How long before brake upgrade for newbies? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-07-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

How long before brake upgrade for newbies?

So I have a ZX-6RR that I might be turning into a Track Whore for next summer, and I am also in the process of doing a 10R everyday street bike build; and I would like both to be completely ready for their tasks by May of 2011.

So for my 6RR, I don't want to have too much donr to it, mainly just add upgraded brake system(MC, lines, Calipers). But here lies my problem, I want to spend most of my money doing the 10R build. I really dont want to spend lots of $$ on quality brakes for the track bike.

So my question is how long did you guys run with stock brake systems when you were just starting out on the track?

BIKES (Past and Present)
CURRENT: 2004 GSXR-750
1983 Honda CB1000C (Black) Sold
1999 KTM 300 EXC Sold
1999 Kawi ZX7R (Kawi Red) Sold
2000 XR650R Sold
2001 Kawi ZX-6 (Green) Sold
2003 Kawi ZX-6RR (Blue) Sold
2004 Generic 50cc Gave away
2006 Honda XR650L (Red) Sold
2007 Kawi ZX-10R (Red) Parted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-07-2010, 10:32 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

since the calipers are what people are swapping to the 10r's I am guessing they aren't that bad. Can you ride it and see how the brakes feel to you? I would try the EBC HH sinisters (or what ever they are called). I know they feel pretty good on my 10. SS lines are always a pretty good investment. I wouldn't worry about the MC unless it is needed.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread
post #3 of 8 Old 08-07-2010, 11:20 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_b03 View Post
since the calipers are what people are swapping to the 10r's I am guessing they aren't that bad. Can you ride it and see how the brakes feel to you? I would try the EBC HH sinisters (or what ever they are called). I know they feel pretty good on my 10. SS lines are always a pretty good investment. I wouldn't worry about the MC unless it is needed.
It depends what year the zx6rr is. The Nissin calipers that are being swapped into the 10r are from an 07-08 zx6r, and maybe 09 but not sure (as well as the zx14 calipers.) The 03-06 aren't anything special, as I have an 06 zx6rr and I put an 07 front end on for my stunt bike.

To the OP, I've never ridden track days so I don't know, but just trying to clarify a point.

Wendy Peffercorn...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-07-2010, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_b03 View Post
SS Lines go on all my bikes so thats covered. The calipers I would imagine are decent but they dont seem awesome. I have bled the Brakes on 2 occasions and they still feel squishy. I have used the mity-vac and I also used the vacuum cleaner method. but not much help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs1113 View Post
It depends what year the zx6rr is. The Nissin calipers that are being swapped into the 10r are from an 07-08 zx6r, and maybe 09 but not sure (as well as the zx14 calipers.) The 03-06 aren't anything special, as I have an 06 zx6rr and I put an 07 front end on for my stunt bike.

To the OP, I've never ridden track days so I don't know, but just trying to clarify a point.
I may just end up swapping the 6rr calipers with newer 6r calipers or the 14 calipers if they will fit. If I can find some for super cheap.

BIKES (Past and Present)
1999 KTM 300 EXC Sold
2000 XR650R Sold
post #5 of 8 Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by riding4life162 View Post
SS Lines go on all my bikes so thats covered. The calipers I would imagine are decent but they dont seem awesome. I have bled the Brakes on 2 occasions and they still feel squishy. I have used the mity-vac and I also used the vacuum cleaner method. but not much help.

I may just end up swapping the 6rr calipers with newer 6r calipers or the 14 calipers if they will fit. If I can find some for super cheap.
Depends on what year your 6RR is. The 03-04 rotors are 280mm, and everything after that is 300mm, so if you have an 03-04 you'll have a little more work to do if you plan on messing with the brakes. Also, there are very, very few choices for front pads for that bike. In fact, I think sintered pads are the only choice, so it comes down to brand and availability.

edit: I see your sig now that you have an '03 ZX-6RR
If you plan to do the caliper swap on the 6RR you'll want to do the rotors too. I've heard that the brake mods for those is to upgrade to 300mm rotors and lines. If you upgrade rotors you'll need 10mm spacers and 10x70mm bolts to go along with them. If you upgrade calipers there are plenty of options that fit along with master cylinder, but from what I've heard the benefits are pretty limited beyond the rotors and lines. I just did the rotor swap myself and am pretty pleased with the results. I've always had one finger braking on the 6RR bikes as long as the pads weren't shot (this is my 2nd one). Only reason I upgraded rotors was because my old ones started to warp and the 300mm rotors were easier to find and cheaper.

Last edited by bennice; 08-09-2010 at 12:05 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-10-2010, 12:45 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Don't waste your time with expensive pads unless your running with the midpack experts. I raced my 04 636 and my 09 6R with stock pads and I could brake with guys running srjl's. I do upgrade my lines though.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-10-2010, 01:26 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Just putting this out there. Last year i bought a might vac to bleed the brake lines. It did a pretty good job, but just as you experienced i had some "mush" left in the levers. My dad is a mechanic so i ran this problem by him. Turns out the best way to bleed the brakes is via a horse sirenge (sorry, spelling is horrible). Instead of fighting the natural direction the bubble want to go (up) by pulling all the fluid down and out, you fill the the horse sirenge and force the fluid up into the mc, pushing the air bubbles the direction they already want to go.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-10-2010, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott10r View Post
Just putting this out there. Last year i bought a might vac to bleed the brake lines. It did a pretty good job, but just as you experienced i had some "mush" left in the levers. My dad is a mechanic so i ran this problem by him. Turns out the best way to bleed the brakes is via a horse sirenge (sorry, spelling is horrible). Instead of fighting the natural direction the bubble want to go (up) by pulling all the fluid down and out, you fill the the horse sirenge and force the fluid up into the mc, pushing the air bubbles the direction they already want to go.
Yeah, I just bled my brakes using this method this morning, but it didnt work to well. There are other guys on another forum who use this method and swear by it. But I think when using the stock setup where you have 2 lines going from MC to caliper to 2nd Caliper, this method is very difficult.

When I get my steel lines where both lines come directly from the MC I will try this method again.

BIKES (Past and Present)
1999 KTM 300 EXC Sold
2000 XR650R Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in