Gen 4: 2011-2015 GEN 4 Mile racing. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

GEN 4 Mile racing.

Ok guys I know I have mentioned a few times (lots) that I am running the Texas Mile this October. Well I am heading out in the moring to get down there and set up before Friday when we start runs. I have a couple questions for you guys who have done some land speed racing.

What should I look for as a tops speed on the Gen 4?

Here is what I am working with..
I have dropped down from 223 lbs to 192 lbs but I am unsure what I weigh in gear. My bike is putting down 181 HP at the rear wheel, I am taking multipe sprockets with me Up 1 front and all the way down to three down in the rear. My ECU has been flashed and the RPMS bumped to 13850 and the top speed limiter bumped to like 220 (I'll never see that). Shorty Exhaust with mid pipe, BMC race filter, Custom Map, 2nd flys removed, and I am dropping the bike in the rear and strapping the front, along with removing any thing extra I do not need on her (mirrors/passanger pegs). I am taking 93 Oct Pump gas and VP fuel is brining me 5 gals of MR12 (should be good for around 8hp and maybe 2 or 3 mph).

So all that said I am hoping for 193mph, I know odd number but thats what I have in my head. What do y'all think? Top Speed? Anything else I can do to get a little more out of her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
you should borrow a busa fender from a buddy, that will help out.

do you have a stock windscreen or no? a double bubble will help get you out of the wind.

if your running MR12 you need to tune for that fuel or you wull be running lean, I have found from switching to MR12 from pump its almost damn near close to needing 8-9% fuel EVERYWHERE on your map so that might give you a good baseline for tuning otherwise you will run it lean up top.

you honestly could probably run a 18/39 and with those revs get close to 200mph...

if I were you I'd consider just putting on 17/37 gearing.

if you run the 18t you will have to shorten your chain up (wheelbase) you want to keep it long so you dont have any wheelie issues even though lowered you should be ok but it doesnt hurt to keep it longer.

if your running it with traction control on keep an eye on it at top speed's you dont want it kicking on when your going that fast iof you have any ront wheel hop what so ever so maybe run it with it off.

your bike will make great power and go fast, your just going to be fighting your own weight.

good luck!!! I'm truly jealous your going, I'd be there but my company took a big loss and I'm brok for now lol
post #3 of 33 Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
you should borrow a busa fender from a buddy, that will help out.

do you have a stock windscreen or no? a double bubble will help get you out of the wind.

if your running MR12 you need to tune for that fuel or you wull be running lean, I have found from switching to MR12 from pump its almost damn near close to needing 8-9% fuel EVERYWHERE on your map so that might give you a good baseline for tuning otherwise you will run it lean up top.

you honestly could probably run a 18/39 and with those revs get close to 200mph...

if I were you I'd consider just putting on 17/37 gearing.

if you run the 18t you will have to shorten your chain up (wheelbase) you want to keep it long so you dont have any wheelie issues even though lowered you should be ok but it doesnt hurt to keep it longer.

if your running it with traction control on keep an eye on it at top speed's you dont want it kicking on when your going that fast iof you have any ront wheel hop what so ever so maybe run it with it off.

your bike will make great power and go fast, your just going to be fighting your own weight.

good luck!!! I'm truly jealous your going, I'd be there but my company took a big loss and I'm brok for now lol
Thanks for replying Garth,
I do have a double bouble I for got to add that and as for the MR12 I was going to bump up my fuel on the top in to run it but I am glade you reminded me I need to do that tonight on my home pc. As far as shortneing my chain I am a little confused. the 18 tooth is bigger than the 17 tooth why would that make me need to shorten the chain. I was planing on running as many combos as I can with stock chain as far as gearing goes, I was told that 18/37 would fit with stock chain is that wrong? I will get some good video on my gopro and d my best to put it on here (not computer smart at all lol). so you think close to 200 mph is possible? :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Hey guys and sorry about the bad typing and run on sentences. Lack of food, sleep and pure excitment has me skitzing out of my mind. I feel like I did when I was a kid with ADHD..

Last edited by TheRule; 10-19-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: still cant type lol
post #5 of 33 Old 10-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRule View Post
Thanks for replying Garth,
I do have a double bouble I for got to add that and as for the MR12 I was going to bump up my fuel on the top in to run it but I am glade you reminded me I need to do that tonight on my home pc. As far as shortneing my chain I am a little confused. the 18 tooth is bigger than the 17 tooth why would that make me need to shorten the chain. I was planing on running as many combos as I can with stock chain as far as gearing goes, I was told that 18/37 would fit with stock chain is that wrong? I will get some good video on my gopro and d my best to put it on here (not computer smart at all lol). so you think close to 200 mph is possible? :)
yeah I think so for sure. with my stock ECU I went 201mph :-)

as the chain... I meant if your adding a tooth on the front sprocket you will have to move your rear wheel forward (shortening chain) so if you go with a 17/37 you will still see that more mph but keep the rear wheel further back in the swing arm

now these mphs are gunna be off maybe 1-2mph depending on tire wear but here are some mph's they should be close I have a gearing calculator that I dialed in to actual speeds the only thing is I'm revving higher but I adjusted for your revs

17/39 - 198mph
17/38 - 203mph
17/37 - 208mph
17/36 - 214mph
18/39 - 209mph

Last edited by garth285; 10-19-2011 at 10:58 AM.
post #6 of 33 Old 10-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

wait a second.... I just saw 13,850 rpm's

stock rpms are 13500 so your only over revving 350rpm's is this correct?
post #7 of 33 Old 10-19-2011, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

yeah it seems closer to 14000 but he said he just bumped it up by 350.. Whats yours set at? Oh also I will be running a brand new 190/55/17 tire.
post #8 of 33 Old 10-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

OK cool.... I'm revving to 14,500 lol...

with that rpm heres about what you will get

17/39 - 191mph
17/38 - 196mph
17/37 - 201mph
17/36 - 207mph

18/39 - 202mph

If I were you I would run the 17/37 gearing and see how that plays out.
post #9 of 33 Old 10-19-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

GOOD GOD MAN!!! 14500. Thats awesome I may have to see about getting mine bumped up some more. I know you have race cams so do you think my stock motor could hold the revs of 14500?

Also a few land speed guys have told me they think 18/37 woudl be the sweet spot. Do you mind if I ask what kinda torque your bike put down before the heads and cam work?

Last edited by TheRule; 10-19-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added info
post #10 of 33 Old 10-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

lol yeah I'm sure it would, they arent as big anyways so you would be fine, you could go safe and just run 500-700 over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in