My inexperience is oozing out of me - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

My inexperience is oozing out of me

So a little ashamed to post on the boards for some help here, but I'm getting to the point where I am so darn frustrated I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue. I am by no stretch of the imagination a beginner, but this is my first liter bike, and on my past bikes, power wheelies were very easy to anticipate, if i gave it WOT, it might lift. However, on the gen 4 acceleration can be brutal and power wheelies sometimes catch you by surprise.. Here is where my issue comes in

Under maximum acceleration (not max throttle) in first gear, I am trying as hard as i can to grip the tank up and stay super light on the bars, but still come on she is pulling like a freight train and you can't help but hold onto the bars some.. and my issue

Every single time i get caught off guard on a small power wheelie I am turning the front wheel towards the right, which is making for some very shakey and terrifying landings going around 100mph. I feel as though I am almost falling off that side when I am full prone only and pinning the throttle, which results in me grabbing too hard on that side. I try to adjust my body, and find myself hanging off to the left and asking myself, what the fu+k is wrong with me! Is it body position, still too tight of a grip on the bars, or even mental. Just wondering if any of you in your earlier years of riding a liter bike had some bad habits/tendencies and how u worked on them

As always thanks fellas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 11-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Yeah man. A lot of people have a problem turning the bars and pulling to the right when doing wheelies. What it sounds like to me is your trying to force the bike to do what you want. Work on letting the bike do the work and you just hold on. Gripping the tank with your legs will definitely help. But a lot of people fall into the bad habit of trying to pull back on the bars not only in hard acceleration but trying o do wheelies. Really work on just twisting the throttle and holding on evenly with both hands. Just think about what your doing when your doing it. I know it's a lot to do when your hauling ass but you have to break yourself of that bad habit.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #3 of 39 Old 11-12-2012, 04:41 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
You're not twisting the throttle, you're pulling it. You need to learn how to control the throttle with your right hand without exerting pressure and pulling the bar to the right. And also be able to re-center the bars properly before the front wheel touches back down.

You need to slow down a bit, refocus your tasks and work up to getting more comfortable with the controls and how they affect the bike. It may be hard to admit, but I don't think you're actually riding the bike....I think it's taking you for a ride. And that's never a good thing. Step back and try to retrain yourself out of these habits and the rest will fall into place.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Totally understand where you both are coming from and really appreciate the advice from two guys who I know what they are talking about. And I'm not afraid to admit when I might be overpowered at times, I think you are right skydork it may be good to slow down a tad for a bit and work up to that point again. I also see what you mean by pulling it to turn it instead of simply twisting it. and magma I am definitely trying to force the living snot out of the bike so i agree, really need to loosen up a bit. thanks fella's as always i really appreciate the advice
post #5 of 39 Old 11-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

What I think would also help. Is if you can find a shaved seat try it. Either you'll hate it or love it. But it puts you so much more in the bike rather than on it. It kinda plants your ass better. Personally after riding with a shaved seat to me it's like gp shift. Once you try it you'll never go back. Just take your time and get used to your bike man. The power is there you just have to learn how to use it right.

post #6 of 39 Old 11-12-2012, 07:04 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Sky dork and magma just wanna give you guys props kinda new to the forum but you seem like two stand up guys nice to know there are still good people out their
post #7 of 39 Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Good luck controlling wheelies without a quickshifter. Without a quickshifter on my bike it was wheelie city. With a quickshifter I could go WOT
(from about 70 mph) from 1st to 6th without any wheelies and at the same time putting german bikes in the rear view. Get a quick shifter and thank me later.
You can call me if you want to discuss further.

15 Camaro Z/28
16 BMW M5
Former bikes: 07 R1/08 10R/10 S1000rr/11 10R
post #8 of 39 Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Get rearsets. They will make it easier to push back with your feet.
post #9 of 39 Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
Sky dork and magma just wanna give you guys props kinda new to the forum but you seem like two stand up guys nice to know there are still good people out their
I appreciate that man. I will never steer anyone wrong with what has worked for me. and sky dork definitely knows his shit as well. Like him I'm all for helpin a fello rider out. :occasion:

Last edited by bgmagma10; 11-13-2012 at 12:44 PM.
post #10 of 39 Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Good luck controlling wheelies without a quickshifter. Without a quickshifter on my bike it was wheelie city. With a quickshifter I could go WOT
(from about 70 mph) from 1st to 6th without any wheelies and at the same time putting german bikes in the rear view. Get a quick shifter and thank me later.
You can call me if you want to discuss further.
I've rode my wheelies for almost 10 years without a quick shifter. but I can see where it would help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in