LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-16-2006, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Macke
Race report... once again...

This weekend was the 3rd round of the Swedish Champs at "Ring Knutstorp"
My first race after the crasch...

Sitting in the truck on my way I had a lot of doubts.
What would the rebuilt bike feel like? Is everything straightened out? Is everything mounted and put together right?
What will my body feel like? Will I last a whole race, or even sit on the bike?
It's only been 10 days since I got out of the hospital after the horrendous highsder 2 weeks ago.
The goal for the weekend was just to finnish the race, maybe save some points if possible... But mostly I was just glad to be back on the bike again.

When we arrived at the track, we started to unload the truck and put everything together. We were finnished well before dark, and had time for the walk around the track "Ring Knutstorp". It's an awesome track. Short, but twisty and lots of ups and downs... Steep ones too...

Friday, and FP's
First time on the bike since the crash. Just trying to feel the bike out, and get an idea of how the body felt.
It felt pretty good, the bike was good but I had a body of a 100 year old man. Had to be helped off the bike by my mechanics, and was just flat out exhausted. I had some doubts about the race on sunday.
The riding seemed to be OK since I was just 0.1 seconds over my personal best with a 1.07.332 time

FP2 is run in pooring rain, and is a lot easier on the body. Managed a 1.18.7 in the wet, a reasonable time...

Friday evening is spent limping around in the paddok harrassing some buddys. A BBQ and one beer for the rider (the mechanics had some more I guess.. LOL)

Saturday, QP's
First QP, still pooring outside...
Had some trouble getting som free laps in. Lots of traffic. Went into the pits for a drivethru to get some space. Ended up in another pack of riders, and when I had worked myself passed them I was too exhausted to push... Did a 1.20.4 and was 13th.

Second QP was moved to sunday morning, instead of the warmup, due to a 600 rider blowing his engine up, and pooring oil out on the track for almost the whole lap. The organisers worked hard all evening to clean up the track.

Sunday, raceday....
Second QP, still pooring... This sux...
Went out to try to improve my 1.20.4 time, and found a good pace early. Managed to stay out of traffic, and got alot of free laps in. Made a 1.15.9 on lap 8, and then all my stamina was gone. Still, a 4 second improvement... And I was 7th, second row...
I was totaly exhausted after the second QP, had to be helped off the bike once again, and was really worried that I wouldn't last the whole race distance.

Race!
The weather was the worst kind. The rain had stopped, and now the track was drying up. It was realy tempting to go for slicks, but the track was still wet when we went out for the lineup. Descided on raintyres, and could see that everybody else made the same descision which felt good.

The red light went out, and I got off the line perfect! Could feel the bike pulling really hard, then too hard and the front wheel took to the sky. Relly high wheelie, and it felt like I was gonna flip over. Eased off and went into 2nd gear, wheelied even higher, had to back off a bit once more. Tipped off the throttle and went into 3rd (I thought) as the front wheel slammed onto the ground, still in 2nd gear I just onpened the throttle wide open... Woooaaaaaaaa... An even higher wheelie... Holy f*ck!!!!! Tipped off, front wheel slammed onto the ground once again, and then got into 3rd gear and powered down towards turn 1. Lost about 4-5 places on the wheelies... Yelled some not so pretty words inside the helmet... Something about me being an asshole, and some more x-rated things.. LOL.
Very late on the brakes, made up a couple of places, and almost went down as I looked up the front in the wet... Close call...
I'm up into 6th now, and got up to 4th in turn 2 as two riders hooked up and went wide.
Still wet, but with a dry line now at the backside of the track, which made overtaking very exciting.. Tried to outbreak for 3rd, but it was impossible in the wet against someone who's in the dryline... LOL
Got passed by 2 riders that qualified in the front row, and had made a terrible start. Tried to fight back, but couldn't. Was down to 6th now on the first lap. Made a misstake in the hairpin on lap 4, went wide and lost down to 8th.
Had a really fun fight for 7th and 6th for about 3 laps, and then got up to 6th midrace.
The track was almost completly dry now, some wet patches here and there. Tried to find the water to cool down the tyres, but they were soon overcooked.... The bike was sliding all over the place. Understeer into the corner as the very soft front struggled to find grip, and then big powerslides coming out of the corners.... Quite fun actually, but not too good on the laptimes.. LOL
With about 10 laps to go, my body was giving up on me. The pain in the lower back, and the knee was killing me. I had some real problems with the koncentration, and made a lot of small misstakes all the time now. Missed my breakingpoints, missed my lines, missed gears.. It was e mess...

Got "P-06" and "+7" on the pitboard now and the struggle to finnish started. With 4 laps to go I got "P-06" and "+8", and I couldn't see the rider infront of me. Started to do some math in my head....
Now let's see... 8 seconds and 4 laps, that's.... Hmmmm.... That's gotta be.. Hang on... Yeah.. Hummm... that's gotta be 2 seconds per lap... Oh hang on, here's the start/finnish straight once again... So there's gotta be 3 laps to ga now... Yeah... But what did the pitoard say? Damnit... Coud only see the guys weaving there arms and cheering on... Couldn't read the numers...
Up in the hairpin I turned my head to have a look... There was a rider just behind me. But was that the guy I just lapped? Couldn't remember his number, or what kind of bike he rode for that matter... Could I have lost 8 seconds already?
Managed to get a look on my pitboard out on the final lap, and it said "P-06" and "+8". Pheeew... Tipped off almost completley, and just rolled around the last lap... I was a mess...
Rolled over the finnishline in 6th, and got 10 tasty points...

Managed to find my way into the pits, and the tent. The whole crew was already there, cheering. I was exhausted, and had to be helped off the bike... Then just sank to the ground, flat on my back... The pain was just... F*ck... But still, I felt so damn good... This 6th place felt like a victory after struggling all weekend...

Almost didn't help at all with the packing and loading of the truck, just sat in a chair... Thanx guys!!!

Got home at 3 am, and went to bed. Then up at 7am to get to work.... Exhausted...
Now I have 3 days of work, and a couple of visits to the physiotherapis. Then we're off to Norway for the 3rd round of the Scandinavian Open Champs.

Cheers

Macke

If you can't race fast, atleast you can look fast...

Last edited by Macke; 08-16-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
Sweet Macke. Awesome write up as usual and way to stick it out and get er done. Great job man and congrats on the 6th place finish. Good luck on your next race as well man and hope you heal up fast and are ready to go come next round.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-16-2006, 08:19 AM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
YAY!

Congrats again Macke! Keep up the hard work dood!

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-16-2006, 01:54 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

now thats a dedicated racers mentality, fight to the end for all ya got.

BD

post #5 of 7 Old 08-17-2006, 02:13 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Congrats again Macke. Racing sucks at times but does have its rewards at the same time. Good job.

W.F.O.ing with style will bring life back into focus
post #6 of 7 Old 08-21-2006, 09:30 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountry10r
YAY!

Congrats again Macke! Keep up the hard work dood!
Yeah, what he said. Ditto.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Green Hippie

Posting Frequency

Awesome glad to see hear ya got the bike back together and back out racin'

VAE VICTUS!

RIP James R Patterson 6/3/30-5/26/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in