Looking for a map - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Looking for a map

Hey guys, I know its a long shot, I'm racing at High Plains Raceway in Colorado next weekend, I was wondering if anyone in the higher elevations had a map you could email me. My bike is as follows:

2008 ZX10
PCIII
Full Arrow racing exhaust
Secondaries removed
BMC race filter
Could be high octane pump gas or race fuel I can run either.

Any help would be appreciated, if you have a similar setup and wouldn't mind sharing your map, contact me here, or email it to me [email protected]

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 01:23 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
What does elevation have to do with anything? The bike has a pressure sensor to adjust for this automatically. You don't need a new map. Your bike will be fine with what you got.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
What does elevation have to do with anything? The bike has a pressure sensor to adjust for this automatically. You don't need a new map. Your bike will be fine with what you got.
Thats what I said, I've had a couple other guys tell me, they had their bikes dynoed at the higher elevations with the map they usually run, they show an 8-10% loss in power. I figured if I showed up and noticed a difference I would load the new map in and try it out, just trying to cover my bases, I appreciate your input, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 02:10 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman68 View Post
Thats what I said, I've had a couple other guys tell me, they had their bikes dynoed at the higher elevations with the map they usually run, they show an 8-10% loss in power. I figured if I showed up and noticed a difference I would load the new map in and try it out, just trying to cover my bases, I appreciate your input, thanks.
This is true...where im from in Indiana 70ft above sea level my 08 put down 165hp...now I live in El Paso and she put down 152...its a noticable difference, bike feels sluggish.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 02:18 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Yes, they will show a loss at altitude, but that's because the ambient pressure has dropped and the ECU has scaled back the fueling accordingly. That causes the drop in performance. It has nothing to do with the PC and there's no way to re-map the bike to compensate for it and get that power back. The ECU will try to keep a target air/fuel ratio the same whether it's at 0 feet, 5,000 feet, or 20,000 feet. The PC only adds a correction factor to the ECU signal and that factor doesn't change. Depending on the sensor and the resolution of the ECU to make changes, there may be some small gains in remapping. But for a race weekend I wouldn't risk screwing it up with something off the Internet.

Good luck with the race BTW.

#WordCrimes

post #6 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Yes, they will show a loss at altitude, but that's because the ambient pressure has dropped and the ECU has scaled back the fueling accordingly. That causes the drop in performance. It has nothing to do with the PC and there's no way to re-map the bike to compensate for it and get that power back. The ECU will try to keep a target air/fuel ratio the same whether it's at 0 feet, 5,000 feet, or 20,000 feet. The PC only adds a correction factor to the ECU signal and that factor doesn't change. Depending on the sensor and the resolution of the ECU to make changes, there may be some small gains in remapping. But for a race weekend I wouldn't risk screwing it up with something off the Internet.

Good luck with the race BTW.
I'll probably just end up making some corrections on the power commander if I notice a difference, I think each bar in the L M H column are a 2% change, so I should be able to get it close, just need to lean her out a bit...lol
post #7 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 02:42 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
LOL! But that's what the ECU does already. You won't need to lean it out more with the PC. You're trying to get a specific A/F ratio with the PC. When you go up in altitude, the pressure drops. Less air means that you have to lean the mixture out and still maintain the same A/F ratio. That's why the pressure sensor is there. If it wasn't there, the ram air wouldn't work, you'd have to re-map your bike every time the weather changed, or you drove it over a mountain. All of these things affect air pressure and power, but none of them affect the A/F ratio. The Power Commander is only used to tweak the ECU's A/F ratio. Once that's set properly, the ECU is what changes the fueling according to the conditions will take care of leaning it out or richening it up for you.

If you have a good map on your PC, then don't make any changes to it. But your bike will be down on power with the loss of air. You can't just simply add more fuel to it to make up for that. And you can't take more fuel away or you'll be lean.

#WordCrimes

post #8 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Just talked to the guy who dynoed my bike and is a very reputable tuner in the midwest. He says the pressure sensor will make corrections but probably not enough to compensate for the higher altitude, so expect a loss of power and the bike to run richer, he recommended making some small changes at the power commander to lean it out if necessary. Low= 0 to 1/3 throttle Med=1/3 to 2/3 throttle, high= 2/3 to WO throttle, making some small adjustments in the med and high part of the throttle position could potentially help. I have to assume he knows what he is talking about, he is a successful drag racer so he knows about tuning bikes. I'm gonna ride it see what it feels like and make changes during practice to see if the but dyno notices any difference. I'll post up when I get back, as to the results.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 03:33 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Well, good luck with it and the race. Looking forward to the results.

#WordCrimes

post #10 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks, I'll post up some vide taking my new gopro!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in