Gear Advice Please - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-30-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Gear Advice Please

With a track so close to me and for only $125 for a track day it seems like a no brainer to me! My problem right now is budgeting track gear and choosing from all the different brands and products each brand sells. This is my first time obviously buying track gear so any input, recommendations, and advice is much appreciated! I need boots, 1 piece suit, and gloves. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I've never done a track day before either. I'm looking into the gear right now myself though. I personally am going to go the cheapest route at first just to get off the ground and over time upgrade to better stuff. Check out newenough.com they have good prices, but I will post up some links to the gear I'm looking at.
http://www.topgearleather.com/produc...ther-Suit.html
That's the exact suit I plan on buying. I plan on going with the two-piece for convenience. Also when not on the track, say at Deal's Gap, I can use the pants with my mesh jacket. It doesn't have a speed hump, but for $300 I'm not going to complain. He will also make a complete custom suit for $500. He does offer one-suits also. I have also seen some closeout sales on some tecknic and joe rocket one pieces also.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-II-Boots.aspx
I'm gonna go with these particular boots to start with. The reviews on them seem to be great, and just because they are inexpensive doesn't mean they have to be crap. I'm sure they won't last as long as some Sidi boots but they should be good enough for me to start out with.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...rt-Gloves.aspx
These particular gloves seem to be a good price for all the protection they offer. I like the look of the mesh under the molded pieces.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ic-2-Vest.aspx
This back protector isn't the cheapest, but it has a chest protector with it also. After having been in a wreck already I know a good protector would've spared me some of the back and chest pain I suffered.
There are also a lot of places where you can find awesome deals on used gear too. I am by no means an expert or an aficionado but this is the particular route I'm going to pursue unless better deals come along. I also know that some of the more expensive gear out there will protect better, but money is extremely tight for me. I hope this helps you out at least a little bit. I'm sure more people will chime in with some better advice, but this is the best I could offer.

"The OX"

Last edited by oxthegrunt; 08-30-2010 at 06:53 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-30-2010, 07:20 PM
JVT
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Call Mary @ SBS, Lexusrx on here... Ask about Teknic Mercury. Awesome and cheap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-30-2010, 07:56 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

ebay is your friend. I got a used two piece Teknic leather suit for $225. Honestly you can find great deals on used leather suits that are in great condition. Also check the wera boards. People are ALWAYS selling gear.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #5 of 5 Old 08-31-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction guys. I work at a dealership and just spoke to my Parts Unlimited Rep and he says their apparel closeout book comes out thanksgiving time. He's saying there are normally $1000 suits in there in the $200-$300 range. So if you guys have any buddies at a PU dealer you got the inside tip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in