• 1 Post By mattinrsm
  • 1 Post By mattinrsm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen4 Kit ECU Shift Indicator on Dash

Hello Everyone,

I have a Gen4 with the Kit ECU and harness. The shift light is set to around 12,500 rpm in the software, but nothing happens when I run past that point. The tach and everything works fine otherwise. Do I need to select the shift-up indicator mode on the dash, or do something else to get the dash to blink when I want? Any help is appreciated.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-24-2019, 12:01 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

12.500 on the dash is in reality about 11.500 in the ECU typically the dash reads about 1000-1200 RPM higher so if your revving past 13.500 on the dash and getting no shift light then maybe you have a problem.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-24-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

If the dash is really that far off, then maybe. I was shifting around 13,500 indicated, sometimes around 13,750. Sometimes 13,000 depending on the corner, etc. I can adjust it in the ECU easy enough, it's just not as easy to check when not at the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-24-2019, 10:24 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Well to be safe temporarily drop the shift to 5000-6000 or something that way you can confirm that the shift light will in fact work once you've confirmed it you can set it where you want.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-24-2019, 01:39 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
is it enabled? IIRC You had to set a flag to enable it. If you enable launch control and rev the motor in 1st gear does the shift light start blinking? That would confirm the circuit is working.

The light is pretty darn simple. It just plugged in and worked for me based on my kit ecu settings.

I assume you also have the kit harness...

AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
post #6 of 10 Old 04-24-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yes, I have the kit harness. I don't see any switch to enable it. There is only a cal table called Shift Lamp Rev. Launch Control is turned on but I haven't tried it yet.

If michael4012 is right, it would make sense that I'm not seeing it work. My shift rpms are set at - 12300, 12500, 12600, 12800, 13000, and I'm really only looking at the tach on the 3-6 shifts.

Everything else works fine on the display, so I'll try dropping the table values and see what happens.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-25-2019, 08:25 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Matt, maybe you overlooked that shift light is a separate lamp that connects to kit harness?

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-25-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

My understanding was that the dash tachometer would work with the Kit ECU shift lamp function. So your saying that with the kit ECU the shift lamp capability of the tachometer is removed, and a separate external shift light must be installed, correct? This is from the manual:

Shift indicator setting
􀁺 The blinking rev of the shift indicator on the meter or externally-connected shift indicator can be
set by the Shift Lamp Rev by each gear.
􀁺 The blinking rev of the shift indicator cannot be set by the meter switch when the racing ECU is
installed.

So, I thought it was an either / or choice. I could use the tach, or a separate light. I appreciate your thoughts and response.
michael4012 likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-26-2019, 12:59 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinrsm View Post
My understanding was that the dash tachometer would work with the Kit ECU shift lamp function. So your saying that with the kit ECU the shift lamp capability of the tachometer is removed, and a separate external shift light must be installed, correct? This is from the manual:

Shift indicator setting
􀁺 The blinking rev of the shift indicator on the meter or externally-connected shift indicator can be
set by the Shift Lamp Rev by each gear.
􀁺 The blinking rev of the shift indicator cannot be set by the meter switch when the racing ECU is
installed.

So, I thought it was an either / or choice. I could use the tach, or a separate light. I appreciate your thoughts and response.
OH...

so the KIT ECU Shift light settings require the external extra shift light (green plug by dash connector on kit harness). Its a little blue light that flashes/comes on when you're in launch control mode or you hit your shift RPM.
Attached Images

AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
post #10 of 10 Old 04-29-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Alright, now I get it. Thanks for the information and pictures.. That's a bummer that I need to purchase an additional shift light, but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
michael4012 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in