Penske 8981 setup help - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-25-2008, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 259
Posting Frequency
 
Penske 8981 setup help

I recently picked up a used track bike with a Penske 8981 shock. Didn't come with instructions for the shock. Anyone here familiar with this shock that can give me some tips on the adjustments?

clausiam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 05-25-2008, 10:35 AM
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 333
Posting Frequency
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiam View Post
I recently picked up a used track bike with a Penske 8981 shock. Didn't come with instructions for the shock. Anyone here familiar with this shock that can give me some tips on the adjustments?

what bike? what kinda riding?
thehate. is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 05-25-2008, 10:42 AM
I really need to get out of the house
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 34,537
Posting Frequency
Images: 38
           
The 8983 has replaced this unit in Penske's line but not sure when.

rebound = red knob near the bottim clevis mount
comp = the gold knob on the resvervior
the black collar @ the top of the spring W/holes is for preload
the length adjustment is done with the twin silver collars below the red rebound knob.

Were you able to find out how old it is or when serviced last???

BD



Big Daddy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 259
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
The 8983 has replaced this unit in Penske's line but not sure when.

rebound = red knob near the bottim clevis mount
comp = the gold knob on the resvervior
the black collar @ the top of the spring W/holes is for preload
the length adjustment is done with the twin silver collars below the red rebound knob.

Were you able to find out how old it is or when serviced last???
Thanks, that's great. I think it's about 3 years old, not sure about service. I'll be taking the bike up to Traxxion Dynamics (who happen to be ~10 miles away from me) soon for a complete setup as the rider I bought it from was a lot shorter/lighter than me. I did do a track day on the bike yesterday and overall the suspension didn't actually feel too bad. Maybe a slight tendency to drift wide in the turns (which could have been tires or just me not used to this bike) and one scary moment when I lost the rear mid-turn that was probably caused by me shifting my weight at the wrong time, but may also mean too much rebound damping.

Doesn't look like the red rebound knob has any markings from what I can see so I'm still not sure how to set that one and know the setting. The compression knob has clear 6-position symbols.
clausiam is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 AM
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 333
Posting Frequency
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiam View Post
Thanks, that's great. I think it's about 3 years old, not sure about service. I'll be taking the bike up to Traxxion Dynamics (who happen to be ~10 miles away from me) soon for a complete setup as the rider I bought it from was a lot shorter/lighter than me. I did do a track day on the bike yesterday and overall the suspension didn't actually feel too bad. Maybe a slight tendency to drift wide in the turns (which could have been tires or just me not used to this bike) and one scary moment when I lost the rear mid-turn that was probably caused by me shifting my weight at the wrong time, but may also mean too much rebound damping.

Doesn't look like the red rebound knob has any markings from what I can see so I'm still not sure how to set that one and know the setting. The compression knob has clear 6-position symbols.
traxxion told me to set my ride hight at 230mm about 11 mm too low! then when I call back and said the bike was not right they told me I was wrong! and that ZX10's are not a good platform for a race bike and that I should sell it and get a GSXR!
thehate. is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 12:09 PM
WSB Rider
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 609
Posting Frequency
  
I've heard a number of people say that traxxion doesn't understand anything but GSXRs and have given bad advise for ZX10s.
TN10R is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM
I really need to get out of the house
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 34,537
Posting Frequency
Images: 38
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiam View Post
Doesn't look like the red rebound knob has any markings from what I can see so I'm still not sure how to set that one and know the setting. The compression knob has clear 6-position symbols.
rebound knob has clicks when adjusting.

BD



Big Daddy is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-28-2008, 12:06 AM
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 333
Posting Frequency
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN10R View Post
I've heard a number of people say that traxxion doesn't understand anything but GSXRs and have given bad advise for ZX10s.
yeah if I ever get a GSXR i'll call them but they did not help me out much on my ZX!.... but had no prob taking my $2,500 for my suspension parts! and I even called them before I ordered the stuff and asked them if they have tested any ZX's and they told me YES! but after I got the shit, they had no idea what they were doing as far as set-up! {not even close} i'm not very happy with them! but the bike is diled in now! thanks to a good tunner!
thehate. is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-28-2008, 12:11 AM
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 333
Posting Frequency
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiam View Post
Doesn't look like the red rebound knob has any markings from what I can see so I'm still not sure how to set that one and know the setting. The compression knob has clear 6-position symbols.

I'll check mine I think it's at 17 out... set your ride hight at 240mm e-to-e {this is for dunlop tires} but a good place to start..
thehate. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Penske 8981 2-way rear shock fits 04/05 10R lavudyar Parts, Gear and Accessories 28 06-15-2008 07:12 PM
Question for 06 penske 8981 two-way owners green_zx Performance and Tech 5 07-09-2007 07:42 AM
Penske 8981 for ZX10R's. Back up for sale. Otis Parts, Gear and Accessories 9 06-26-2007 06:29 AM
FS Penske 8981 for ZX-10's Otis Parts, Gear and Accessories 5 06-14-2007 09:19 PM
Calling penske 8981 ownes green_zx The ZX-10R 5 02-10-2007 03:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome