• 1 Post By wheelz96
  • 1 Post By ShawnG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-22-2019, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
First Race Weekend Gen 5

Thought I would post how my first race weekend went.. Day started off miserable... 40 degrees and rainy... This lasted up until about noon. Showed up with brand new slicks and regretted my tire choice immediately. Ended up picking up a set of the new Pirelli Trackday tires(new). Pirelli vendor was out of rains and so a DOT is all i had available. First two practice sessions were just about useless as my times were nearly 20 seconds off pace and I was terrified to lay bike down on cold and wet track...

Now it's lunch time and rain has stopped. Next race for me is mock race which was first race after lunch. Track still wet in spots but rain has stopped. I am still on DOT and they seem to be a decent choice at this point. It's just me and two other riders, both on rains. Green flag waves and rider to left jumps start and I get a good dig and beat him into turn 1 by braking later.. I ended up taking the win in mock race (whoopy) and got some confidence back as my time was now only a couple seconds from my best..

Two races later is the A Superstock. I have to start last of course (13th). Track now has a fairly dry racing groove. However, outside of race line is still wet. We line up after warm up lap and I hear bike engines revving... It's time! I click into 1st and hold rpms at 7K. I couldn't get my damn launch control to work... The one board goes sideways and the green flies! I get a better start than the mock race and pickup about 4-5 spots into turn 1. I grab a couple more into turn 3. Now I'm 6th or 5th following a pack of 3 bikes battling. On their tails and after the long back stretch I enter way too hot! I'm on inside and over shoot and realize now I'm not gonna make the left turn... Rear wheel in air, left leg off bike dragging on ground, praying not too hit the rider turning left in front of me and then... BAM! We collide and ride into grass... Somehow we both stay upright and get back on track! Lost 2 or 3 spots due to my mistake as well as the poor other rider who I collected... Get back up to pace and end up picking up another spot and one more right before checkered..

First race i ended up 5th! Was very happy with that but realized I need to calm down out there and learn some patience! I felt horrible about plowing into a fellow racer but so happy to know he saved it!

After about 5 laps in first race my rear tire was greasy as hell... I never rode a bike this hard before and every other corner the rear was sliding around behind me.. I loved every second of it and I will say the rear was predictable however I lost all drive on exits.. I ended up setting a personal best lap time 2 seconds quicker than my previous..

Last race of the day was A Superbike and once again I started last.. Got a decent start but so did everyone else haha. I think I picked up one spot into turn 1 and than followed a tight group for a while ensuring I was not going to be a bowling ball this race! Patience I told myself, patience! Well now that group turned into a line of riders slowly spreading out. I need to make a move! I ended up passing two more riders throughout the race and by that time the front runners were just about out of sight... I was having shift issues as well with QS and need help which is in another thread. I ended up finishing 4th in A superbike and a couple 10ths quicker than last race. Still had DOT tires on and they felt greasy but not complaining! I still need to learn how much of it is me, the 1000cc monster, tire pressure, or setup...

Very happy with my first weekend and will be running an endurance race in May at Roebling with a 675R. I will also be bringing my ZX10R for a sprint race or two. Learned so much this weekend and can't wait to grid up again! For anyone paying for trackdays I say spend the money on race school and grid up! Cost is actually similar and you learn so much faster! I beat my PB times by a couple seconds and with better rubber and more seat time I feel I could even gain more time!

I am hooked and wanted to thank all of the forum members here who have helped me in the past! P.S. The KAWI is a beast! I wouldn't pick another bike if I could!
LossPrev and Neonmarine like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-22-2019, 01:03 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

What races are at Roebling in May? The endurance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 04-22-2019, 01:30 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Awesome, sounds like you had a really interesting race day.
Glad you kept her rubber side down!
wheelz96 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-22-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducatiman View Post
What races are at Roebling in May? The endurance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes May 18th is endurance racing with WERA/N2 and May 19th is sprint races which I'll run the ZX10R again.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Some action shots from A Superstock race...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tally 1st race.PNG
Views:	22
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	421957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tally A SS.PNG
Views:	21
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	421959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tally A SS1.PNG
Views:	24
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	421961  
post #6 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 08:20 AM
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
Keeping that white plate at bay!
wheelz96 likes this.

"You must subsume yourself to the bike"-Casey Stoner

"Thereís a moment when a rider needs to stop thinking about technology and just twist the throttle."-Pit Beirer, KTM Motor Sport Director
post #7 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonmarine View Post
Keeping that white plate at bay!
Haha thanks for noticing! Yea he pushed me most of the race but I ended up staying in front of at least 1 expert lol..

Still have so much to learn and consistency is key! Tiny mistakes cost so much with these big bikes...

Next stop Roebling! After an endurance race I will have lots of laps there so hoping for some improvement for Sunday sprint races..

Would be cool if a buddy of mine was there...
Neonmarine likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-24-2019, 02:10 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Nice! I love hearing shakedowns from the weekend. Good job and keep us updated.
wheelz96 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in