Gen 1: 2004-2005 Newbie to Track Days on a Bike - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 Old 05-14-2019, 08:05 AM
WSB Rider
 
Otto Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fred-vegas, VA
Posts: 761
Posting Frequency
  
Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovate803 View Post
I am as it is my first time going with a bike. I have been to Roebling and other tracks in a car lol. I still have a kickstand and I have some good Michelin Power RS tires. I was going to grab stands but I will wait, along with the tire warmers. If I decide to race one day I will grab warmers.


It happens lol.


Awesome to hear! I am signed up and almost ready to roll. I am getting excited. These bikes modded are crazy and fun.
What kind of times do cars turn at Roebling? I like to shoot for 18's or below on my 600.
Otto Man is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 39 Old 05-14-2019, 10:29 AM
GP Star
 
nakedinseattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,584
Posting Frequency
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogreen View Post
I just did my first track day on my 2004. I bought it a couple years ago and have ridden it occasionally on the street, but it was always intended as a track day toy... so, 1st day out was at the Ridge, in Shelton WA May 6th. The bike was set up for the track by the previous owner with the usual mods - levers, rear sets, can, PC, gearing, chain and steering damper, so nothing to do other than hit the track. What a blast! The Ridge is amazing, the weather was spectacular and the bike ran like a champ. I also rode a 2019 RSV4 Factory which was obviously F'n amazing, but worth about 35K more than my ZX10, and to be honest, no more fun.
Haha funny, I tech'd your bike! I also drooled a little over it missing my black gen 1.

Suggestion: get a brembo/accossato 19x18 brake master cylinder, gen1 mc's don't have bleeder nipples are a pain in the royal arse to get all the bubbles out, zip ties for days sometimes.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
nakedinseattle is offline  
post #33 of 39 Old 05-14-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Innovate803's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 20
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
What kind of times do cars turn at Roebling? I like to shoot for 18's or below on my 600.
I ran 22-23's in a 275 rwhp Cobra. Most of the fast guys are in the bottom teens. A 500 rwhp C6 Z06 ran 17. I am shooting to be faster than my old Cobra haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
Haha funny, I tech'd your bike! I also drooled a little over it missing my black gen 1.

Suggestion: get a brembo/accossato 19x18 brake master cylinder, gen1 mc's don't have bleeder nipples are a pain in the royal arse to get all the bubbles out, zip ties for days sometimes.
Ok cool, that work with the Nissin calipers? I grabbed 14R calipers.
Innovate803 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 39 Old 05-15-2019, 11:22 AM
GP Star
 
nakedinseattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,584
Posting Frequency
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovate803 View Post
Ok cool, that work with the Nissin calipers? I grabbed 14R calipers.
the master cylinder is independent of the caliper choice. generally recommended to go with steel braided brake lines as well to avoid flexing of the lines, the calipers will handle it just fine, just put some good pads in there as well, the ebc hh is a good mid pack and cheap option, vesrah's are twice as much and are better but personally i dont think it's worth the cost.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
nakedinseattle is offline  
post #35 of 39 Old 05-15-2019, 11:34 AM
GP Rider
 
NinjaLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N. Florida
Posts: 1,388
Posting Frequency
  
I know this is the 10r forum, but did somebody say Cobra?

Sounds like You had a SN95 bodystle Cobra? Correct?
NinjaLife is offline  
post #36 of 39 Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Innovate803's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 20
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
the master cylinder is independent of the caliper choice. generally recommended to go with steel braided brake lines as well to avoid flexing of the lines, the calipers will handle it just fine, just put some good pads in there as well, the ebc hh is a good mid pack and cheap option, vesrah's are twice as much and are better but personally i dont think it's worth the cost.
I have the SS lines and EBC HH's on the way. The HH's I figure I will run on my first track day and swap things up the next time and use HH's on the street only. Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaLife View Post
I know this is the 10r forum, but did somebody say Cobra?

Sounds like You had a SN95 bodystle Cobra? Correct?
Yes, it was a NASA ex-Time Trial car. Maximum Motorsports suspenion/stock motor with a tune.
NinjaLife likes this.
Innovate803 is offline  
post #37 of 39 Old 05-16-2019, 01:17 PM
GP Star
 
nakedinseattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,584
Posting Frequency
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovate803 View Post
I have the SS lines and EBC HH's on the way. The HH's I figure I will run on my first track day and swap things up the next time and use HH's on the street only. Thanks for the information!
I prefer EBC HH's for street/track use. They bite hard and hold, they don't really fade much at track paces, they're half as much as the Vesrah's, they don't squeal like the EBC track pads do which are only marginally better performing, the race pads are great but track only, not great on the street and horrible in the rain. For a fast track pace the hh's are a good deal for price and performance.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
nakedinseattle is offline  
post #38 of 39 Old 05-16-2019, 02:53 PM
GP Rider
 
NinjaLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N. Florida
Posts: 1,388
Posting Frequency
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovate803 View Post
I have the SS lines and EBC HH's on the way. The HH's I figure I will run on my first track day and swap things up the next time and use HH's on the street only. Thanks for the information!



Yes, it was a NASA ex-Time Trial car. Maximum Motorsports suspenion/stock motor with a tune.
That's sick right there. I had a mostly stock 96' Cobra that served street duty until someone hit me and totaled it. I'm actually just now able to start back riding my 10r again.

I did my first track day on the EBC HH's and they were fine. I will say that I'm now in the market for something with a bit better feel, I've got a set of Carbone Lorraine's XBK5's on my eBay watchlist right now. Looking forward to seeing how your first trackday turns out!
NinjaLife is offline  
post #39 of 39 Old 05-16-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Innovate803's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 20
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
I prefer EBC HH's for street/track use. They bite hard and hold, they don't really fade much at track paces, they're half as much as the Vesrah's, they don't squeal like the EBC track pads do which are only marginally better performing, the race pads are great but track only, not great on the street and horrible in the rain. For a fast track pace the hh's are a good deal for price and performance.
Good to hear, I researched a good bit and people liked them for not a full track pad. I plan on grabbing a newer 6R to play with on the track if I do enjoy this on bikes and start doing it a good bit. Then I will spend the money on some race pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaLife View Post
That's sick right there. I had a mostly stock 96' Cobra that served street duty until someone hit me and totaled it. I'm actually just now able to start back riding my 10r again.

I did my first track day on the EBC HH's and they were fine. I will say that I'm now in the market for something with a bit better feel, I've got a set of Carbone Lorraine's XBK5's on my eBay watchlist right now. Looking forward to seeing how your first trackday turns out!
They are fun cars, that sucks that happened man. My dad put the Cobra into the inside tire wall at the bus stop at Daytona and we had to grab a donor car and replace one whole side. Luckily no one was hurt.

Awesome, let me know how those pads work! Thanks man, my Ninja is in the shop for fork seals and I should pick her up tomorrow. Then swap brakes/lines/pads and hit Roebling! I am excited!
NinjaLife likes this.
Innovate803 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track club track days fireman69 Race and Stunt 4 02-20-2009 09:39 PM
Newbie Newbie New Niceville FL KevinF Welcome Newbies! 21 02-13-2009 09:36 AM
I'm curious... Will a bike dyno higher on hot days or cold days? GosuPaintballer General Motorcycle Discussions 5 11-07-2008 09:51 AM
Should I Buy this Bike For Track Days? IcePick06 Race and Stunt 29 06-20-2006 09:56 PM
Track days and Racing 1000 while novice... hillcountry10r The ZX-10R 13 01-06-2005 06:42 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome