room to improve of course; Sepang is always a good track for the Yamaha so we will have to wait until Qatar to get a better understanding of our level, but we have made a great start."
Jorge Lorenzo

Jorge Lorenzo - Position: 3rd Time: 2'01.680 Laps: 60
"I felt much better today and I was able to be fast straight away. It wasn't a big problem yesterday, it's just that after such a long break I forget how to ride a little bit! I need a bit of time, but it was much better today. I'm happy about my performance and about my feeling with the new bike. Yamaha have made good improvements without changing the best parts of the bike and this is the best way. They have made some good modifications to the chassis and the engine and this has already improved our pace. We don't have many days on the bike until the start of the season so we will make the most of the time here next month to continue our good work."

Ben Spies and Colin Edwards happy with Sepang test
The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team ended its first track action of 2010 in positive mood after a rain-hit final day of MotoGP testing at the Sepang circuit in Malaysia.

Colin Edwards and Ben Spies were unable to begin any meaningful testing until the track had completely dried this afternoon after heavy morning rain badly disrupting this morning's session. Once damp patches had cleared though the Texan duo were able to make significant progress, taking full advantage of the valuable track time before further heavy rain brought an early end to proceedings at 5pm.

Texan Spies showed more of his true potential today when he clocked the fifth quickest time, despite the reigning World Superbike champion still feeling below his physical best.

Working closely with his Monster Yamaha Tech 3 crew, Spies focused his efforts on continuing to adapt his riding style to the YZR-M1 machine. The American made significant progress with his braking style and managed to slice close to a second off his best lap time set yesterday with a time of 2.02.266 in his 31-lap stint.

Edwards, who was third quickest yesterday, finished seventh fastest with a best time of 2.02.479. That was just 0.2s slower than Spies as the 35-year-old evaluated several different chassis and swingarm setting options.

The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad will be back on track at Sepang for another two-day test session later this month before winter testing concludes in Qatar in March.
Ben Spies - Position 5th Time: 2'02.266 Laps: 31
“I rode as good and as hard as I could considering how I've been feeling. I'm not wanting to make any excuses but I didn't feel really good with the jetlag. It was still a good test because I learned a lot about improving my riding and adapting my style to suit the Yamaha MotoGP bike. It is hard to break some of my old superbike habits at the moment but I made some big improvements in a couple of places on the track where I was really struggling, particularly in the braking. It started to feel more natural today and I got down to some decent times on race tyres. I was a second faster than the first day, so we made some good progress but this is a really difficult track to learn. This track is really long and really wide, but I got to a respectable pace. I've said it a load of times but it's a learning process and every lap I'm learning. My guys at Monster Yamaha Tech 3 though have been brilliant again. We're all putting in a lot of effort and I'm pleased with the steps I've made.”

Colin Edwards - Position:7th Time: 2'02.479 Laps: 42
“This has been a great test and I'm really happy. The big bonus of the test has been the performance of the engine. Putting it simply it seems they have made the engine with more power and more reliable.

Accelerating off the corner was a problem last season but with the new engine it is a strong point. I tried a few things with the chassis and at this stage of the year it is all about crossing off pieces that work and those that don't. We found a couple of things that improved the bike and gave me more confidence and a couple of things we need to work on. It's been a great first test and hopefully we can carry this momentum on for the rest of the pre-season and into the serious business of the racing.”
Test Times:
1. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha Team 2'00.925
2. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team 2'01.320
3. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha Team 2'01.680
4. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 2'01.822
5. Ben Spies (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2'02.266
6. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Repsol Honda Team 2'02.272
7. Colin Edwards (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2'02.479
8. Nicky Hayden (USA) Ducati Marlboro Team 2'02.493
9. Aleix Espargaro (SPA) Pramac Green Team 2'02.647
10. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2'02.763
11. Marco Melandri (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 2'02.810
12. Hector Barbera (SPA) Aspar Team 2'03.032
13. Randy de Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda MotoGP 2'03.043
14. Hiroshi Aoyama (JAP) Interwetten-Honda MotoGP 2'03.195
15. Marco Simoncelli (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 2'03.245
16. Alvaro Bautista (SPA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2'03.274
17. Mika Kallio (FIN) Pramac Green Team 2'03.359

Sepang: Record Lap
C. Stoner (Ducati) 2007, 2'02.108

Sepang: Best Lap
V. Rossi (Yamaha) 2009, 2'00.518

E. [email protected] W. www.yamaha-racing.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in