Short Q&A with AMA Pro Racing - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Accountant in training.

Posting Frequency

Short Q&A with AMA Pro Racing

They respond to some of the questions about saftey cars, and Buell being allowed to run 1125cc...

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/25march09_controvesy.htm

Quote:
Q and A with AMA Pro Racing: Daytona Safety Car Controversy and Buell Displacement Advantage
By Gabe Ets-Hokin

If you watched the 2009 Daytona 200, you probably enjoyed the close racing action, spills and thrills. But you may have a few questions and concerns about the safety of the racers and fairness of the class structure. Track illumination lights conked out, riders went down to avoid the "safety" car that was out on track during the yellow flag periods, and Danny Eslick on his Buell - with a 525cc displacement advantage over the 600cc Inline Four competition - had no trouble pulling the big-bucks factory-prepped Yamaha YZF-R6 racebike of winner Ben Bostrom and the Suzuki GSX-R600 of second-place finisher Jason DiSalvo. Eslick's bike later lost ground when fairing repairs necessitated an extended pitstop.

Our readers wrote in, some expressing very strong opinions of what they thought of the new AMA Pro Racing with its new (and some say NASCAR-ish) approach to motorcycle racing. I gave my media credentials a workout and called AMA Pro Racing, where VP for Marketing and Communications Ollie Dean generously took the time to answer my questions.

MD: Why have a safety car?

OD: The purpose of the Safety Car is to allow AMA Pro Road Racing officials to deal with incidents without having to red flag and restart events. Red flags cause significant delays to restage the riders in their running order and causes the need for additional sighting laps and warm-up laps to allow for tires to regain their heat prior to resuming competition. For the two classes that utilize standing starts, American Superbike and Supersport, the additional restarts have also demonstrated concerns in the past with deterioration with the clutch units, which is avoided by using the safety car.

Obviously, there are circumstances where there are no alternatives to red flagging a race and stopping all racing activity, as would be the case when the racing surface is blocked and it is impossible to proceed with the movement of safety vehicles (ambulances and fire crews). However, the majority of instances that occur happen when a rider has experienced some problem and is off the racing surface. By utilizing the safety car, it is possible to control the racing field and allow for the immediate movement of safety vehicles and then to immediately resume the competition, without having to stop and restart an event.

The safety car has been used for more than 20 years at the Daytona 200, for the past three years at Moto ST events and has proven to be an effective way to allow for response to incidents on or near the racing surface, without having to stop and restart an event.

MD: What happened during the 200, when two riders went down avoiding the safety car?
OD: A red flag was called by the corner worker supervisor when a rider made contact with another rider in the area of the back straight of the circuit near the entrance to the chicane. This situation occurred while the safety car was on course and the field was assembling behind the safety car. According to reports from officials near the incident, the rider that made contact with the other participant misjudged his speed and did not allow sufficient stopping distance when closing on the field of riders who were circulating the course under full-course yellow flag conditions.

MD: What will you do to avoid future incidents?

OD: AMA Pro Racing continues to work with riders at rider meetings and conducts safety-car practices at each event to help riders acclimate to the use of the safety car at each event.

MD: Why is the Buell 1125R given such a large displacement advantage over other models (i.e. Inline-Fours, Triples and other Twins)? How do you respond to criticism that Buell somehow has undue influence over class structure and rules?

OD: The Daytona SportBike class is designed to allow the participation of a variety of two, three and four-cylinder machines of different designs. This eclectic assembly of motorcycles is consistent with the makeup of the class (which ran in past years under the name of Formula Xtreme, which allowed for machines ranging from 550cc four-valve, liquid cooled, four cylinder bikes to 1350cc two-valve, twin cylinder air cooled bikes). Daytona SportBike allows for a similar mix of equipment that is based on weight and performance characteristics that allow for balanced competition among a large and varying range of motorcycle designs.

Dynamometer, top speed, radar and weight testing has been conducted for all of the machines that are approved for competition in Daytona SportBike, and our experience over the first three races in 2009 has confirmed to us that we have been able to provide exciting competition among a diverse assembly of machines on a level playing field. The results from this past weekend have as many as six different brands of motorcycles in the top eight finishing positions

While anyone can criticize the classification of machinery for the Daytona SportBike class, AMA Pro Racing can assure any critics that all manufactures have been consulted during the development of the Daytona SportBike rules for competition and that no manufacturer has tried to exert "undue influence" during the development of these rules. No such action occurred and none would be tolerated.

The Daytona SportBike results speak for themselves. If one looks at the average times of the fastest laps, for the top two finishing machines from each of the brands competing in the event this past weekend at Fontana, the results indicate that the winning brand falls behind at least three other brands in performance.

©Copyright Motorcycle Daily, LLC. All rights reserved. No part of this service may be reproduced, reprinted or republished in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise without written permission from Motorcycle Daily, LLC.

Copyright © Motorcycle Daily, LLC
if I buy it...

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Guilty by association

Posting Frequency

why dont they just come out and say it, the reason for a pace car is because nascar uses them so should American motorcycle racing. "faulty clutches"??????????????sounds fucking lame to me

-I come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, Iíll kill you all.
General "Mad Dog" Mattis
post #3 of 7 Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

" OD: The Daytona SportBike class is designed to allow the participation of a variety of two, three and four-cylinder machines of different designs. This eclectic assembly of motorcycles is consistent with the makeup of the class (which ran in past years under the name of Formula Xtreme, which allowed for machines ranging from 550cc four-valve, liquid cooled, four cylinder bikes to 1350cc two-valve, twin cylinder air cooled bikes). Daytona SportBike allows for a similar mix of equipment that is based on weight and performance characteristics that allow for balanced competition among a large and varying range of motorcycle designs. "

This still does not answer the question why Buell's 1125 Water Cooled Rotax Twin Engine (making almost 140hp stock) is in this class, he basically dodged the question, notice he did not go into specific dyno numbers as well, I would love to know what the Race version of that bike is putting to the ground vs the 600's.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-25-2009, 11:17 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Sounds like a load of BS to me. Dodging the question and state it's equal doesn't cut it for me. Sadly, I am still watching this crap. Now it is more just to see what craziness happens next.

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #5 of 7 Old 03-26-2009, 08:18 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

they just dont want to admit that they screwed the whole series over. some fast talkng there with no real answers.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Custom Powder Coater

Posting Frequency

My Brothere was just telling me that those buells were kciking are ass in the 1/4. Those extra 2 valves are badass

www.sportbikepc.com
Sport Bike Powder Coating,LLC
Custom Powder Coating & Authorized Dealer for:
ASV Levers,Brocks Performance,Carrozzeria Wheels,Core Moto Brake Lines, EarthX Batteries,Sato Racing, SuperSprox..
PM or [email protected] for pricing..
post #7 of 7 Old 03-26-2009, 08:38 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

They could easily point out that Hacking had the fastest race lap at Fontana. Which demonstrates to them that the class is equal. But unlike NASCAR, in motorcycle racing the rider has a much bigger influence over the overall performance package. And they can tap dance around the fact that the Buell has a tremendous advantage off of the turns and down the straight. And that HP advantage allowed a mediocre rider to beat a far superior rider. DMG is attempting to level the playing field but it will never be level unless they have the same rider on ever different brand of bike. It is just totally stupid.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in