4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 Old 05-07-2019, 11:45 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
What's your guesstimated average pace you'll be running there? That plays a huge factor, but I'd say it's safe to bank on 1 front and 2 rears. How much experience do you have riding flat out for almost an hour (Which is roughly what you'll get out of a tank)? On our very first endurance, I quickly learned there is a BIG difference between running my pace for a 20 minute session and running it for an entire tank. LOL
Yea thats what I'm afraid of.. I was pretty drained in a 10 lap sprint race so I can only imagine what balls out for an hour will be like.. As far as pace it's hard to say as two of the 3 riders including myself have never run Roebling. I am hoping to run sub 1.20's consistently for duration of full tank. We will learn more during the much needed practice on the 17th.

If anything else, we will have lots of fun and get alot of seat time. This will help dramatically in my sprint races on Sunday. We also don't have a quick fill fuel jug nor a quick change axle. Lol we are behind the 8-ball before we even unload but it will be a great experience and we will learn alot!

I will keep an eye out for the 3 marines team and we are team LPRS Racing. (Look pro, ride slow)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 Old 05-07-2019, 12:57 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I raced several 1st Gen ZX10Rs, from 2004 through 2010. Great bike, but can be twitchy, and the chassis gets chattery under high speed cornering.

#1 add a quality steering damper!!

Brakes were Ok, I never used anything but an upgraded M/C and lines. Vesrah pads are a must.

Set the suspension up for your weight. Add rear ride height and/or a 190/60 tire. I ran 5mm drop on the front, and a shim in the back.

Be smooth on the throttle. Its the only bike that's bucked me nearly off, through the windscreen at 100 mph. (I didn't crash!)

Lengthen the wheelbase by adding a link or two.

Make sure your starter is shimmed correctly. Its also the only bike Ive blown up three times.

And, yes....It will wheelie in 5th gear at 140mph........

18 Ninja 400R
17 ZX10RR
16 S1000R
14 BMW S1000RR
1996 ZX7R

CaliTrackDays A group Marshall
post #23 of 39 Old 05-07-2019, 01:37 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWeenie View Post
I raced several 1st Gen ZX10Rs, from 2004 through 2010. Great bike, but can be twitchy, and the chassis gets chattery under high speed cornering.

Brakes were Ok, I never used anything but an upgraded M/C and lines. Vesrah pads are a must.

Set the suspension up for your weight. Add rear ride height and/or a 190/60 tire. I ran 5mm drop on the front, and a shim in the back.

Be smooth on the throttle. Its the only bike that's bucked me nearly off, through the windscreen at 100 mph. (I didn't crash!)

Make sure your starter is shimmed correctly. Its also the only bike Ive blown up three times.

Sounds like some solid advice. What are you riding now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 39 Old 05-07-2019, 03:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

2017 ZX10RR...... 2014 BMW S1000RR....... 2018 Ninja 400..... I even did a Track day on my S1000R, that was fun too.

I have a whole stable...including an old ZX7R.

18 Ninja 400R
17 ZX10RR
16 S1000R
14 BMW S1000RR
1996 ZX7R

CaliTrackDays A group Marshall
post #25 of 39 Old 05-07-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:

Awesome man, what do you mean by chattery? I do have an Ohlins dampner for the steering! I grabbed some street/track EBC pads, I am not going to try to act like a MotoGP racer my first track day lol. Nissin calipers/SS lines/EBC pads are going on.

Awesome advice about the tire to help lengthen gearing, I will try that when I grab tires. I have brand new Shinko road tires on the bike right now that the PO installed. I have heard that 3mm with the front forks work as well? What shim for the back? No idea really how to raise/lower a bike lol. How do I shim the starter? It would not surprise me that she picks up at 140 lol. I know I will be fighting to keep her down.

Quote:
2017 ZX10RR...... 2014 BMW S1000RR....... 2018 Ninja 400..... I even did a Track day on my S1000R, that was fun too.

I have a whole stable...including an old ZX7R.
Your whole stable is about perfect haha, I want a Gen 5 R for the track/400 to DD and I have always loved the 7R's! I will go with a newer 6R instead of an S1krr unless I start racing WERA as their contingency money is crazy lol. I love my Gen 1 so much I do not want to ever let the bike go even though I have ridden her once. I finally get my tag and all tomorrow!
post #26 of 39 Old 05-08-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Also, I cannot use a spool rear stand as the little hole on the left side of my swing arm is missing. Will the pad stands be ok? I do not know if I could weld something on there.

Picked up my lower fairing pieces and am spray painting them Matte Black. I picked them up cheap and since they will see track time I do not care about the road rash on them and my concours-style paint job haha. Jk. Waiting on the fairing bolts to come in and finish paint tomorrow, then go on with it all! Headed to bike week at Myrtle Beach this weekend so I want to presentable lol. Even though it is the wrong bike week for my style bike.
post #27 of 39 Old 05-13-2019, 01:43 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
Honestly you're worried about way too much for your first track day. Make sure the bike is mechanically sound - good (new) tires, brake pads, etc. Make sure your gear is good to go. Tape up your lights, and enjoy your first track day. You don't even need to worry about bringing a rear stand if you

1) Still even have a kick stand
2) Don't use tires that require warmers

Enjoy not having to put your bike up on stands and fvkcing with tire warmers each time you come and go from the pit. Enjoy it as long as you can. :D
post #28 of 39 Old 05-13-2019, 05:11 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Honestly you're worried about way too much for your first track day.
they all do

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
post #29 of 39 Old 05-13-2019, 11:00 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Me too...

I just did my first track day on my 2004. I bought it a couple years ago and have ridden it occasionally on the street, but it was always intended as a track day toy... so, 1st day out was at the Ridge, in Shelton WA May 6th. The bike was set up for the track by the previous owner with the usual mods - levers, rear sets, can, PC, gearing, chain and steering damper, so nothing to do other than hit the track. What a blast! The Ridge is amazing, the weather was spectacular and the bike ran like a champ. I also rode a 2019 RSV4 Factory which was obviously F'n amazing, but worth about 35K more than my ZX10, and to be honest, no more fun.
post #30 of 39 Old 05-14-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Honestly you're worried about way too much for your first track day. Make sure the bike is mechanically sound - good (new) tires, brake pads, etc. Make sure your gear is good to go. Tape up your lights, and enjoy your first track day. You don't even need to worry about bringing a rear stand if you

1) Still even have a kick stand
2) Don't use tires that require warmers

Enjoy not having to put your bike up on stands and fvkcing with tire warmers each time you come and go from the pit. Enjoy it as long as you can. :D
I am as it is my first time going with a bike. I have been to Roebling and other tracks in a car lol. I still have a kickstand and I have some good Michelin Power RS tires. I was going to grab stands but I will wait, along with the tire warmers. If I decide to race one day I will grab warmers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
they all do
It happens lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogreen View Post
I just did my first track day on my 2004. I bought it a couple years ago and have ridden it occasionally on the street, but it was always intended as a track day toy... so, 1st day out was at the Ridge, in Shelton WA May 6th. The bike was set up for the track by the previous owner with the usual mods - levers, rear sets, can, PC, gearing, chain and steering damper, so nothing to do other than hit the track. What a blast! The Ridge is amazing, the weather was spectacular and the bike ran like a champ. I also rode a 2019 RSV4 Factory which was obviously F'n amazing, but worth about 35K more than my ZX10, and to be honest, no more fun.
Awesome to hear! I am signed up and almost ready to roll. I am getting excited. These bikes modded are crazy and fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in