Front suspension - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Front suspension

Next question...

I have a 2005 636 for track. What is the usual procedure for upgrading the front suspension? I looked for Ohlins forks, but what I found on the Ohlins website was only cartridges and springs.

Does that mean that the way to upgrade forks is to replace some of the fork components with aftermarket parts, or should I keep looking for a complete set of forks?

I mentioned that it's 636, because the upgrade may depend on the actual bike model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You can give RaceTech a call or look on their website. They can take care of you.

DDM Tuning HID lights| Sportech Windscreen| ASV shorty levers| Driven D3 grips| Evotech 1/4 turn gas cap| LSL sliders| Woodcraft case covers| PCV with custom map| BMC race filter| secondaries removed| EK 525 red chain| Vortex rearsets| M4 Slayer exhaust| PSR chain adjusters| Speigler brake lines| custom front and rear seat| Pro bolt aluminum bolt kit| Hellrazor servo eliminator
post #3 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

^^ +1! Crazy what a difference just some valve and springs will make!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

It depends on what you want to do with the bike. You can do a 20mm kit which replace some of valving in the forks. I run GP suspension 25 mm kit which replaces the entire guts of the forks ohlins has the same kit. Gives you way more adjustment. It basically makes your forks equievelment to ohlins R/T forks. Most racer use the 25mm kit because it's supersport legal. Sorry I can't be more technical I'm just the dummy that sits on the bike my supension guy adjusts and builds according to my input. :)
post #5 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatracer View Post
It depends on what you want to do with the bike.
I was told that the stock suspension on the 636 is, hmm.. "lacking". In particular the rear shock. I ordered an Ohlins shock, but I couldn't find any simple solution for the front.

What I want is to get my bike up to a decent level for track riding. It's a dedicated track bike, so I'm not too worried about adding "race-only" components. I'm planning to do as many track days as I can, develop techinque, speed, etc., etc. The suspension was the first thing that was suggested (or even "recommended") to me by advanced riders, so I want to take care of it next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatracer View Post
Sorry I can't be more technical I'm just the dummy that sits on the bike my supension guy adjusts and builds according to my input. :)
I used P1 Racing on the track, but other than that, I guess I am my suspension guy.. lol
post #6 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 10:21 AM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

I had my 05 636 forks redone and they are great. Cartridges only replace the internals. If you can get them for a good deal get them. I had mine revalved, re sprung, ohlins piston kit and a couple of other little things and they are great. Not as good as R/T but considering it was half the price is more than half as good as far as feel.

post #7 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Just doing internals is fine. I have the stock fork externals and traxxion dynamics AK-20's for the full cartridge internals. They are a huge upgrade...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

04 10R - My late brother's bike, will keep forever
03 636 - Track bike build in progress
92 Foxbody coupe, 5.0, 5spd.

FASTEST CHICKEN IN THE SOUTH!
post #8 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 11:13 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to caboose
Full ohlins forks are a waste of money. The R&T forks use a 25mm cartridge kit so you can save money and just get a 25mm cartridge kit for your specific bike.

If you don't want to get that spendy you can get a set of Ohlins prings and a piston kit for about $400. Or if you're lucky, the OEM springs will be the right spring rate for you and you can just get a Piston kit for a bit over $200.

2010 10R Superbike
post #9 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboose View Post
Full ohlins forks are a waste of money. The R&T forks use a 25mm cartridge kit so you can save money and just get a 25mm cartridge kit for your specific bike.
I looked at the prices and the 25mm kits are nearly 2x as expensive as 30mm kits, and the 30mm kits are supposedly better (?). Still, it was around $1000 even for the 30mm kit. Yeah, the $400 solution would probably be just fine for me. I'm not even sure what the shortcomings of the stock forks are.

I guess I'll ask the suspension guys on the track exactly what parts they recommend (like what length springs, etc.). I'm a bit wary of buying and replacing parts in the forks, since I don't quite understand how all the parameters influence the final performance...
post #10 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee's Kawa55 View Post
You can give RaceTech a call or look on their website. They can take care of you.
I found their spring rate calculator and they even have something close to what the optimal rate was. Are their springs good? How about their valve kits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in