First track day help - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-09-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

First track day help

I'm in the process of getting everything I need to attempt my first trackday. I just wanted to know if you season guys on the forum can advise me on the protective equipment I need other than a suit

So far I have SMX plus boots, A* one piece suit and gauntlet gloves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

head to toe- helmet, suit, gauntlet gloves, boots. Some places require a spine protector as well, sometimes a "hump" on the suit is good enough, sometimes they require a stand-alone armored version. I also wear earplugs, but that's up to you. A motor at 12,000 RPM and 140 mph wind blast gets pretty loud.

whatever track you're going to should have a website with a list of rider/bike requirements.

There's quite a bit of non safety equipment to consider as well.

-cooler (with food/water. LOTS of water)
-bike stands
-loading/unloading bike ramps
-basic tools
-tire pressure gauge
-spare gas
-EZ up/shade of some sort
-lawn chairs
-spare cash
-key for your bike (you wouldn't believe how many people forget it)
-camera if desired

I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting, but that should cover most situations that could come up. Start off slow....lots of new guys go balls-out the first few sessions, and either crash out early, or get too tired by the end of the day. If someone with a single digit number on their bike gives you advice, you damn well better listen. Pace yourself, check your ego at the door (you WILL be passed, no matter how good you think you are) and have a good time!

---------------------------------------------------
If it aint broken, it doesn't have enough features yet
There are 'glass half empty' people, and 'glass half full' people. Then there are engineers who see that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I would like to say to stay within your own limits... I saw too many crashes last week-end caused by riders that wanted to impress others or try to keep up with faster guys... one did a front flip crash bangning in another bike and landed on his helmet (head trauma)...

At my last session I exited the track 2 laps before the end cause I was mentaly tired....

Listen to you boddy and your head and you'll be good

and prepare yourself for the best bike ride you ever had
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

as stated, you might need a back protector as a requirement from the trackday organization you are going through. Also, make sure you adjust your tire pressures accordingly and do a good once over on your bike. The last thing you want to do is have a mechanical mishap and ruin everyone else's day. Letting some slack in your chain is also very advisable as well as lubing it a few times during the day.

Valentino Rossi's #1 Fan
post #5 of 13 Old 07-10-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks guys. This why I love this forum
post #6 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to ellis976
lots of water and or gatorade if your not on the track have a drink in your hand if you feel thirsty or not and dont forget to eat it is very easy to get into everything goin on and forget to eat ... me and a buddy just got back from tally where it was about 10 degrees hotter than hell and we figgered out right before you go out pour a little water down in the front and back of your suit will keep you cooler for atleast part of the session and remember to hydrate hydrate hydrate
post #7 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 11:39 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeast10 View Post
I'm in the process of getting everything I need to attempt my first trackday. I just wanted to know if you season guys on the forum can advise me on the protective equipment I need other than a suit

So far I have SMX plus boots, A* one piece suit and gauntlet gloves
What everyone else said, and sun block. A good 8 hours of sleep if you can helps big time. I know it was hard when i first started tracking to get sleep the night before cause of excitment. Hydration also should start the day before and continues through out the day. I have one of these on hand in the riders meeting before the track goes hot in the morning. I pick one up at GNC http://www.cytosport.com/products/cy...ready-to-drink I also do some forearm workouts the day before to minimize wrist pump. Have fun man!

GEN 4: Brembo HP calipers, Brembo HP T-Drive Rotors, Brembo RCS master cylinder, Fren Tubo SS lines, re-valved Ohlins damper, Ohlins TTX shock, Yoshimura case covers/frame sliders, Yoshimura 3/4 R77D Ti exhaust, BMC filter, Puig DB, Renthal Clip ons/sprockets, attack rearsets, Guhl flash, kawi kit throttle, Ballistic EVO2 8 cell, Annitori RL quick shifter, Dunlop rubber.

Last edited by Ninja187; 07-12-2010 at 11:46 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I just did a trackday at Hallett this weekend. It was a blast, but here's a few things to add to the list I posted earlier....

-Rags- I strapped the bike down a little hard apparently, and now I have a weepy fork seal. Bummer. I guess it's time to replace the fork oil anyways. I didn't have any rags to keep it clean throughout the day, so my ratty tee-shirt i wore out there had to pull double duty.

-zip ties- Right up next to duct tape, these are possibly the most useful creation of all time. There are only a few jobs at the track that can't be solved with zip ties.

-small portable air compressor- Yes, they had air there, but when your bike doesn't have a kickstand, it's virtually impossible to fill up your tires away from your stands. One of those cheap walmart compressors that plugs into the cigarette lighter in your truck is a lifesaver.

-sunscreen- duh. can't believe I forgot that.

-Water- ya, it's already been said, but it's worth saying again. It's impossible to overestimate how much you can drink. I probably went through at least a gallon yesterday. I know it was 7 or 8 bottles minimum, and a couple were larger than the standard water bottle.

If it aint broken, it doesn't have enough features yet
There are 'glass half empty' people, and 'glass half full' people. Then there are engineers who see that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Wow I didn't take in to consideration the food, water, shade, tools and supplies. I should probably wait until next season when I can afford to buy all the supplies needed and a designated track bike
post #10 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

These are all good answers for you and youll be set to have a fun day.just one sugestion i make to anyone doing thier first trackday.get hooked up with an instructer.ask him to follow you and you follow him.they wont bother with you after the moning of learning lines and making sure youre ok to ride at somewhat a semi-fast.usually they baby sit in the afternoon sesions.use them as a learning tool.I did.youll learn alot and meet nice guys that ride well.my fist track day I used two intructers.they bumped me up to intermediate by afternoon.enjoy and have fun

LOR, PCIII,SHARKSKINZ.TECH SPEC,CRG,PZRACING GEAR INDICATOR AND SHIFT LIGHT,VORTEX,OSF REARSETS,MAVIRYK 8 CELL BATT,OHLINS STEERING DAMPER,ROCKWALL CLIPONS,GOODRIDGE BRAKE LINES,COX RACING RADIATOR GAURD,DID GOLD CHAIN,CHAMP CHAIN ADJUSTERS,NISSIN FRONT CALIPERS,ZERO GRAVITY,WOODCRAFT,EBC EXTREME PRO,XT RACING LAP TIMER,T-REX FRAME SLIDERS.GP STYL SHIFT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in