Michelin out of MotoGP?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
View Poll Results: Michelin out of MotoGP??
Yes. 10 32.26%
No. 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-20-2008, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Accountant in training.

Posting Frequency

Michelin out of MotoGP??

Yes? No? What do you think?

There are what, 6 races left to the season. And everyone is complaining about how poorly the tires are. Pee Wee even called them embarassing (sp?). Writing could be on the wall if the Respol Honda team makes the switch. Michelin would no longer have a top team using their tires. I wonder too if Lorenzo would make the switch after this year.

I should add, that I have no knowledge on whether this will happen or not. I have not read/see anything that would indicate that Michelin is going to leave MotoGP. I am just looking to get a discussion going considering Michelin's struggles of late.

Chris

Last edited by Deer Elk; 08-21-2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: add disclaimer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-20-2008, 10:06 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Yeah, if they don't get their act together quickly, I see a lot of teams jumping ship for next year and leaving them without a signature team like you said. Rossi has already proven that it was a good move on his part to switch to the 'Stones this year.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 14 Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

I think Michelin has all ready sign there death warrant. honda pulled out of testing there tires on tuesday. Pedrosa said it wasn't worth trying.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-20-2008, 10:51 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

That's some pretty big news if Michelin pulls out. It's all roundabouts and circles though isn't it? One manufacturer gets dominant, another comes in, the original manf pulls out. Remember it used to happen in F1 quite a bit. There's been a number of tyre changes over the years. Depends on who really wants it, and what they want it for.

It's definately paying off for Bridgestone, the last few years have let them to release some definately improved tyres (think BT002 [in both forms] and the new BT016 which is a far superior tyre than the BT015 it replaces).

It's got me stuffed why Michelin couldn't produce a tyre to do the job on the weekend. I know tyres are very technical and there's a lot that goes into them, but seriously ... those guys were leaning the bike over about as much as your average track day rider .... no confidende at all in the front end.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

'85 GSX250S -> '96 ZX6R -> '98 ZX6R -> '00 ZX6R -> '03 CBR954RR -> '04 ZX10R -> '02 ZZR250 -> '06 ZX10R -> '08 KTM 990 ADV
post #5 of 14 Old 08-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I hope they don't pull out or go to a spec. tire. Because we all benefit from the competition which make the tires we have better. Having said that, who could blame anyone for wanting to switch to Bridgestone.
Michelin was great at making these one off tires over night for Rossi.But then came the tire allotment rule and they put a end to that. I hope they get it together.

05 green ZX10R,Akrappovic Evo 2 Carbon w/ hex shorty can full exhaust system,Power Commander USB,Radial front master cylinder(636),Goodridge front and rear carboline brake lines,07 CBR1000RR front brake calipers,Vesrah race front brake pads,Targa tail kit,flush mount front signals,Cabon fiber led rear signals,Ohlins steering dampers,-1 front,Speedo Healer, Pilot Power tires,Gipro Tre and gold Sato's rearsets.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-21-2008, 02:49 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

even on the track level alot of ppl leaving michelin and they only make like one or two good front tires alot off ppl i know had the front go including me( on michelins but they make great car tires and other kinds of tires. they need to get there act together
post #7 of 14 Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Accountant in training.

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuTAnT View Post
It's got me stuffed why Michelin couldn't produce a tyre to do the job on the weekend. I know tyres are very technical and there's a lot that goes into them, but seriously ... those guys were leaning the bike over about as much as your average track day rider .... no confidende at all in the front end.
Considering the size and resources available to Michelin, you'd think that they'd be able to at least catch up to Bridgestone realatively quickly. I think at the last race, they had 1 rider in the top ten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves Cycles View Post
I hope they don't pull out or go to a spec. tire. Because we all benefit from the competition which make the tires we have better. Having said that, who could blame anyone for wanting to switch to Bridgestone.
Michelin was great at making these one off tires over night for Rossi.But then came the tire allotment rule and they put a end to that. I hope they get it together.
I'd like them to stay. But will they bother if Repsol dumps them? I doubt if they'd continue with MotoGP if the best they could do is a satelite team. But I don't really know how dedicated they are to it. I'd also like Dunlop and Pirelli to get in the mix. Dunlop seemed to be fine with a satelite team. Would Pirelli? Or do they have their hands full with WSBK and BSB?

I guess too if Michelin is out, then it would be a spec tire series by default. And yeah, I don't know or understand why they can't compete with the tire allotment rule. It is not like in the past that Michelin showed up with crap tires on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday; and then had to over night some good tires to race on.

Chris

post #8 of 14 Old 08-21-2008, 01:05 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

It would seem that Rossi's decision last year to leave Michelin was justified.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-21-2008, 01:08 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to spikespiegel Send a message via Yahoo to spikespiegel
it doesn't matter if a team decides to dump michelin, Dorna sports (rights holder) and MotoGp are considering switching to a control tire meaning all the teams use one brand and thats it. Other items of debate on the table are going back up to 990cc.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-21-2008, 01:30 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Did anyone say this about bridgestone 2yrs ago? Hell wasn't it a Bridgestone that let go at Mugello a few years back? The fastest motor cycle accident? I don't care myself. I use michelin when I replace tires. My new 10 has bridgestone's that feel great. I enjoy competition and that includes tires. Tire companies will spend/develop more when they are competing.

Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in