Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Regular Pilot Power tire pressure for track

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Musikkant54 
#1 ·
I usually run 36/40 for street.

What tire pressure should I use for a track day?

What if I keep my street pressure for track?

I'm not looking for 'absolute' performance or to shave tenth's or even seconds of my lap times, I'm just doing track day for fun and to explore the handling of the bike...

thanks for your help

#2 ·
Katmanblues said:

I'm not looking for 'absolute' performance or to shave tenth's or even seconds of my lap times, I'm just doing track day for fun and to explore the handling of the bike...

thanks for your help
well lower than cold street PSI for sure.............mmmmm try 31f 30r (cold) and see how they perform. You may not like it at the beginning due to the higher street pressures your accustomed to so give it some time.

BD

#6 ·
Katmanblues said:
Won't this make the bike feel sluggish in low speed corners?
this is not a G1k or R1 your riding :wink: in truth it may feel a little slow steering but nothing drastic. Heck lower them down and take a street ride one afternoon and check it out for yourself.

A couple reasons why the PSI is lowered for track riding is, 1) it creates a wider contact patch which will in turn spread the heat evenly throughout the entire tire/s, 2) the tire/s would have the potential to over heat if the higher pressures were used and performance would suffer.

BD

#9 ·
if you do make a pressure adjustement during the day do it when the tires are cold, say after a lunch break otherwise your just chasing it and will never know if your getting the recommended 20% gain when hot.

BD

#13 ·
I run those tires exclusively on track days... I run 31 / 31 running temps. I weigh 255 with gear tho... try setting them at 29'ish and see how they feel when warmed up. I've done MANY days on the powers with NO issues at all. I run pretty quick times and love the powers. Actually, if you look close at my avitar, you'll see powers on there...

#14 ·
Katmanblues said:

thanks for your help
I used to run the PP's
start with 30 rear 33 front.

#17 ·
I just put the PP's on my track bike and one thing I've noticed is that alot of guys run the PP's rear quite low and the front a little higher; or they run them dead even. Heck the PP's are run pretty low on the track in general. I can't believe no one said it but, Your best bet is to ask one of the tire vendors at the track you're running. They will usually be able to point you in the right direction...especially if it's your 1st trackday.

#23 ·
Recommended Tire Pressure on Michelin PP's?

I am about to put on some Michelin PP's on my '06. I weigh about 215 pounds. I am not doing any track days, but I do ride fairly hard on back roads/twisties. What tire pressures would you guys recommend on my first set of PP's? :dontknow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.