Gen 3 LSR and HP Gain Advice - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-10-2015, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 3 LSR and HP Gain Advice

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on taking my 2008 ZX-10R to the salt flats this year to see how fast we can go. As a result, I'd like to squeeze more HP out of the bike... as much as I can without turbo / nitrous for the time being.

It's currently basically stock. I have an LOR slip-on and a juicebox on it.

Based on some of the other great threads I've read, here's the list of items I'm planning on doing. I'd love to get your input and feedback:
  • Full Exhaust
    Woolich Racing ECU Package
    Race Intake Camshaft
    Race Exhaust Camshaft
    Degree Cams
    .45mm head gasket
    Dyno Tune

I'm also planning on doing some suspension / body work to improve things:
  • BT-003 Tires
    LSR Front Fender
    Lowering Link
    Lower Seat

Let me know what you think and if you have other suggestions on how to improve things. Thanks for your help / input!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-10-2015, 11:10 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Those sound like really good plans. The only other things I can think of don't really involve hp. Just since you said its stock, you can remove weight, reduce rolling resistance with lighter chains, sprockets, wheels, and high end bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-11-2015, 08:32 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Salt flats, huh? Looking to join the 200MPH club!!! Woohoo!

Well, the mods you got listed are a good start. But you're still only looking at minor HP improvements getting close to the 180hp mark on a Gen 3 with all that stuff. Maybe a bit more. IMO, you need to be concentrating more on aerodynamics than Hp improvements. If you're wanting to go faster, you need less drag.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-11-2015, 09:30 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post

Well, the mods you got listed are a good start. But you're still only looking at minor HP improvements getting close to the 180hp mark on a Gen 3 with all that stuff. Maybe a bit more. IMO, you need to be concentrating more on aerodynamics than Hp improvements. If you're wanting to go faster, you need less drag.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-11-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeks View Post
Those sound like really good plans. The only other things I can think of don't really involve hp. Just since you said its stock, you can remove weight, reduce rolling resistance with lighter chains, sprockets, wheels, and high end bearings.
Good point. I plan on removing the front rotor and brake to reduce resistance there. Do you think a lighter chain and sprockets will do that much? I've talked to a few guys there that also run high end bearings... might be worth it if it doesn't cost too much.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-11-2015, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post

I agree, I don't see us reaching 200 mph with this setup. We actually went to the salt flats a few years ago with this bike pretty much stock: slip-on exhaust, K&N air filter, 10" rear extension and were a little surprised when we only managed 164 mph Turns out that 10" extension wasn't such a good idea. It might provide more stability but without weight on the rear wheel on a salt bed, we lost a lot of traction.

You're right, aerodynamics will do a lot more. I've looked at Airtech: LANDSPEED, LAND SPEED RACING, SALT RACER, BONNEVILLE, EL MIRAGE, FAIRING, SEAT, FENDER, SCTA, CESSNA, WHEEL PANTS COVER, 170,172,175 , they have some popular streamlining fairings including the "Charlie Toy". I'm hoping to keep the budget within reason though and looking at that setup... that's another $$. But, if it can be done cheaper, I'm all ears. Do the race fairings such as hotbodies provide any additional streamlining?

Also, would shorter velocity stacks have any effect? Replacing the inside ones with outside ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in