Help W/Installing Catalyst Plastics 04 ZX10 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-16-2006, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Help W/Installing Catalyst Plastics 04 ZX10

How do you install a Catalyst supersport tail on a '04 ZX10?? Order of install, ie seat first followed by the tail or vice versa?? Where to secure the front of the tail?? etc. Thanks!!

WSMC #644
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

seat first, then tail. tail mounts primarily on 2 spots beneath the seat and i believe it comes marked for drilling. I've successfully used DZUS quick release bolts on this part but it's tricky requiring you to mount the quick release holder ONTO the painted surface of the tailboard. (cushion with cloth or something) The quick release bolt goes from underneath...

personally i think 2 mounting pts is a little too flimsy for me and so I've drilled out the 4 holes used for the stock fender and with the help of 8mm rubber nuts (those windscreen rubber holders with nuts in them) i've managed to secure the rear of the tail to the subframe (u gotta drill the subframe too at the part where you used to pass bolts thru to fit them) via long bolts.

and when you're done with everything, you need to find at least a 2cm spacer to stuff into the REAR 2 holes before bolting them in as there's a big allowance inside between the subframe/battery tray and the tail unit.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7577

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-16-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountry10r
I looked @ the HotBodies instruction post. The Catalyst Racing Composites, however, are installed differently. Specifically, the Catalyst tail section is not marked for drilling @ the point where the seat is bolted. The tail section eyelets are located under the seat and inaccessible.

WSMC #644
post #5 of 13 Old 08-16-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDokoo
seat first, then tail. tail mounts primarily on 2 spots beneath the seat and i believe it comes marked for drilling. I've successfully used DZUS quick release bolts on this part but it's tricky requiring you to mount the quick release holder ONTO the painted surface of the tailboard. (cushion with cloth or something) The quick release bolt goes from underneath...

personally i think 2 mounting pts is a little too flimsy for me and so I've drilled out the 4 holes used for the stock fender and with the help of 8mm rubber nuts (those windscreen rubber holders with nuts in them) i've managed to secure the rear of the tail to the subframe (u gotta drill the subframe too at the part where you used to pass bolts thru to fit them) via long bolts.

and when you're done with everything, you need to find at least a 2cm spacer to stuff into the REAR 2 holes before bolting them in as there's a big allowance inside between the subframe/battery tray and the tail unit.
Thanks for the reply. Just want to confirm that we are talking about installing Catalyst Plastics...

WSMC #644
post #6 of 13 Old 08-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal
I looked @ the HotBodies instruction post. The Catalyst Racing Composites, however, are installed differently. Specifically, the Catalyst tail section is not marked for drilling @ the point where the seat is bolted. The tail section eyelets are located under the seat and inaccessible.
The Catalyst Racing Composite tail comes marked for drilling in the front just beneath the edge of your seat's rear.

They're also marked for drilling underneath the tail specifically for fender eliminator mounting.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
well seems like in order to mount the seat, youre gonna have to drill a hole in any tail, no?

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

post #8 of 13 Old 08-16-2006, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountry10r
well seems like in order to mount the seat, youre gonna have to drill a hole in any tail, no?
My thoughts exactly. But here is a photo fr Catalysts web site of the tail installed:

WSMC #644
post #9 of 13 Old 08-16-2006, 08:45 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Just did this last month with the Catalyst bodywork. Came out very nice. Just drilled the two forward holes that are under the rear of the seat, and bolted it loosely into place.

Then, drilled very tiny holes at the rear (underneath) mounting points and looked through them to sight the holes. Then enlarged them enough to fit two bolts (same as the stock upper bolts), using a Unibit.

Got a couple clip nuts and installed them over the subframe tabs so that I could install the bolts from underneath.

BTW, it helps a lot to remove the brackets on top of the subframe that mount the stock tailsection, as well as the latch mechanism. Makes it much easier to slide the tailsection on.

To get the seat to mount, I used my die-grinder to notch the front of the tail in order to be able to install the seat after the tail is in place.

I can take pics if it would help. Lemme know.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-16-2006, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
Just did this last month with the Catalyst bodywork. Came out very nice. Just drilled the two forward holes that are under the rear of the seat, and bolted it loosely into place.

Then, drilled very tiny holes at the rear (underneath) mounting points and looked through them to sight the holes. Then enlarged them enough to fit two bolts (same as the stock upper bolts), using a Unibit.

Got a couple clip nuts and installed them over the subframe tabs so that I could install the bolts from underneath.

BTW, it helps a lot to remove the brackets on top of the subframe that mount the stock tailsection, as well as the latch mechanism. Makes it much easier to slide the tailsection on.

To get the seat to mount, I used my die-grinder to notch the front of the tail in order to be able to install the seat after the tail is in place.

I can take pics if it would help. Lemme know.
Pics would be great!

WSMC #644
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in