Mat Mladin vs. DMG - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-14-2008, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Mat Mladin vs. DMG

It seems pretty obvious that DMG and Mladin are choosing not to see things eye to eye. On many levels. But one vitally important area is rider safety. The more they butt heads, the farther apart they seem to be getting. superbikeplanet.com has a link to an article about racing at the Loudon track. A track which has been off of the AMA series for 7 years due to safety issues. DMG and Roger Edmundson want it back. DMG and Edumundson want racing in the rain at other tracks that are probably not safe enough. Mladin seems to be the voice for many of the riders and it is Mladin's opinion that the tracks are not safe in the rain. DMG has said they want to go to the 600 "Daytona Superbike" rules because they are safer than current superbikes. DMG's opinion seems to be that they would prefer to make everyone race 600's rather than force the tracks to spend their hard earned money making the tracks safer. Of course on big flaw in this whole thinking is that 600's can actually corner faster than liter bikes, all things being equal. And road race motorcycles tend to crash in corners, not straights. I realize that a rider is more likely to high side a liter bike than a 600. But other than that, if a 600 crashes in a corner it is more likely to be going faster and therefore require MORE run-off and MORE safety barriers than liter bikes.

After this year, it is highly likely that Mladin will no longer be racing in the AMA/DMG. I hope someone else will be willing to step up and kick the giant in his shins after Mat is gone. Motorcycle racing is dangerous enough already without the sanctioning organization letting tracks slide on safety while trying to force the riders to ride under unsafe conditions.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I've been following this for a couple of weeks now and I'm not really sure what I think. My initial reaction was what in the hell are they doing. I still think that DMG has lost their minds and are going to ruin the sport. I've read a lot of articles on it but I guess we need to wait and see what they really do. Road Racer X did a good article on the takeover, but like me, all the riders that responded weren't clear on what exactly was going to happen. I do strongly think that if they get rid of the 1,000cc superbikes, the deal is over. The big four have already expressed concern over this and with good cause. A lot of money is put into this series and it does help sell bikes. I'm 39 years old, but I am still impressionable when it comes to what bikes are winning. I think it is part of all of us.
I watch NASCAR and I think the France family has put it in a bad way as well. If it was Kawasaki winning every race for the last 8 years, everyone on this forum would be happy. I just think Suzuki has found the best combination of riders and bikes. Their time will come, but it will be a while. I don't think they have an unfair advantage or anything like that, they just have a good combo and a great bike. Look at what all the B riders are riding in Superbike: it's Suzuki. They have a good bike that goes fast nearly stock and they pay a lot of money for riding their bike. If I was to get into racing, it would be hard not to be on one of them.
I'm very interested in what is going to happen in the next couple of weeks and months, but I strongly think that they will ruin the sport for a year or two until they get their heads out of their asses. No one likes change, thats a given, but you don't need to fix what isn't broken. I don't think AMA Superbike is broken, I just think we are at a very long domination by a very good team.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-15-2008, 02:33 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

i thought this was going to be a good thing at first. Fresh faces and a fresh look. But when DMG came out of left field with the proposed 600 premiere class and looking to push 1000's out of the premiere I got really worried. DMG has said that he is looking into making rules for the 1000's like he came out with for the 600 premiere class. But I have my doubts. If DMG screws with the 1000's I think it will bite him in the ass, BIG TIME. I hate Nascar. Formula one is faster, Le mans series is funnier to watch (they turn in more than one direction) Rally America, Moto GP, anything is better than Nascar. I'm just crossing my fingers. I will probably stop watching AMA racing if 1000's are gone.

"shiny, let's be bad guys"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-15-2008, 10:14 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I found it interesting that Neil Hodgson actually wrote to Superbikeplanet and told them, none of the factory riders would ride if it's raining.

He may also be one of the guys pushing safety. He's been around a bit...

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Jun/080611h9a.htm

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely."
post #5 of 11 Old 06-16-2008, 12:32 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

safety first.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Accountant in training.

Posting Frequency

Thumbs down

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=32836

This is a pretty good read. Seems like rider safety in not a concer for Roger Edmondson....

And this one is funny too. http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=32827

Quote:
But some riders who tested at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course Wednesday reported that no changes have been made to the course that would allow racing in the rain and that they will not race if it rains during the series’ August 1-3 event at Mid-Ohio.
Phantom updates to Mid-Ohio, and now it is safe to race there in the rain??

Chris

post #7 of 11 Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to luckz88 Send a message via Yahoo to luckz88
Rider safety should be number one.

If they are trying to push bike racing so much in the rain why don't they make them race in the rain in naacar
post #8 of 11 Old 06-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Accountant in training.

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckz88 View Post
Rider safety should be number one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckz88 View Post
If they are trying to push bike racing so much in the rain why don't they make them race in the rain in nascar
Maybe they need to drop the engine size to 200 ci V6s. Less power will make them safer.

Chris

post #9 of 11 Old 06-16-2008, 01:09 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

We are going to be the big losers if DMG gets their wishes. We will lose the top riders to retirement or World Superbike. Edmonson will put out B and C riders who wont mind racing in the rain etc.
What disturbs me is how Edmonson says that he doesnt recall any fatalities due to rain racing, what about getting maimed or paralyzed or head injuries. Is Death the end all decision maker here?
Another thing, Yosh Suzuki is the only thing close to a true factory team, Since Honda and Kawi went US based. And Yamaha is still in their teething stages. Of course Suzuki is going to dominate coupled with top notch riders.
I dont know what the answer is but DMGs plan seems like its pissing a lot of people off, especially the elite riders. (Not just the Suzuki boys).
post #10 of 11 Old 06-21-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Interesting post on superbikeplanet about one of those tracks that Mladin thinks is unsafe to race in the rain.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=32958

DMG thinks that they make all of the decisions about who races and under what conditions. If I was a rider who was "forced to race" or loose my license, I would put on a set of rains and putt around so slow that it wouldn't hurt me if I fell off. "You might be able to force me to ride but you can't sit on the bike and make me twist the throttle." Hey DMG

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in