Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Running low psi in your pilot powers for street and track?Seems A high psi is better

1K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  GoFaster 
#1 · (Edited)
#11 ·
I too was mislead by a local Michelin vendor. Then, while @ the track, Dale of Racers Edge showed me a Pilot Power tire and a Pilot Race tire. The contrast in side wall integrity was fantanstic. The Pilot Power side wall was soft and pliable. The Pilot Race Sidewall was stiff and non-compliant. The conclusion is obvious- The tire with a softer sidewall requires a higher air pressure; and, the tire with a stiffer sidewall requires a lower air pressure.

Additionally, as mentioned above, the Pilot Powers are Silca based and are virtually non responsive to heat or heat cycles. Pilot Race, conversely, are very responsive to heat and heat cycles.

#12 ·
Roadracingworld tested pilot powers on a 636 and did 30F 28R. they even had a guy to argued with them saying that they should of used the recommended tire pressure from the factory. The next issue, roadracingworld did a back to back comparision on tire pressure. The worn tires with lower pressure was faster than new tires with higher pressure.

#14 ·
I have been running the PPs and have listened to Dale and other riders who use them and my result was 34F and 36R that is what works for me I love it. I ride a lot with these guys in Vegas they know what the are talking about. On the street I run 35F and 40R thats my street settings.

#15 ·
Are these higher pressures for the PPs measured before with a cold tire or after riding with the tires warm? I have 32F 30R when measured before riding......never measured after riding, but feels good to me. I will try the 34F 36R though just to see how it feels.

#19 ·
I've been using 32 front 32 rear for my street riding. I did notice that if the pressure was only slightly below that, feel was not as good. I don't know about track days - I have another bike for that, and the Michelins aren't available in the right sizes.

I should add that these tires are wearing phenomenally. The rear has 11,000 km on it now, longer than I've ever had any sport tire last on any bike. High speed motorway put some wear in the middle a while back, but with the pressures correct it hasn't buggered the handling too badly (although I'm sure I'll notice a big dfference with a new one). I've been trying to kill this rear tire because I want to get a new one, and burnouts seem to be the only thing that will finish it off! :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.