Homestead 2/13-14 Race Report - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-16-2010, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to GregGorman Send a message via Skype™ to GregGorman
Homestead 2/13-14 Race Report

Well, I got 6 laps of practice in Saturday. On the 6th lap, the oil filter backed out a half turn and blew its seal. Apparently it wasn't properly safety wired. I didn't know there was oil on the tire at the entrance of turn 1.

If you watch this
video to the end, you'll see me enter turn 1 at about 147mph which was about the speed I was doing when the bike went full sideway right when I turned it in.

I thought I was gone. I thought I was on high-side trip to the moon. As gently as I could, I picked up the throttle and picked up the bike. Surprisingly the bike came back real gentle and it didn't even pop me up out of the seat.

I thought I had the problem handled so I rolled off and turned in again. Again, the bike whet sideways but quick. Again, a little throttle and pick the bike up. Now I'm heading off track, through the grass, across an access road, through more grass, and directly on to the steep banking. I managed to get the bike slowed down enough to turn it. I got it completely off track and stopped.

The engine was fine, I was fine, the rear tire was covered in oil and thrown away. We cleaned the bike, put a new oil filter in and safety wired it real good.

On Sunday it was 47f degrees when we took to the track for first practice at 8am and it was just a shakedown run. Jeff Wood wanted to prove that we Florida boys were wusses for thinking it was cold and threw down a 1:26. Next fastest was Dwyer at 1:30. Yeah, that woke us up!

My first race, GTO, was at 9:30 and 50f. I wheelied off the start and lost some time there. I then worked on hitting my reference points and getting up to speed. I was mostly in the 1:32 range for laptimes with two 1:31s. My personal best is a 29. The winner was doing 26s and the track record is 23.8. So the track was a bit slick but I've really got to work out why I'm 6-7 seconds off at this track and only this track. I made three passes and finished 7th of 14.

Next race was at 12:30, Unlimited Supersport, and a warm 57f. I was doing better, consistent 31s but so was everyone else. On the last lap, I was running in 8th and about to lap an amateur when I used a bit too much front brake and lowsided on the entrance of turn 4 at about 50mph. 15th of 15.

Next race was at about 2:30, Unlimited Superbike. I just wasn't in it. I was on the same front tire and I just didn't trust it at all. I was running 1:34 laps and was going backwards. I finished 10th of 11.

When I got back to the pits we found a small hole in the engine cover that was leaking oil, damage from my crash. We could have fixed it but it was time to call it a day. I did not start my last race, Unlimited GP. Apparently there was a red flag on the warm up lap for that race and only 7 finishers.

Next it's on to Daytona February 27th and 28th.

Greg Gorman
'08 ZX-10R Race
'08 Triumph Sprint ST street
On board videos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

What front tire were you running and how much air were you using? Maybe looking back you could have switched it or dropped a lb or two in the front. Still a race well done

Things my Motorcycle has Taught Me
People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Four wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul.

You start the game of life with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-16-2010, 10:37 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

hey greg dont sweat it.that wood is fast as hell at that track. i was at the school on friday and the dude was pinnin it to the rev-limiter into turn one.It was 72 degrees at the time.i think he ran into the 1.25s and wasnt even trying,That guys fast but i gotta tell ya,you didnt look slow at all on youre run.good luck this year and maybe ill see you at palm beach.

LOR, PCIII,SHARKSKINZ.TECH SPEC,CRG,PZRACING GEAR INDICATOR AND SHIFT LIGHT,VORTEX,OSF REARSETS,MAVIRYK 8 CELL BATT,OHLINS STEERING DAMPER,ROCKWALL CLIPONS,GOODRIDGE BRAKE LINES,COX RACING RADIATOR GAURD,DID GOLD CHAIN,CHAMP CHAIN ADJUSTERS,NISSIN FRONT CALIPERS,ZERO GRAVITY,WOODCRAFT,EBC EXTREME PRO,XT RACING LAP TIMER,T-REX FRAME SLIDERS.GP STYL SHIFT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 05:11 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Keep your chin up Greg and best of luck to you at Daytona. Be sure and post up your results. Im pullin for ya Bro'!

post #5 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 09:32 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Greg hope you had a blast . Having fun is what its all about . Due to the weather here in phila. , we didnt make the race but we will be at next round . LOok for Team NASBIKE . Stop in for a cold beer or if you need any help . Take care Jake
post #6 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks guys.

Tazman, I was running a medium/hard front that probably wasn't in its temperature range on the right side since there's only 4 right turns at Homestead. I was running a 1lb low on it.

Here's the video my wife got of my crash in turn 4.

Greg Gorman
'08 ZX-10R Race
On board videos
post #7 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

youll getem next time.

LOR, PCIII,SHARKSKINZ.TECH SPEC,CRG,PZRACING GEAR INDICATOR AND SHIFT LIGHT,VORTEX,OSF REARSETS,MAVIRYK 8 CELL BATT,OHLINS STEERING DAMPER,ROCKWALL CLIPONS,GOODRIDGE BRAKE LINES,COX RACING RADIATOR GAURD,DID GOLD CHAIN,CHAMP CHAIN ADJUSTERS,NISSIN FRONT CALIPERS,ZERO GRAVITY,WOODCRAFT,EBC EXTREME PRO,XT RACING LAP TIMER,T-REX FRAME SLIDERS.GP STYL SHIFT
post #8 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 02:03 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Greg Who makes a dual compound front tire ? I use Dunlop and Pirelli and I asked if they make a dual compound front but they sid they only make them for the rear.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake318 View Post
Greg Who makes a dual compound front tire ? I use Dunlop and Pirelli and I asked if they make a dual compound front but they sid they only make them for the rear.
Oh technically it's a triple compound. Really, it should be medium/hard/medium.
Take a look here and look at the 209GP FT/211GP Rear special. Also, this page shows more (not all) compounds, http://www.dunlopracing.com/fitment.htm.

Greg Gorman
'08 ZX-10R Race
On board videos
post #10 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks Greg I DO have the same tires .. The rep must have just used the middle compound as the type. I was serious about stopping over for a beer lol. Ive never actually me a person from a forum and as a fellow racer helping out is our pleasure if at all possible . We just got new magneseum rims that are 65/8 or 3/4 ?Rear . Thinking or going with Pirrelli now that we can mount a 195 in the rear . the bike has ALOT of hpand torque comming in at 3000rpm and 190 pirellis sidewalls distorted( due to acceration from torque . They say the 195 Pirelli has thicker/stronger sidewalls than the 190. Dunlop 190 sidewalls are stronger . Rider says Pirelli tires are stickier , but I cant tell the differance. CAN YOU ? I might be biased having 2 new Pirelli front tires split down the center down to the cords at 80 and 85 mph . Bought the 2 sets of Pirelli tires 3 years apart, only trusted second set because i figured after 3 years they had problem fixed .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in