Midvaal Raceway - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-02-2004, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Midvaal Raceway

For the second time, the arrangements to ride at Phakisa fell through! So we had to settle for Midvaal Raceway. It's a 2.8km short circuit. 800m backstraight, and a tricky section of 4 consecutively faster righthanders before you enter the backstraight!

We only started riding at 09h00 as it was damn cold and the wind was howling! Took about four laps for the Pirelli Supercorsa's to warm up properly. Fortunately we were only 12 bikes there, so there was never more than 7 or 8 bikes on the track at any given time!

The 10R is an absolute dream! I visited the same track with my Tiller, November 03. You can't begin to compare the two! The only complaint I do have, is that under severe braking, the 10R does feel a bit nervous! I missed my braking point a couple of times down the backstraght! So severe braking had to be applied a couple of times! The last right-hander before the back straight is a 2nd gear approx. 130-140kph corner, and then you have to brake from approx. 240'ish at the end of the straight!
What does work well with the 10R, IMO, is touching the rear brake before getting on the front brakes. This settles the rear down, and the bike doesn't end up moving around as much!

We did change the suspension from road settings to track before we started riding! Since we had an hour to kill when we got to the track at 08h00.

As far as power goes, well, do I need to say anything! I followed an 03 R1 around for a couple of laps, to get to learn the track again. Out of any corner, the 10 honestly makes it look like the R1 is standing still! It borders on ridiculous! I picked up a 04 Gixxer later during the day! I caught up with him on his out lap, and we rode together for about 6 or so laps. The gixxer out-braked me a couple of times on the two short straights, but I could out-corner him on pretty much any corner! Down the back straight again, the 10 proved too much! The power coming out of the right-hander in 2nd and then into third is amazing, it really makes the other bikes look slow!

All in all, I did 54 laps in the 4 hours of riding we did, about 145km.

The track runs clockwise if you look at the picture!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-02-2004, 12:25 PM

Posting Frequency

very nice vane glad to hear it performs well for you.I'm not much of a track guy but i like hearing about the others getting whooped :)
post #3 of 9 Old 08-03-2004, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

This was only my fourth track day. I live so far from civilization, that getting to a track is an all weekend affair and ends up costing around 2 grand!
Seeing as how this weekend went, I might make this a monthly trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-03-2004, 06:56 AM

Posting Frequency

2k to run at the track :o you must amke some good money to make it a monthly trip 8-)
post #5 of 9 Old 08-03-2004, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymizt
2k to run at the track :o you must amke some good money to make it a monthly trip 8-)
You got me wrong! Normally it's about 350 for the trackday. Then it's the 1200km trip, tollgates, chow, accomodation, fuel, etc. In total the weekend cost me about 2 grand!
post #6 of 9 Old 08-03-2004, 07:02 AM

Posting Frequency

that is what i was figuring not just track time.So you plan to pay 2k every time you run?That is why i was talking about you being rich :)
post #7 of 9 Old 08-03-2004, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Nope not rich, but I spend close to that a month on riding and weekends. If I can sit pretty for two or three weeks per month, I can almost afford it. To be practical, it would be more like every second month!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-03-2004, 07:17 AM

Posting Frequency

must be single :D i wish i could run at a road track i just don't have the skill and the closest one is 3 hrs away.I have never done it before so i wouldn't even know where to start.any info on starting?
post #9 of 9 Old 08-03-2004, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Track is 4.5 hours away! Yes, single
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in