Need help w/getting bike setup for 1st time at track - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-23-2004, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Need help w/getting bike setup for 1st time at track

Looking to attend my first track day at age 35. ANyway I realize you are required to tape up the headlight and turns, remove the mirrors, etc. I would assume you have to unplug the headlight as well? Wouldn't the tape get burnt into the headlight if not?

What else do I really need to do to prep for a simple first time at the track? I plan on riding my bike to the track. They mentioned the side stand had to be removed for some classes. How does that work? I don't plan on holding my bike all day.

Thanks for any input. Sorry for being so uneducated with this, but it will be my first experience and I don't have anyone that i know that has attended either.

Green ZX10, Scotts Dampener, Muzzy Ti, Power Commander, braided lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-23-2004, 09:32 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

You can pull the fuses to the lights if you prefer. They're located under the seat. You'll prolly have to remove the licence plate also and the mirrors.
I doubt your stand will have to be removed. That sounds like a race level to me.
The track day organizer should have a list of requirements on their website. I'd go over it.
I'd also recommend trailering or bringing the bike on a truck if possible, you're gonna be tired at the end of the day.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-24-2004, 10:10 AM

Posting Frequency

steves,

If at all possible do as Andy said and truck or trailer it to the track as you will be exhausted by days end.

The bike prep you've listed is pretty standard for the majority of organizers however make sure your tires have 80-90% good rubber left. Bring plenty of water and find shade.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-24-2004, 12:46 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
Bring plenty of water and find shade.
These two things are very important in hotter climates. Start drinking water early and continue throughout the day. I don't know about the organization you'll be riding with, but both of the ones I participate in supply water and stress the importance of staying hydrated. Shade is also a must. A friend of mine got sick towards the end of a trackday recently because he wasn't drinking enough and got too much sun.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-24-2004, 01:26 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to gladding24
Steve, you'll also have to drain the coolant out of the bike and replace it with straight water, water and water wetter, or Engine Ice antifreeze. The coolant in the bike now is Ethel Glycol based and it's not allowed on like 99.9% or racetracks because it's impossible to clean off the track. replacing the coolant is easy, unscrew the drain bolt on the waterpump and remove the radiator cap(under the upper side panel on the right) let it empty out and flush it a few times with just water(you should run the engine for a while while draining it out(but keep adding water so it doesn't get empty) to get the coolant out of the engine as well). After the water coming out no longer has a green tint to it you can put the drain bolt back in and fill it up with water, water wetter and water, or Engne Ice.

Stop Whining!!!
It ain't easy being Green ~ Kermit The Frog
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.....Even if you win...you are still retarded

CaliSuperbikes- "these are high strung machines, and we're giving them a constant dose of Red Bull"
post #6 of 9 Old 08-24-2004, 02:14 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladding24
Steve, you'll also have to drain the coolant out of the bike and replace it with straight water, water and water wetter, or Engine Ice antifreeze. The coolant in the bike now is Ethel Glycol based and it's not allowed on like 99.9% or racetracks because it's impossible to clean off the track.
I really doubt he'll have to do this for a track day. If he were racing, yes. Also, it's the racing organization that requires this, not the track. I've done track days with two different organizations on five different tracks, and none of them have required this.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-24-2004, 02:19 PM

Posting Frequency

The t-days i organize do not require removal of coolant nor does the track we use.

BD

post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2004, 05:12 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to gladding24
Wow, Buttonwillow, Fontucky(Fontana), Thunderhill, and Laguna-Seca all require no antifreeze, and so do most ot the track day organizers around here(Quality Track Days, Track Daz, Club-Desmo, Keigwin's, Canyon Strafers, and most others I know of).
And changing out the anti-freeze is just proper etiquette, IMHO. If you go down and put antifreeze all over the track, you may very well take other guys down with you, or shortly after you, and it's a real Bitch to get EG based antifreeze off the asphalt.

Stop Whining!!!
It ain't easy being Green ~ Kermit The Frog
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.....Even if you win...you are still retarded

CaliSuperbikes- "these are high strung machines, and we're giving them a constant dose of Red Bull"
post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2004, 05:21 PM

Posting Frequency

Thunderhill is where i've organized t-days for SSA the last 9yrs so trust me it is not their requirement. As for the other organizers they may very well state its their requirement but i can attest first hand they don't check to insure its done.

I would agree its good etiquette and is hard to perform a clean up but the % of lowsides or get-offs that would in fact create such a clean up are low.

BD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in