How old? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

How old?

I've just gotten into track riding fairly recently. I completed 4 levels of California Superbike School this spring/summer and have done several track days at the local track. I've spectated at WERA and CCS club races and can't get the idea out of my head that I'd like to give that a try one day. Problem is, I'm 53. Stuff that didn't used to bother me much hurts a lot now - like crashing. So I'm wondering how many people my age are actually out there racing. What's the consensus on how old is too old to start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I guess its really bout how old you really feel and how much you want to do it. If you like it do it is how I feel
post #3 of 29 Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibman View Post
I guess its really bout how old you really feel and how much you want to do it. If you like it do it is how I feel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibman View Post
I agree with you to a point. And you've really hit the nail on the head as far as my dilemma. I don't feel any different mentally than I did when I was 22. Ask "old" people how old they feel and I think you'd find most will answer the same way. But the physical evidence doesn't support what I feel in my head. I don't heal as quickly as I used to.

I would imagine that if there are people in their 50s who are racing today, they probably didn't start in their 50s. So I'm mostly just wondering if I'm wrong about that. I know anything is possible, but I also know that everything has a price. How many 40-50-somethings start competitive racing at that age?
post #5 of 29 Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
I've just gotten into track riding fairly recently. I completed 4 levels of California Superbike School this spring/summer and have done several track days at the local track. I've spectated at WERA and CCS club races and can't get the idea out of my head that I'd like to give that a try one day. Problem is, I'm 53. Stuff that didn't used to bother me much hurts a lot now - like crashing. So I'm wondering how many people my age are actually out there racing. What's the consensus on how old is too old to start?
when I was racing at Willow Springs back in 06/07/08...there were fellas out there in there late 50's, even 60's...though a lot of them raced in the Single's (cylinder) events.......Kenny Kopecky (in his 50's) humbled many younger racers....he snagged the #1 overall plate at WSMC I think in 05, and he was romp'in around on a 999 or 749 Duc.

I'm self-employed and now 49, broke my right hand twice in 07.....and hung it up in 08. The risk wasn't worth it....now I just do trackdays only (very limited street riding), and have a blast.

Last edited by gixr2zixr; 09-17-2012 at 08:56 PM.
post #6 of 29 Old 09-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Starbucks Connoisseur

Posting Frequency

This is going to sound a bit off beat, but will make it a lot more enjoyable and less aching. Since a whole track day even on a somone young can take it toll. I know when I spend just 3-4 hours and get home I am beat and have to rest and I am younger.

A few things will help.

1) take some yoga/pilates classes at least twice a week. The benifits are amazing and makes you more limber to hold tighter positions on turns with out pulling muscles and cramping.

2) Stay fluid, a gallon of water and yes (no surprise here) coffee. It makes you way more alert and has other benifits

3) take mercury high potency Omega 3 Fish oil, MSM, Glucosamine and Chondroitin (which is a molecule that occurs naturally in the body. It is a major component of cartilage -- the tough, connective tissue that cushions the joints)

After 4-6 weeks of this you can feel like you're in your late 30's/early 40's again.

09' Ice Blended Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino
10' Venti Mocha Latte spilled some of it, was too hot
11' Peppermint Mocha W/Extra Shot of Espresso
12' Eggnog Venti Latte
13' Bagel
14' Standard Drip (since a Venti latte went up 20 cents)

post #7 of 29 Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

I'm 25 Friday. I really wouldn't recommend an actual competitive race if you're worried about getting hurt. If not you you have to worry about, consider what your saying you probably ride within your limit with room for error or a way out most of the time. My GF got taken out on a fucking trackday because the guy thought it could have made it on the inside. I know the guy and understand where he was coming from but it should have got around but he didn't. He used to be one of the local fast guys, still is. He made a mistake on a trackday with no glory, point or cash reward and he ended up breaking his collar bone and 2 of my GF ribs.

A race day have shit on the line and most people way to win and when testosterone gets going we do stupid shit. I would say stick to trackdays and you'll have a better chance of not getting hurt. Dont worry about age it is a number I know a couple guy near 70 and they can school me and thankfully do.

post #8 of 29 Old 09-17-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static IP View Post
This is going to sound a bit off beat, but will make it a lot more enjoyable and less aching...
Not off beat at all. I agree 100%. I try to work out 3 days a week and ride either a mountain bike or road bike as often as I can. My problem is not conditioning. I can do 6-8 sessions in a track day and not feel beat up. My problem is crashing. I low-sided once at the track and was sore for weeks after (and couldn't work out for awhile...). Most people seem to believe that racing and crashing are inseparable, so I have to decide whether I'm willing to take that risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixr2zixr View Post
...The risk wasn't worth it....now I just do trackdays only (very limited street riding), and have a blast.
Exactly. If I never race, I'll still have a great time whenever I get to the track. But I'd kinda like to be able to say "been there, done that". But the risk isn't just physical. I can't afford to be unable to work, even for a short time. But maybe I'm overstating the risk. I've seen a few classes at club races that only have a few bikes running. Fewer bikes should mean less risk.

In any case, I'm not trying to break into AMA Superbike. I need quite a few more track days, school, and a license before I could actually even start a race.
post #9 of 29 Old 09-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

There is an age thread... There are some old farts here that still kick ass. If you're doing it for fun, go for it!

https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=118804
post #10 of 29 Old 09-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

If the burden is there , I say go for it .
I know a few guys around here your age (not old either), racing . They Love it .
I am turning 43 next month , and find my enjoyment on simple track days . Being able to rub elbows with certain ones that DO race , is good enough for me .
Truthfully though , the longer your in this , the more stories you hear of why "so and so" stopped riding all-together due to Some Bad accident Racing .
Crashing is a part of it . How bad ? is up to the One upstairs.
Keep it fun , no matter what . A Trophy doesn't heal a broken tail bone .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in