Gen 4: 2011-2015 How & Where To Start Motorcycle Racing In Detroit Michigan? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-03-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

How & Where To Start Motorcycle Racing In Detroit Michigan?

I'm 31 years old and would like to really start getting into the sport. I'd like to start motorcycle racing. I'm curious how to go about this passion. Am I to late at 31?

All replies welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-03-2014, 01:49 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I raced WERA and loved it. If you race, you will have to a riders course approved for your race license. Back in 99 I did Ed Bargy's school which allowed me to get license to race in WERA. Then you will have to wear a jersey for the first two races so everyone is aware you are a new racer. If all goes well, they will issue a novice license. You will love it and you are not too old. I am thinking about coming back out at 46 and racing in the crusty old racer group and whoop up on the boys. I have more fun doing track days because you get much more time. I raced a 996 Ducati and a Yamaha R6 so I could do more races. If you want to race, find the organization want to race with and everyone is very helpful. You will meet great friends and have a blast. I went expert after my first year and petitioned to stay novice for a second. Then they moved me to expert. Looking back it was a great time. If you decide to do it, keep us all posted. In the meantime, do as many track days as you can.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wick001 View Post
I'm 31 years old and would like to really start getting into the sport. I'd like to start motorcycle racing. I'm curious how to go about this passion. Am I to late at 31?

All replies welcome.
Have you done trackdays, yet? Grattan, Gingerman, Nelson Ledges, Mid-Ohio, BlackHawk are all within driving distance. I did trackdays at Grattan, Gingerman, and Mid-Ohio with Sportbiketracktime back in 2006.

I just turned 31 in May this year and my first race weekend was June 1st. I don't expect to get fast enough to race AMA, but club racing is f-ing awesome

Fast parts, Great Service: PM Mike at Rider's Discount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Never too late to start. I rode bikes as a kid, up until my late teens. Gave it up, had a family and got back into it at 37. My only regret is that I didn't start sooner.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Hernando Send a message via Skype™ to Hernando
Of course not, but you didn't provide us with much background information. Any track experience or even riding experience. Your proximity to facilities to events financial resources will be the biggest determining factor.

Bear Jew
post #6 of 10 Old 10-15-2014, 11:52 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Wera north central. They go to grattan twice, beaverun and some other tracks as well.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Never too late, the owner of our company still goes out to Grattan and Gingerman once in a while and is in his mid-40's. Start off with some track days and go from there. Plus I can help you on getting setup for some quality gear.

Call TJ at 866-931-6644 ext 817. Our business hours are Monday-Friday 9:30AM-6PM EST. Visit our website at Riders Discount.

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
post #8 of 10 Old 11-11-2014, 08:44 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

my first race on a sport bike was this past august at grattan in Michigan, with wera, at 47. it's never too late. go to www.sportbiketracktime.com get registered, sign up for track days, pro school, and start racing when you are comfortable. Ski

May we all, get to have a chance to ride the fast one, walk away wiser when we crash one, keep hopin that the best one is the last one.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-11-2014, 10:51 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't race but ride track days a 42 and who knows I might just try a wera race someday
If you asking can you get sponsor and make a living at it at your age?
Not likely. But you want to ride fast and have fun hell yes

2010 Zx10r Black spark Bazzaz zfi with QS,Puig Blue Double bubble,vortex rear sets,Blue Spools, fork sliders and oil fill cap,M4 street slayer,Penske triple clicker -1 +3 gearing 520 chain
post #10 of 10 Old 01-13-2015, 04:28 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to caboose
There is also a Canadian regional series about 4 hours from Detroit in Grand Bend, Ontario.

Not the best track available but it's a decent series. Check out www.soaracing.ca. Make sure you have your health insurance sorted before you race across the border. We have a couple guys that make the drive from NY regularly.

2010 10R Superbike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in