Overcoming side bias in turns... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-30-2008, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Overcoming side bias in turns...

A little background: in my early days of riding I had an incident where I came in (what I thought was) too hot into a right hand turn, panicked, locked it up, stood the bike up and went well into the other lane before regaining composure and re-initiating the turn.
about a year and a half later, a different bike, and a LOT of miles later, I had a similar incident except it was at a greater speed and I almost wound up in a ditch before I re-initiated the turn.
Since then I've never really felt comfortable at speeds in right hand turns. You could tell by the wear on my tires and my pace: I have a buddy w/ a 750 that I could run with pretty evenly (with my old 636) if the road had mostly left handers but if we turned around and went back he'd pull away pretty steadily the further into the curves we got.
SO... this summer i'm going to try and do a track day at VIR and since the courses are run clock wise, the majority of the turns are right handers. I'm wondering what can I do to try and overcome my bias (or apprehension)?

Function
-------
Fashion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH4DY View Post
A little background: in my early days of riding I had an incident where I came in (what I thought was) too hot into a right hand turn, panicked, locked it up, stood the bike up and went well into the other lane before regaining composure and re-initiating the turn.
about a year and a half later, a different bike, and a LOT of miles later, I had a similar incident except it was at a greater speed and I almost wound up in a ditch before I re-initiated the turn.
Since then I've never really felt comfortable at speeds in right hand turns. You could tell by the wear on my tires and my pace: I have a buddy w/ a 750 that I could run with pretty evenly (with my old 636) if the road had mostly left handers but if we turned around and went back he'd pull away pretty steadily the further into the curves we got.
SO... this summer i'm going to try and do a track day at VIR and since the courses are run clock wise, the majority of the turns are right handers. I'm wondering what can I do to try and overcome my bias (or apprehension)?

Give me a shout when you go out there, I know the main course like the back of my hand....i can give you some pointers....I guess the best advice that i got was if you think you are going to fast, lean it more...someone has made it faster.....

PAINT ~N~ FLAMES
CUSTOMS
post #3 of 9 Old 12-30-2008, 01:11 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

lol that saying "someone has taken it faster" has gotten me into expert. It is definitely true! Practice your body positioning with the bike standing still. Body positioning not knee down none of that nonsense. When you do your track day, make sure you keep your self in check with the body positioning. Dont lean the bike, turn the bike does that make sense?

"Bs stops when the green flag drops"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-30-2008, 05:22 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH4DY View Post

Your not alone. I know many people that have trouble with turning the bike in specific directions. I used to have the same problem, but I raced at a track (Willow Springs) that has all the fast corners as right turns. It took me along time to be able to dump the bike into a right turn without getting the death grip with the bars. I prolly have 10,000 + laps around that track now and I have no problems with right turns anymore. Its all about exposure to your weak points of riding. Practice , Practice ..

2010 BMW S1000RR- 2008 CBR1000RR
post #5 of 9 Old 12-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Something I just started noticing more as Im riding more track day and more LEISURE canyon runs, is that I favor left turns more than right. Why?? Perhaps because I am left handed?? After giving it much thought on and off the bike, I have been favoring left turns because I realized Im using more left arm for turning BOTH left and right. I dont know why I've been riding like this all these years. But I have been forcing my muscle memory to use more right hand/arm to turn the bike and its helping me tons!! Just my
2cents!! Good luck

JBL_91762
post #6 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 08:28 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Bayboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22 View Post
lol that saying "someone has taken it faster" has gotten me into expert. It is definitely true! Practice your body positioning with the bike standing still. Body positioning not knee down none of that nonsense. When you do your track day, make sure you keep your self in check with the body positioning. Dont lean the bike, turn the bike does that make sense?
Okay this aint even my thread and you lost me......... what do you mean by this?

YES, I KNOW YOUR BIKE IS FAST............ BUT IS IT FAST WITH YOU ON IT!!!!
post #7 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 08:56 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I think for you it may have a lot to do with where your eyes are focused. I say this because you are experienced and you know how to negotiate a turn, you just need a little tweaking. The next time you are out riding consciously think about where your eyes are focusing when you approach and come through the apex of a turn.

1. When you take left hand turn you are probably looking THROUGH the turn. You approach the turn and before you reach the apex you are focused through the turn and are preparing your body position/throttle position for the corner exit.

2. When you take right hand turn you are focused AT the turn. Your eyes are probably stuck on the road in front of you, directly in front of the bike. Your focus is on the turn not through the turn like a left harder. You are braking instead of accelerating and your body position is preventing the turn.

Hope you understand and this helps.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Practice!!!!!! It does make perfect...

On the Fast Orange One. Marvics Silverstone Gold Mag (lighter than Marshs), Full Akra Ti Hex, 14 Cals, PC3 with a bad ass map, Scotts, Pazzos, hell about 7k in aftermarket parts fast. So now you know I'm Floyd Money Mayweather fast!! Kanye taking the mic from Taylor Swift fast!! haha Just damn fast!!
post #9 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the replies guys. A lot of what has been suggested does make sense and i will have to try and put it into practice once the weather breaks...

Function
-------
Fashion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in