Question at 125mph - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-24-2006, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Question at 125mph

I think I get what was happening, but wanted to ask those that may know more than I.

Some friends and I were coming off the ferry behind some ambitious 600s. We were an '03 R1, '93 FZR (Mean low-end bike!), and my '05 G.O.A.T. (Greatest Of All Time - for those that didn't know). We hit the road, and the 600s tried to run! This, of course, made us literbikes hungery to eat some 600 egos. I was second in line to blow pass the 600s. I was at about 110 when I switched lanes to pass. This is where it got crazy. I had to hang HARD off the right to get the bike back in the right lane! I was still acceling at about 125 when I noticed that the bike didn't want to stop going left. Freaked me out! I managed to drag the bike back to the right lane just in time to set up for the left hand sweeper that was coming up WAY TOO FAST. I didn't wipe, thanks to the slipper clutch and the front brakes.

This is my question. What the hell was happening when I was trying to come back right?

I think that it was just a ton of momentum that I had to overcome from switching lanes at high speed so quickly. Looking for opinions, facts, or whatever you got to offer.

Double Bubble Sportech Screen, Flush mounts/Integrated Tail, Pig Spotters, Rear seat Cowl, Scotts Damper, Carbon-inlay Frame Sliders, Devil Shotgun Exhaust, -1/+1.
"Duality keeps me locked in a cell with Good as the bars and Evil as the key." -NuCaesar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Possibly just wind ? I was riding the other day and the wind was so bad that I had to lean to the right to go straight. It didn't seem that windy when I left home, it just kinda came up. Maybe there was some wind from the right as well as your momentum going left and the increased wind from going fast. Just a thought.

My previous bikes : 1st bike 1984 Honda V45 (750cc)
2nd bike 1999 Gixxer 600
3rd bike 2001 Yamaha FZ1
Current bike 2005 Green ZX10R

I bought my 10 brand new on March 31, 2006 it was a left over from 2005 so I got a really good deal. BREAK IN COMPLETE ! Riding hard and saving up for mods.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-24-2006, 12:53 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash769
Possibly just wind ? I was riding the other day and the wind was so bad that I had to lean to the right to go straight. It didn't seem that windy when I left home, it just kinda came up. Maybe there was some wind from the right as well as your momentum going left and the increased wind from going fast. Just a thought.
That happen to me Friday. The wind was blowing so hard I was leaning to keep the bike going straight (at least 30 degrees) on the interstate. I thought I was tripping.

Sorry for the hijack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-24-2006, 01:48 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

its quite possible that you were just moving a hell of a lot faster than you thought you were, or are used to. the bike wont steer nearly as well at 70 as it will at 45.. at 125 its even worse. you're covering ground a hell of a lot more quickly and small inputs that would have been required to steer the bike back in the intended direction normally wont cut it at those speeds. this is how amateurs crash a lot of the time, they dont leave themselves enough time to recover from mistakes. not implying that you're an amateur, just implying you should leave yourself more time to make mistakes. and next time you're in the triple digits, take your skirt off and put some muscle in it.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quick question. Do you have a hyprepro sterring damper on your bike. i'm just asking becuase it is an active damper that gets stiffer as your speed increases. is it possible that as you were accelerating and going around the 600's and as you speed increased the damper stiffend at that point which made it harder to get it back where you wanted? i'm just curious. if anyone knows if that is even a possiblity let me know. i have been thinking about getting the hyperpro.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-24-2006, 04:31 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

or maybe you werent countersteering enough? you dont need to move your body to switch directions with exception or taking corners. try pushing the handlebars more- it works for me.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-24-2006, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Think it may have been a combo of wind and speed. The bay was to my right, cuz we had just got off the ferry, and we were out in the boonies (no buildings for wind cover).

As far as room for mistakes, I always expect the worst. I have seen too many people wipe trying to do too much. I am a legend in the "recovery" department. It's the trying to "recover" that puts people off the road. Better to ride out the mistake and adjust, then trying to change the mistake that can't be changed. Just the way that I think

Double Bubble Sportech Screen, Flush mounts/Integrated Tail, Pig Spotters, Rear seat Cowl, Scotts Damper, Carbon-inlay Frame Sliders, Devil Shotgun Exhaust, -1/+1.
"Duality keeps me locked in a cell with Good as the bars and Evil as the key." -NuCaesar
post #8 of 15 Old 04-24-2006, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

BTW, thanks for the opinions!

post #9 of 15 Old 04-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCaesar

....... I am a legend in the "recovery" department. .......
Man, it must be tough to be a living legend.

I'll have to make a note to read every post written by "The Legend of Recovery" - aka - QCaesar

My previous bikes : 1st bike 1984 Honda V45 (750cc)
2nd bike 1999 Gixxer 600
3rd bike 2001 Yamaha FZ1
Current bike 2005 Green ZX10R

I bought my 10 brand new on March 31, 2006 it was a left over from 2005 so I got a really good deal. BREAK IN COMPLETE ! Riding hard and saving up for mods.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-24-2006, 06:09 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRIMO
Quick question. Do you have a hyprepro sterring damper on your bike. i'm just asking becuase it is an active damper that gets stiffer as your speed increases. is it possible that as you were accelerating and going around the 600's and as you speed increased the damper stiffend at that point which made it harder to get it back where you wanted? i'm just curious. if anyone knows if that is even a possiblity let me know. i have been thinking about getting the hyperpro.
the Hyperpro RSC is supposed to be progressively stiffer as the handlebars move faster, not the bike. The damper has no idea how fast you're going

I think it's more likely that you had your damper adjusted too stiff, and the fact that when accelerating at that speed, it's just really difficult to change directions

David Nolden
CMRA #711
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in