Help racers- is this fitment too tight? (one piece) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-26-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Help racers- is this fitment too tight? (one piece)

Hey guys, I went to the local cycle gear, which is the only place in town that stocks leathers. I am 6'3 and a slim 185 lbs. I tried on size 46 Alpinestars suit which fit ok lengthwise, but it was a little baggy in the torso. I also tried a 46 Dainese which fit better and at the time I thought very well, with probably a few inches of extra circumference in the torso again.

They said they had a size 44 Teknic in the back that someone ordered and it didn't fit. I have heard about Teknics fitting tight and have heard advice about getting one size larger in this brand. So I thought, no way will it fit, but I'll try it on anyway.

To my surprise, after a little squirming, I slipped into the suit (The others went on and off pretty easily). It actually seemed to fit very well. The torso fit perfectly, not tight at all, though the legs were a little tight. The sleeves and legs came up a little short, but my boots and gloves will cover the gap no problem. I could stand almost straight up without it being too hard on the boys (it was still quite tight from neck to groin, mind you)

I sat on an employee's bike to see how it felt when in the position, and the only concern I have is that when in full tuck with arms forward, the stretchy areas of the suit (along the lower back and on the sides) feel like they are nearly in full stretch. It is very tight on the legs (I have sprinter's legs), but the stretchy accordion material on the knee still had a little give left, and it doesn't cut off circulation or anything. Also, the bottom of the accordion leather on the lower back was nearly touching the seat, most photos I see of racers on bikes have it positioned squarely in the lower back and not stretched too much. All the accordion pieces still had some ridge shape left, as well.

My question is: how much does a new suit stretch after it is broken in? Should one feel a lot of tightness in the tuck position from the new suit? I don't want to put undue stress on the stitching, that is my main concern. How tight should a new suit be, exactly? I never thought a 44 would fit, but looking in the mirror I look like a pro racer it fits so well. Again, on the bike, it is very tight but not really uncomfortable.

Sorry for the long winded post, but this is a huge purchase for me, and I want to make sure I get the right size. They "may" be able to order a different size (one up) and give me the same discount price, so I do have an option. Thanks for any help!!!

PS- my Motogp suit size 48 is for sale at a discount, brand new! ;) I can't post in classifieds yet.

Last edited by bchandler; 04-26-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-26-2008, 05:38 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

A suit will "break-in" a tiny bit but from your description the suit sounds too small for you. The suit should fit better when on the bike and in a race tuck instead of the other way around. And the stretchy part should be above your butt like you said.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-26-2008, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Hmm... It seems like it was made for me, just a shorter me. I think I will order the 46 and see what it feels like. They are telling me to go with the 48 in teknic, but then I am worried it will be too loose in the torso. The 44's torso fit perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-27-2008, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Anyone else have advice? I need to order the new suit soon....
post #5 of 15 Old 04-28-2008, 12:00 AM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

LMK, what you figure out, I am going to buy a suit this year, and have similar measurments (6'4", 175lbs) and I am really concerned that I will not be able to find a suit, that is long enough and still small enough to fit me right. Most of my Jackets I have had to order a size or so too big, to get proper length, like you my chest and stomach area could fit a 44 no problem, but 46 or 48 is more like the right length.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #6 of 15 Old 04-28-2008, 12:22 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

You could try a tailormade leather suit.

BKK
post #7 of 15 Old 04-28-2008, 05:50 AM

Posting Frequency

They dont wear in too much... it's best to buy one that fits from new.. :)
post #8 of 15 Old 04-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

You are a custom fit. Plan on having a new suit altered. Call Alexa at Spyderleatherworks. She will give you a professional opinion on what you should do. Her work is top notch and reasonably priced.

http://spyderleatherworks.com/

WSMC #644
post #9 of 15 Old 04-28-2008, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

I'm thinking of going the 48 route. With the undersuit, back protector, and chest protector, it shouldn't be too loose. Any looseness (I anticipate some in the waist, especially), can be altered out. Syed of Syed leathers is about 20 minutes from me, so that's no problem.

I figure it is easier to take in leathers that are too big, compared to trying to "let out" leathesr that are too small by adding extra strips.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-28-2008, 07:28 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal View Post
You are a custom fit. Plan on having a new suit altered.

The taller you are the harder it is to find off-the-rack suits that "fit".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in