how do you break the wall? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 07-20-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

how do you break the wall?

Here's my problem. 2 year ago, I recorded a personnal lap record of 43,7 sec at the local track. It's about 1 sec a lap off the pace of the top 3 rider in race mode. I only do track days and do not race. Last season my best time was 44,8 and I strugle to get fast lap time this season too. I have the same bike, same gear. The only thing I added was 25mm Ohlins cartridges. I have a TTX shock.

What should I do? I know suspension well enough to be the track side suspension technician, I know the track very well. I start to miss the fun of beating my own times. I now prefer to ride in slower group with my friends to help them get faster.

One thing I noticed is that I often ride alone and get overtaken once or twice each session.

Do you have any tips for me? I thought about getting a data acquisition system to analyse where I can improve. Is it worth it?

Please help me...

Last edited by Fred-R; 07-20-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-20-2014, 07:44 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

to be faster , you need to race with faster people than you.. And like sebastien tremblay told me, more throttle and less brake.. in st eustache i was doing 50sec last year and manage to do 48.8 which was the 2-3 fastest time in amateur.. and you know my bike is old and outdated ;p
post #3 of 23 Old 07-20-2014, 10:35 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I agree with OxyG3nE about running around with people who are faster than you. My other question would be when was the last time you crashed? I know for me personally its been a while (knock on wood). I say that because I know I have settled into a slower groove. To keep getting faster you have to be on the edge or pushing past it. Sometimes be it with age or whatever reason we don't want to cross that line. Are you riding on the ragged edge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-21-2014, 04:12 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Im not a fast guy Fred and I can only tell you what helps me get faster. I work on one little thing at a time until Im better there. Maybe its one turn, coming in faster, braking deeper, getting the line exactly right and getting on the gas earlier. Maybe its body position or something else. Just seems like when I improve in little areas they add up to faster lap times for me. Good luck.

post #5 of 23 Old 07-21-2014, 04:52 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm not a track guy, but grew up racing and it's just like everything else in life.. to get better you have to ride with better people. When I used to race dirt bikes I used to think I was going as fast as someone possibly could around a corner or through a rythem section, then someone would come flying by me a gear higher. I started trying to keep up with them, then competing with them, then beating them. You have to push yourself because there is always faster. Observe people you know are good, whether that's on the side of the track or riding behind them.

"Never shoot a large caliber man, with a small caliber bullet."

GEN 3: "Stock"

2009 crf 450r
post #6 of 23 Old 07-21-2014, 06:41 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

And one thing like @teeks said if you push hard to have to be ready to crash.. :S
post #7 of 23 Old 07-21-2014, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I am 31. It's my fifth season and I never crashed. I may be afraid of that... I ride with faster guy but juste haven't the guts to push as hard as them as I see them crash and get hurt one after the other. 3 last track day.

I also have a strange problem. When I push hard, I get real bad headache. Looks like heat stroke but I recover if I skip session. Can it be high blood pressure. It's hard for me to finish a 15 min heat.
post #8 of 23 Old 07-21-2014, 06:56 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred-R View Post
I am 31. It's my fifth season and I never crashed. I may be afraid of that... I ride with faster guy but juste haven't the guts to push as hard as them as I see them crash and get hurt one after the other. 3 last track day.

I also have a strange problem. When I push hard, I get real bad headache. Looks like heat stroke but I recover if I skip session. Can it be high blood pressure. It's hard for me to finish a 15 min heat.
Are you training at all?

post #9 of 23 Old 07-21-2014, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I do not train. I do go roller skate with my husky though. I'm not in bad shape even though I'm not the fitest guy out there. Maybe I should accept my pace and go on.
post #10 of 23 Old 07-21-2014, 07:13 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred-R View Post
Maybe I should accept my pace and go on.
This sounds to me like you answered your own question. Frankly, if you're not willing to get out of your comfort zone and accept the possibility that you may crash and/or get hurt finding the limits and pushing you and your machine to the edge, then the wall will always be there. There's nothing to be ashamed about in keeping it safe. But at the same time, that wall will always be there and you just won't get through it. Accept it and just have fun in that case.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in