LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 10-18-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to caboose
Race Report: SOAR Round #6

See more on my website www.TT-RACING.ca

SOAR Round #6
Toronto Motorsports Park. October 16th -17th 2010.

This was the last race weekend for me this year, after a personal best finish at RACE Round #6 just a few weeks ago I was hoping for another good weekend with SOAR.

I was unable to attend Friday practice so my practice time Saturday morning was somewhat limited. With temperatures just above freezing I wasn't in a huge rush to get out onto the track either. The weather ended up cooperating, sunny skies and little wind made for decent temperatures by mid morning. I managed to get in two good practice sessions in the morning and felt ready for the qualifying heat races in the afternoon.

My last race at Shannonville I had a really great battle with Luke Bauer for most of the race. I had a feeling that that wasn't the last time him and I would be racing in close quarters. I finished 3rd in the Open Sprint qualifier with Luke not far behind and 7th in the Superbike qualifier right behind Luke. So far the weekend was going as I thought and hoped it would.

Sunday brought more sunny skies with little wind, a rare occurrence at Toronto Motorsports Park. Again the morning was cool with temperatures not far above freezing but like Saturday by mid morning it was relatively warm. All riders were having issues with decreased traction due to cold temperatures but the Dunlop N-Tec slicks were sticking very well all things considered. After Sunday morning practice I was ready to go racing!

Superbike was my first race of the afternoon. After being run wide in turn 1 I had lost two positions and was worried about being held up while some other riders pulled away. I managed to take the two positions back on the brakes into turn 2 and not-all-that-surprisingly I found myself right behind the burgundy and white R6 being ridden by Luke Bauer. After several laps behind him looking for a weakness, I managed to make the pass on the brakes into turn 1 and found myself in 6th place behind Jody Greening. The close race continued for another 6 or so laps with Jody in front of me and Luke very close behind me. On the 2nd last lap Luke managed to get beside me on the brakes into turn 2 and took the position back. For another two laps I stayed no more than two or three bike lengths behind Luke but was not able to make a pass. I finished 7th, and Luke 6th.

Open Sprint was towards the end of the day. Prior to the race I had a feeling that Amzy Nawaz and Aubrey Bailey would gap the rest of the field and fight for 1st and if I rode well it would be me and Luke fighting for 3rd. I managed to get a pretty good start and got through the first 3 laps in 3rd place with Amzy and Aubrey slowly pulling away from me. For 4 laps I could hear the familiar sound of a burgundy and white R6 very close behind me. This was shaping up to be a dog fight! On the 4th lap there was a red flag that put the race on hold. After a 15 minute break the track was ready and we rolled out for a shortened final, only 8 laps this time. On the restart I did not manage to get the same launch as I did previously, and fell back to 6th place. I knew I didn't have much time to make up that ground and by the 2nd lap I found myself in 4th once again right behind Luke. Finding a place to pass with Luke running blocking lines I had a hard time finding an opportunity to pass. I made one attempt into turn 2, trying the outside line. The gamble didn't pay off and I found myself running out of pavement, after a quick detour onto the grass I had lost precious seconds that I would not be able to make up with only a few laps remaining. A few corners later I came upon Amzy who had tucked the front into the left hairpin, after passing the downed rider I found myself in 3rd place again. With a big gap on 4th place, the last two laps I just played it safe and ended up 3rd.

I managed to get my 4th podium of the year, and managed a best lap of 1:14.7 in the Superbike race. I'm absolutely amazed at how the competition has stepped up this year at SOAR. Not too many years ago a sub 1:16 lap time at TMP was virtually unheard of and now a pace in the mid/high 14's is good for 7th in a Novice race. I can't wait until next year, hopefully the 2011 race season will bring more podiums and maybe some wins!

I have a lot of people to thank for their help this year. They were able to help me a lot with the off track part, so I could focus more on the on track.

Inglis Cycle Pro6 Cycle Trackside Tire Service Dunlop Tires Armour Bodies PBI Sprockets VNM Sport Gear Compulsion Racing

Support those who support the sport!

2010 10R Superbike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-18-2010, 07:29 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Congrats Caboose...I noticed you haven't been around as much, I figured you were busy and I guess you were...Congrats

DDM Tuning HID lights| Sportech Windscreen| ASV shorty levers| Driven D3 grips| Evotech 1/4 turn gas cap| LSL sliders| Woodcraft case covers| PCV with custom map| BMC race filter| secondaries removed| EK 525 red chain| Vortex rearsets| M4 Slayer exhaust| PSR chain adjusters| Speigler brake lines| custom front and rear seat| Pro bolt aluminum bolt kit| Hellrazor servo eliminator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in