Please explain if you can? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-07-2006, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Smile Please explain if you can?

How does a roadbike based WSB go within 2 seconds a lap of a Prototype based MOTO GP around Philip Island. Considering a WSB's run a pirelli control tyre (mass produced) with 3 different choices of compound.And MOTO GP use hand built tyres that can be produced overnight and to the track (Europe) the next morning. Hundreds of compounds I assume.
They have same capacity engines (10cc diff).
Do the MOTO GP boys need to pull their fingers out or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10lover
How does a roadbike based WSB go within 2 seconds a lap of a Prototype based MOTO GP around Philip Island. Considering a WSB's run a pirelli control tyre (mass produced) with 3 different choices of compound.And MOTO GP use hand built tyres that can be produced overnight and to the track (Europe) the next morning. Hundreds of compounds I assume.
They have same capacity engines (10cc diff).
Do the MOTO GP boys need to pull their fingers out or what?
Because to go just a little quicker when you are are already going really really fast is a lot harder then going a little quicker when you are slow...

Its like HP and top speed and drag. Otherwise a zx-10r would have a potential top speed (when correctly geared and not speedlimited) of 50% more than say a zx-7r. But it doesn't....

Also Corser, Bayliss, Hodgson, Xaus, et al. have all stepped up to MotoGP and not cut it. Bayliss goes back to wsbk and throws down the gauntlett...
post #3 of 23 Old 03-07-2006, 11:52 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

The MotoGP boys ain't no slow pokes if you look at the fact that Bayliss and Barros weren't tearing it up last year in MotoGP. But they are doing really well this year in WSB. I doubt that they got faster in the off season.

But I think you may have a slight misconception if you think the liter bikes you and I can buy bear any real relationship to the liter bikes that they race in WSB. Make no mistake, those are hand built, one of a kind race bikes that are somewhat based on production bikes. They have very few "production" parts left in them and any productions parts that are left, have been modified. Dude, their forks are many times more expensive than your production ZX10. It has been reported that the HRC forks for the CBR1000RR are in the ballpark of $125,000 per set. That is not a production bike. As a matter of fact, when Colin Edwards rode the RC211V, he had them fit the forks off of his old WSB SP2 because he felt they worked better than the forks that came on the RC211V.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 03-08-2006, 01:58 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

WSBKs have had a lot more development time especially the Ducatis.
The teams in WSBK know what there doing and so do the riders, just because Bayliss could not get results in Motogp does not mean he could not cut it. There were a lot of good riders not getting good results on so called good bikes, as you should know it comes down to fitting the right rider with right bike. Riders like Rossi who have changed classes and bikes every few seasons from a young age will find it easy to adapt to change unlike riders like Bayliss who have been riding one class of bike for so long. If Bayliss had stayed at Ducati in Motogp last year he would have had better results as Caparossi only got it workng for him well last year.
With all that said i would love Ducati to setup a WSBK at the Motogp weight limit and run some Motogp spec qualifiers and let Bayliss loose on it.

Black and Green 05 ZX10R - Race Bike
post #5 of 23 Old 03-08-2006, 04:25 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

and to top it off 2 sec is eternity. check out the Motogp practice or qualifying times and see just how many riders are within 1sec of the quickest and i suspect you'll see 4-5 every race weekend.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-08-2006, 10:11 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta xray
It has been reported that the HRC forks for the CBR1000RR are in the ballpark of $125,000 per set. That is not a production bike. As a matter of fact, when Colin Edwards rode the RC211V, he had them fit the forks off of his old WSB SP2 because he felt they worked better than the forks that came on the RC211V.
I remember hearing a few years ago that that forks on Mladin's bike (I know, AMA) ran around $50,000 but this is just shocking. It makes me wonder how much work could be put into one componont that would make it cost $125K.
post #7 of 23 Old 03-08-2006, 11:07 AM
talker of shite

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I remember hearing a few years ago that that forks on Mladin's bike (I know, AMA) ran around $50,000 but this is just shocking. It makes me wonder how much work could be put into one componont that would make it cost $125K.
I think the cost can be split into R&D(never cheap) accurate machining & semi precious alloys, everything on a moto gp bike is a limited product that will only see use on a racetrack, that's why the figures seem so high.

Has anyone seen my marbles ?
post #8 of 23 Old 03-08-2006, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thankyou all for your replies.
I still think the MOTO GP class needs to pull their collective fingers out
Bayliss broke the old lap record on Sunday that stood from 1999 (Corser)
Weight, Tyres, Budgets??????
post #9 of 23 Old 03-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
yeah them superbike bikes are puttin out like 214hp so they aren't far off really and the ducs have traction control so they are not normal bikes by ant stretch. Barros even said as far as power goes he did not think that the Motogp bike felt much more powerful if at all compared to his Honda superbike

Last edited by zx10ragentblack; 03-08-2006 at 03:40 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Still here

Posting Frequency

Anyone remember how close 250 Gp 2 strokes came to the 500's lap times back in the day?
500 2 strokes had so much power, so quickly, that it was hard to use and 250's made up alot on handling.

Still what they are working on- using what they have available and making it hookup and not kill tires.

Side note-
My buddy used to race hare scrambles (Florida Trail Riders) ranked 3rd one year I think.
He started using an XL650 honda when others were still on CR500's.
Same basic reason- it hooked up better in the woods. Did not spend time slapping from side to side on tree roots.
He said it pissed people off to see the light bobbing, comming up on them too, they knew it was him on a heavy 4stroke putting along.

Sarah Palin and friends can call it a snow machine all they want but Yamaha, Polaris and Bombardier plus the related magazines all seem to call them Snowmobiles.

Snow machines create snow on ski slopes. Just sayin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in