Fun with a gsxr on sea to sky - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-12-2006, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Fun with a gsxr on sea to sky

So I'm on my last 1hr of my 6 hour ride up and down a twisty mountain road. Its a real beautiful road up the coast to Whistler. Speaking on which, I think i saw rspec99 on his orange 10r with gold wheels going the other way. Not many of those in Vancouver. Anyways, the road is mostly one lane with the occassional two lane for passing zones which essentially turns into a road race to get ahead of the slower traffic. Lucky for all of us, traffic was somewhat light this morning.

So my bro and i ranup onto a squidly looking guy on a gsxr1k. When he saw us pull up on him, he started 'warming' his tires by going back and forth behind the slower car in front of him. Alot more when he saw the "passing lane in 2kms" sign. I could see his rear tire and it was worn to the edges so i figured this guy was somewhat capable. I know its wrong to street race... i mean, what would my wife say??? Should I be taking the bait?

Up came the passing lane, he bolted in full tuck... the slow cars all moved to the right, and i think the sun got a little brighter... Let me tell you, it wasn't a tough decision. I dropped two gears and went after him. To my surprise, this guy was quick. I mean he was using a LOT of lean angle, actually I was kind of scared for him. This put me at a decision point, either let him go or pass him briskly and get out of his way. Hmm decisions decisons...

To my brothers delight and mine, I decided to run his ass down. I was using top of 3rd and 4th gear so we were moving. I used less lean angle for safety margin but was much more aggressive on the throttle. We passed an F4i that tried to get in on the fun, but was left for dead. About 6 corners later I realed him in and started to set him up for a pass. The passing lane was running out and this guy is probably thinking I am waaayyy back, so I decided to pass him in going into turn 7 or also known as, the next corner. Than for good measure i turned it up for another 2 corners to further question manhood, than slowed it down. It was getting WAY out of hand and putting other people in danger.

I moved to the right lane and about 5 seconds later he blasts by close to FULL LEAN and hits a small puddle about 15 meters ahead of me. I suppose his guardian angel was with him as he just ran way wide and collected it back up for the next corner. It was ugly but he stayed up to his credit. His demeanor changed quite a bit after that.

My bro had great view from behind so it was cool hearing it from his vantage point. Too bad we didn't have a camera rolling. Anyways, thought i'd share. Chalk another one up for kawi.

Tito

04 ZX10R
05 ZX6R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-12-2006, 02:48 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

times like these are so hard to resist getting sucked into but whats a guy to do? besides chasing them down that is.

BD

post #3 of 9 Old 06-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes, It really is hard to resist sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-14-2006, 03:46 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Hey Tito, way to represent! The passing lanes around sweepers are a lot of fun especially when you have some "competition"

That was me heading the other way. I think when I saw you, you were heading southbound on the S2S just outside of Whistler. It turned out to be a pretty good day for a ride, and I headed up to Pemberton before turning around.

On the way back, we were having some fun of our own. One of my friends owns a 2005 Kawi 636, and the other a 2006 Yamaha R6. There has been a lot of trashtalking, and I have been waiting all winter/spring for this showdown. The results were pretty unexpected. The R6 won 3 out of 5 races. In 5th and 6th, the R6 pulled a couple bike lengths from the hit on the 636! In 4th it was pretty close, but the R6 still creeped away. In 2nd and 3rd, the 636 jumped out ahead about 1.5 bike lengths ahead, but the R6 seemed to be slowly gaining until the Kawi rider blew his shift

The S2S is pretty sketchy with the road construction. There is a ton of debris everywhere. I am glad that you made it through safe. The new section of dual lanes south of Lions Bay is a lot of fun.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
times like these are so hard to resist getting sucked into but whats a guy to do? besides chasing them down that is.

BD
:iamwithst
post #6 of 9 Old 06-15-2006, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rspec99
Hey Tito, way to represent! The passing lanes around sweepers are a lot of fun especially when you have some "competition"

That was me heading the other way. I think when I saw you, you were heading southbound on the S2S just outside of Whistler. It turned out to be a pretty good day for a ride, and I headed up to Pemberton before turning around.
We went all the way up to joffry lake, but turned around as the roads were in terrible condition. Last time I did duffy lake road was about 6 years ago. Disappointing how the roads were not kept up. Needless to say we'll not go further than Pemberton.

Quote:
On the way back, we were having some fun of our own. One of my friends owns a 2005 Kawi 636, and the other a 2006 Yamaha R6. There has been a lot of trashtalking, and I have been waiting all winter/spring for this showdown. The results were pretty unexpected. The R6 won 3 out of 5 races. In 5th and 6th, the R6 pulled a couple bike lengths from the hit on the 636! In 4th it was pretty close, but the R6 still creeped away. In 2nd and 3rd, the 636 jumped out ahead about 1.5 bike lengths ahead, but the R6 seemed to be slowly gaining until the Kawi rider blew his shift
Wow, that is pretty unexpected. My bro on his 636 with a slip on/jumper mod pulled 109hp at the wheels. That same day there were a few superstock 06 r6s and i don't think any of them pulled higher than 107. Maybe your buddy needs to spend some $$ I heard with full pipe and pc some people get 115+. BTW, I really like the high speed compression adjustment front and rear on the r6s.

Quote:
The S2S is pretty sketchy with the road construction. There is a ton of debris everywhere. I am glad that you made it through safe. The new section of dual lanes south of Lions Bay is a lot of fun.
Careful up there. We'll probably try to head up again on Saturday morning around 6:15am... one last test and tune before we run pacific raceway on Wednesday. Can't wait really, I love the feeling of brand new supercorsas!

Tito

04 ZX10R
05 ZX6R

post #7 of 9 Old 06-15-2006, 12:30 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the update on road conditions. I know that every year since I first rode the road up to Lilloett in 1999, it has been getting worse. That is unfortunate because the scenery is awesome.

My buddies ZX636 has an Akra slip on, wire mod, and PC3, and it dyno'd at 111 rwhp during the last RMS demo day so it seems to be running ok. The R6 is basically stock with a PC3 and no end can (slip off exhaust I guess - LOL) The R6 is getting a full Akra so I think they're going to go at it again.

I did run the R6 with my ZX-10R just for kicks and it wasn't pretty. I let him get the hit, and my 10R almost instantaneously inhaled and passed the R6, then proceeded to put multiple bus lengths.

It looks like Saturday is going to be a good day. I won't be riding that day, but I might be heading up that way, so I'll be on the look out for ya. Have fun!
post #8 of 9 Old 06-15-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Thanks for the update on road conditions. I know that every year since I first rode the road up to Lilloett in 1999, it has been getting worse. That is unfortunate because the scenery is awesome.

My buddies ZX636 has an Akra slip on, wire mod, and PC3, and it dyno'd at 111 rwhp during the last RMS demo day so it seems to be running ok. The R6 is basically stock with a PC3 and no end can (slip off exhaust I guess - LOL) The R6 is getting a full Akra so I think they're going to go at it again.

I did run the R6 with my ZX-10R just for kicks and it wasn't pretty. I let him get the hit, and my 10R almost instantaneously inhaled and passed the R6, then proceeded to put multiple bus lengths.

It looks like Saturday is going to be a good day. I won't be riding that day, but I might be heading up that way, so I'll be on the look out for ya. Have fun!
I am interested to hear how those battles play out

I often swap bikes to help setup suspension on the 636. It truely gives me an appreciation for how well my 10r works now. If you can believe it the 10 has better front end feel and stability compared to the buzzy 636. Plus, as we all grown to love, the power is just plain intoxicating. Nothing like getting walked on by your own bike! I don't think i could go back to smaller displacement unless the new 800cc motogp technology hits the streets in a big way.

Tito

04 ZX10R
05 ZX6R

post #9 of 9 Old 06-15-2006, 01:50 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I've ran 2, one bone stock, and one stock but geared and low. It wasn't a fair match cause i have full exhaust, but they are quick especially the one that were geared. The stock one we started in 6th gear at 80 mph i pulled him pretty bad, but the one that were geared, different story. We rolled in 3rd about 80 i jumped 3 or more bikes ahead and pulled more, slowly. But he catches me in 6th about75mph or less and he's gone i never catch it. I get close but never pass. They (K5,K6) are no push over. Many people don't really give zx-10s there props.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in