First track day, any advice... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 04-26-2006, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

First track day, any advice...

Other than dont crash.?

One of my friends has been bugging me forst almsot two year to go to one. I always seem to have other obligations. He emailed me last week and told me he would trailer me and the bike up for free. Just needed money for gas for the bike and food.

Didnt think I would be able to make it as the bike would need some new tires and I was pooling everything to pay my car off in the next two weeks (almost 9 months early) and just could not afford trackday fee, tires, food, and gas.

Well he calls me last week and scored me a set of Pirelli Super corsas with 15 laps on then for free, and mounts them for free for me.

I feel like I am a good or above average rider on the street, I just dont like pushing hard on teh street to have to worry about crashing my pride and joy. I really dont like the thougt at the track either.

so does anyone have any advice, I am enrolled in the tracks HART class, the track is Hallet here in OK up by Tulsa. This is the beginners track class to give some pointers and what not, but does any of the track guys have any other advice to offer as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 04-26-2006, 01:48 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

ride your own pace and forget about everyone else til you feel comfy!!
post #3 of 47 Old 04-26-2006, 01:50 PM
PostWhore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarPlyr
Well, you prolly are gonna take it slow anyway, but thats my advice, be sure to learn as you go, and not just get out there and try to go fast as you can....

Sometimes beginners groups can be a little scary cause you cant predict what they will do, just remember to do your thing and not fixate on the dude runnin off the track, lol....seriously though, read through Hill's thread on track days, it has tons of useful info.

https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12752

John 8:24:
Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 04-26-2006, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Ah, mucho gracias that will make for a good read tonight when I get home. I think I am going to try and find Keith Codes 2nd book in his series and read that as well. See if some of his thought will help me brush up on my skills some.

Like I said I can ride on the street just fine, I am not the fastest, but I do tend to end up in the back of the fast group most of the time. This is just something in some ways to help me overcome my fears of what the bike can and cannot do.
post #5 of 47 Old 04-26-2006, 01:56 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

[quote=BadAzzGuitarPlyr]Well, you prolly are gonna take it slow anyway, but thats my advice, be sure to learn as you go, and not just get out there and try to go fast as you can....

Sometimes beginners groups can be a little scary cause you cant predict what they will do, just remember to do your thing and not fixate on the dude runnin off the track, lol....seriously though, read through Hill's thread on track days, it has tons of useful info.

https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12752[/quote]

and have fun

AFMEDIC

Insert haters and thieves here
post #6 of 47 Old 04-26-2006, 02:05 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Just have fun man!! my first was a blast!!
post #7 of 47 Old 04-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Listen To The Instructions They Give U And Work On It @ Your Own Pace. U Will Get Faster As The Day Goes On. But Most Important Is have Fun.
post #8 of 47 Old 04-26-2006, 02:53 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Brandon
to what everyone else has said.

dont freak out if someone goes screaming past u, its a little nerve racking the 1st time it happens...

drink lots of water and have fun!

Live it before its too late.
post #9 of 47 Old 04-26-2006, 03:14 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Don't set your expectations too high. I thought i hadn't but I guess i did, bc I left the track very disappointed and not really looking forward to going back.

...but I will.

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #10 of 47 Old 04-26-2006, 03:25 PM
PostWhore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarPlyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by miykl
Don't set your expectations too high. I thought i hadn't but I guess i did, bc I left the track very disappointed and not really looking forward to going back.

...but I will.
good point, if you expect too much, itll just ruin your experience.

John 8:24:
Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in