Gen 1: 2004-2005 Newbie to Track Days on a Bike - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 05-03-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Newbie to Track Days on a Bike

Hey guys, I just purchased a 2005 10R and am interested in track days to learn my bike. I have run with NASA-SE with cars at places like CMP, Roebling, RA, and VIR to name a few. I have also taken a 6 year hiatus from bikes since I joined the military so a literbike was not my first choice but a deal came up and I scooped the bike up off of FB Marketplace. I originally was looking for a 636 but fellow C6Z owners said I would get bored of it. My toy car is an HCIE/Hi-Ram C6 Z06, so the warp speed/tunnel vision ordeal is not new to me lol. It is the nose comes up at 80 in second that I have to watch for haha.

Anyway, I want to learn my bike and possibly do some WERA racing in the future. What mods do you recommend to a Gen 1 10R?

Current mods: PC3, full titanium exhaust, drop in filter, 520 chain -1 +2, aftermarket rearsets, and speedohealer.

What I want to do soon: ZX14 Nissin calipers/SS brake lines/pads/DJ QS.

The brakes on this thing are NOT confidence inspiring lol.

Also, oil reccommendations? Brake fluid? I run Motul 600 in my cars.

I came from a Ninja 250 and Katana 750 so doing more than normal maintenence I have no idea on a bike. I also do not want to spend a ton either, this will be a DD type bike mostly and if I like tracking bikes I will grab a 600 or another bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-03-2019, 01:31 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Zx6r/Zx14r brake calipers, and a ZX6r mc or brembo 19x18 MC. Stainless brake lines and some good ferodo/veshra/carbon lorraine brake pads.
Get the forks and shock serviced and resprung for your weight.

My gen one loves rotella T6 or motul 300v or amsoil 10w40 moto oil or even a blend of each.

Frequent oil changes are better protection than any "premium" oil offers so no need to go crazy.

Its a lot of bike for a novice rider to DD tbh but you do what you want.
Take it to the track it loves it there.

AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
post #3 of 39 Old 05-03-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBoCC2 View Post
Zx6r/Zx14r brake calipers, and a ZX6r mc or brembo 19x18 MC. Stainless brake lines and some good ferodo/veshra/carbon lorraine brake pads.

My gen one loves rotella T6 or motul 300v or amsoil 10w40 moto oil or even a blend of each.

Frequent oil changes are better protection than any "premium" oil offers so no need to go crazy.

Its a lot of bike for a novice rider to DD tbh but you do what you want.
Take it to the track it loves it there.
Ok awesome, I will keep an eye out for a ZX6R MC. I just keep reading about people doing the more expensive Brembo MC and did not see any use the 6R. Cool on the pads

I will look for a shop to get the forks/shock serviced and resprung.

PO gave me some T6 so I will continue to using it.

I know it is a ton of bike lol, that is why I plan on going to learn. Speed-wise the bike is on par with my Vette it feels like. That does not mean I will go out and act stupid lol.

Thank you for the advice! Gen 1's have too much go and not enough woah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 05-03-2019, 03:15 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBoCC2 View Post
This. But I wouldn't advise investing a ton in a gen 1 as a track bike. Its super nervous and the throttle response is such that it makes it really hard to be smooth. Just my own opinion mind you. But I went several seconds faster immediately when I put my gen 1 back on the street and got a 750 for the track. If you do stick with the gen 1 for the track I would really recommend you get suspension work done. Ohlins fork internals and rear shock will help a ton. Best of luck to you on your track day adventures!

post #5 of 39 Old 05-03-2019, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
This. But I wouldn't advise investing a ton in a gen 1 as a track bike. Its super nervous and the throttle response is such that it makes it really hard to be smooth. Just my own opinion mind you. But I went several seconds faster immediately when I put my gen 1 back on the street and got a 750 for the track. If you do stick with the gen 1 for the track I would really recommend you get suspension work done. Ohlins fork internals and rear shock will help a ton. Best of luck to you on your track day adventures!
I do not plan on spending much on the bike other than the braking system and a few odds and ends. If I do like tracking the bike I will grab a newer or new 600 to play with or depending on skill level a newer 1k. This or the next bike will definitely get Ohlins goodies if I start doing a ton of track riding and/or racing! Thanks man!
post #6 of 39 Old 05-03-2019, 06:33 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Get some good pads and run it! If there is a trackside suspension vendor have them set it up for your weight. Your first few times at the track you will most likely barely be on the brakes. You will get addicted, iv done a few car events and all my buddys run time attack and bikes are way more fun at half the cost lol. Enjoy! give us an update on here after the event.
post #7 of 39 Old 05-03-2019, 07:35 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
You are in my neck of the woods and most track days and/or race events we are lucky to have Thermosman at our disposal. One of the best suspension tuners in the country. Look him up. He lives in Woodstock, GA and I highly recommend having him at least revalve and spring your bike if you not spending the money to upgrade.

What tracks are you planning on doing first? May 17th has a N2 track day at Roebling that we will be at if your interested.

FYI, Motul 600 is perfect for fluid. But upgrading brakes will be one of the smartest things to do on that bike.
post #8 of 39 Old 05-04-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnG View Post
Get some good pads and run it! If there is a trackside suspension vendor have them set it up for your weight. Your first few times at the track you will most likely barely be on the brakes. You will get addicted, iv done a few car events and all my buddys run time attack and bikes are way more fun at half the cost lol. Enjoy! give us an update on here after the event.
Well I already have 14R calipers incoming haha! About to order pads/lines tonight. Cars are super expensive compared to this. It would of cost me $15k+ this year to run NASA Spec Iron. $1,200 every month for tires to run up front. Bike-wise for the same amount you can run a brand new bike for a full season or 2. I will update!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
You are in my neck of the woods and most track days and/or race events we are lucky to have Thermosman at our disposal. One of the best suspension tuners in the country. Look him up. He lives in Woodstock, GA and I highly recommend having him at least revalve and spring your bike if you not spending the money to upgrade.

What tracks are you planning on doing first? May 17th has a N2 track day at Roebling that we will be at if your interested.

FYI, Motul 600 is perfect for fluid. But upgrading brakes will be one of the smartest things to do on that bike.
Awesome man, if I start using my 10R for this a good bit most definitely will get in touch.

N2 at Roebling the 25th it looks like, I can possibly make that one. Nissin calipers are coming and I have a few parts to order! Any cheap riding glove/helmet recommendations? I will be renting a suit/boots my first time or two.

The bike:
Picking up the lower fairing tomorrow. She needs a little TLC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB1C959F-EFF9-4405-B662-D515353B4083_1557018603923.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	422231  
post #9 of 39 Old 05-05-2019, 02:44 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovate803 View Post
Well I already have 14R calipers incoming haha! About to order pads/lines tonight. Cars are super expensive compared to this. It would of cost me $15k+ this year to run NASA Spec Iron. $1,200 every month for tires to run up front. Bike-wise for the same amount you can run a brand new bike for a full season or 2. I will update!

Awesome man, if I start using my 10R for this a good bit most definitely will get in touch.

N2 at Roebling the 25th it looks like, I can possibly make that one. Nissin calipers are coming and I have a few parts to order! Any cheap riding glove/helmet recommendations? I will be renting a suit/boots my first time or two.

The bike:
Picking up the lower fairing tomorrow. She needs a little TLC.
Gear is an investment... spend what you're comfortable spending/can afford but remember quality gear will make you both comfortable and protect you. I run A* Supertech gloves, but i've also run their GP PLUS for 10+ years and a set of joe rocket $90 gauntlets, and 2 pairs of Y2Wheels (local glove seller) gloves. The Supertechs are worth it to me... I also wear the supertech boots and GP tech v2 suit with airbag.

I run HJC Rpha 11 PRO its a pretty nice race helmet for what i consider reasonable cost. And have crash tested 3 modern HJC composite shells with good results.

IMO Look at gear as a long time investment you can amortize as you use/wear of the years rather than a single large expense. Higher quality stuff also is more repairable. I have crash tested all of my gear and aside from helmets and cheap cortech boots, it was all re-usable but a few did warrant repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
When i got my race license i took it on my street gen 1 bike with a fresh suspension and was only a couple sec off my then pace on my gen 4 race bike. Its a capable and fun to ride bike and it does really well in the legacy heavyweight class from my understanding.

Fork/shock service and respring doesn't cost much and will help the stock suspension fade less and work better for trackday riding.

AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
post #10 of 39 Old 05-05-2019, 08:35 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

HJC Rpha 11 pro is excellent for the money and just excellent all the way around. I think a 600 or 636 is more fun on the track. I ride both liter bikes and a 636. Personal choice but many agree. Just learn and don’t crash as many newbie do. Have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in