Road America Race Report April 21-23!!!!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 04-24-2006, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
Road America Race Report April 21-23!!!!!

Well I guess I am gonna try to right up a quick report on how my first race w/e of the year went at Road America. I had 6 races spread out from friday-sunday so I had 2 om friday, 3 on saturday and 1 on sunday.

(Friday) Race#1- Unlimitted GTO-Grid(18)This was about a 10 lap race and the first of the day and the track was dry and the sun was out. I got a mediocre start and was about 8th out of T1. By the 3 lap I was up to 6th and closing on 5th and 4rth place dudes. Well that's when it went bad. Coming out of the tight left hander T5 I started to go up the hill towards T6 which is a fairly tight left hander. Well my throttle stuck. So I am going up the hill to the blind left hander at about 85 or so with the engine revving uncotrollably. First response was to grab some brake and pull the clutch in. I stood the bike straight up and ran off into the pea gravel nicely situated on T6. Well I went in hot but luckily the pea gravel is about 4' deep as I found out burying my front tire completely... So it tipped over on me at like 5mph as my rear wheel was still spinning as I hit the kill switch finally..lol So anyhow me and the corner worker had a great little talk as it took us quite a while to get that bike out of the sand trap. So needless to say i finished 15th that race.
So I went back into the pits and with a little help found out that when i put my new clip-ons on that I had installed the throttle housing at the wrong angle causing it to bind on the forks especially on left hand corners...lol So problem solved so at least that was good. No damage to the bike really at all. Just a few small scratches and a fun time cleaning out all of the rocks.

(Friday) Race#2-Unlimitted Superbike-Well to make things a little shorter since this is getting long already race 2 was also nice and dry. I finished 7th out of I think about 16 or so. Was starting to finally feel the bike out and the track.

(Saturday) Race#3-Unlimitted Superbike-The track was wet so not having any intermediate rains and just some pilot powers i put them on and by race time it was fairly dry but no time to change back to the power races. So I got to slide all over the place with the pilot powers and finished 7th once again. Not a bad race just couldnt really push it like i could on the power race tires.

(Saturday) Race#4-Unlimitted Speedscreen GP-This was a paying race, the only one for amateurs in CCS so it is very fun and competite for sure. The track had dried out which was nice to see. I got a horrid start and was like 10th out of T1. I ended up passing a few guys throughout the race and ended up placing 7th yet again out of 14 dudes. Since it was a paying class I actually won $80. lol It was pretty cool so I'll take whatever I can get. As far as the bike it felt like it was pushing a bit so i may raise the rear a bit and see how she feels.

(Saturday) Race#5-Unlimitted Supersport-Well this race was crazy. Since Road America is a 4.2 mile track spread out in the hills and trees of Wisconsin you can not see the whole track nor do you know what is happening at one end of the track while you are in the pit area. Anyhow, the front straight was dry, T1-T4 and the back straight soaked. T5 and T6 were dry, T7-T11 soaked and T12-T14 were dry. So it was a ton of fun as every one had either slicks or DOT race tires on. Well going into T1 was crazy, elbows flying and such and it was damp. My good friend Marshall who was winning almost every race on his 05' Gixxer 750 went down just a few feet in front of me, he rolled off the track and went limp. It was a bit to see for sure but coming around to T1 the next lap he was up and sitting on the fence so that was good to see for sure. He ended up fixing his bike and going out the next day and finishing 2nd and winning a couple more races I beleive. Anyhow I finished 7th while my back tire was walking out on me all over the track. Pretty cool actually. I was on the back stretch on the last lap just taking it easy and shifting into 4rth going well over a 120mph when my back tire broke loose and almost sent me into a highside. Not fun at all, so I looked behind myself, saw no one was even around and took it easy for the rest of the lap.

(Sunday) Race#6-Unlimitted Supersport-Well once again the track was wet as this race was a early morning race so it was a bit cold and partially drying. Got a decent start and was in 6th coming out of T1 and held that until T9 the carousel. It looked dry from what I could tell but there is a bridge that goes above the entrance of T9(carousel) and it was shaded and wet as I found out. I was taking it in wide as taking it in tight would be insane with the track being partially wet. So I go to lean it over and apply some throttle right under the bridge. Well the I lost the rear and luckily stood her up and went off upright into the edge of the pea gravel. Got on the gas after a few secs and powered out of it and got back on track now in about 15th place i think. Well I passed about 5 guys and one guy crashed at the same spot I went off so i finished 9th.

So I really wish it could have been dry as I think I could have had a little more fun and maybe finished a tad better. But it was still very fun and I have a lot of things to work on for the next upcoming race at Blackhawk Farms. Sorry for the long post and if yah dont like it, dont read it...

Oh by the way one of the new forum members sponsored by Lithium racing Matthew Samples I beleive his name is won a couple races on the 10 in our class so that was cool and congrats to you mate. At least you can make the 10 look good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 04-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
NIce review JJ...

Glad to hear you came back in one peice! I think your next races will be much better...podiums f'sho!

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

post #3 of 39 Old 04-24-2006, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountry10r
NIce review JJ...

Glad to hear you came back in one peice! I think your next races will be much better...podiums f'sho!
Me hopes so. Oh did I tell you an ex-pro racer of a couple years decided to get back into racing. Well CCS made him start in Amatuer so he is racing in some of my classes...lol Doesnt quite seem right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 04-24-2006, 11:05 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Awsome, JJ.....Podiums coming, for sure!!!

If you're not living on the edge, your taking up too much space!
post #5 of 39 Old 04-24-2006, 11:39 AM
???
BANNED

Posting Frequency

sounds like a hell of a weekend...

cool review
post #6 of 39 Old 04-24-2006, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_man_187
Awsome, JJ.....Podiums coming, for sure!!!
Yeah I hope so. Thanks Bob
post #7 of 39 Old 04-24-2006, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
sounds like a hell of a weekend...

cool review
Thanks man. I had a blast. Now i just need to really push it.
post #8 of 39 Old 04-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Well done JJ

Hi JJ
Glad you got back in one piece, sounds like you had a little bit of bad luck out there. Look on the bright side you can always get back out and try again. We had some horrible luck at the weekend, I was at Oulton Park in Cheshire, one of the tracks from the old Transatlantic days. Some one lost control and ran straight into a flag marshal, the rider was okay but the marshal was killed instantly put a bit of a dampener on the weekend but we got all the races in. Will be attending his funeral next week

Regards

Tony
post #9 of 39 Old 04-24-2006, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Pilkington
Hi JJ
Glad you got back in one piece, sounds like you had a little bit of bad luck out there. Look on the bright side you can always get back out and try again. We had some horrible luck at the weekend, I was at Oulton Park in Cheshire, one of the tracks from the old Transatlantic days. Some one lost control and ran straight into a flag marshal, the rider was okay but the marshal was killed instantly put a bit of a dampener on the weekend but we got all the races in. Will be attending his funeral next week

Regards

Tony

Yeah I had a bit of bad luck but all together the w/e was ok, just hope the weather is better next time. but for a track i havent been to much and only going out on a bike for the second time this year I am not to disappointed. I can see where I need to improve and hopefully I can just put my head down and hope it doesnt rain...lol
post #10 of 39 Old 04-24-2006, 04:26 PM
PostWhore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarPlyr
Nice write up JJ, and it wasnt near as boring as you said it was gonna be...

Ole lucky number 7.

John 8:24:
Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in