finally decided to track the 10... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 04-29-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Where'd the boobs go?

Posting Frequency

Smile finally decided to track the 10...

Well, she's not selling, I'm not selling her and now its time to trick her out for the track.

track riders/racers I need your valuable input. What modifications have you made to your 10r for the track? Anything be it from tires-rearsets, I want to know. Also mods like flies gone etc. What extra weight that comes stock can I eliminate? What are my first must have mods and on and on? What have you guys done to your tens? I want to know all. I was going to wait and track a 636, but I'm not going to give away my 10r for what they are going because people are hard up for cash. Thanks very much for your invaluable information. Also for handling in corners has anyone lowered the front end a little, and any other tips on setting up suspension for making the 10r handle better in corners. A 6rr/636 and 10r are like night and day for me in the corners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

i've fitted 2 my 06 a set of akira headers with carbon two bros muffler, vortex rearsets and clip ons, wp suspension, hyper pro damper, pc3, gi pro w/atre, k&n filter and race fairings but thats all for now.

If Life throws you a curve just stick out your knee and lean into it.:deathmeta
post #3 of 40 Old 04-29-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Where'd the boobs go?

Posting Frequency

What would you save is your best or favorite mod for the track...No brake mods? Thanks for responding!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 04-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

sorry forgot about the brakes i put braided steel brake lines, hi temp fluid and sintered race pads. The best mod i done was definitly the suspension

post #5 of 40 Old 04-29-2009, 10:39 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

The top 3 for track-bound Zx10's of mine:

1) Tires (DOT Race tires... cheaper than new bodywork )
2) Rearsets. I grind the crap out of the stock ones... and rearsets are cheaper than my boots too.
3) Front brake upgrade(s)... calipers and lines in my case do the job. The stockers don't cut it for me.

...beyond that it comes more down to taste/track. Gearing is a good idea, as well as removing anything you don't want to replace in the even of a crash. Things like exhaust and such are nice, but not at all necessary. I have a weakness for quickshifters, so that requires a PC3 as well. If you're going track-only with the vehicle, get some 3 piece bodywork and chop/unbolt/lose everything that the bike doesn't need to run. Low mass is it's own reward, heheh.

Handling? Hrm, I like a little extra ride height in the back, and I've played with lowering the front as well. Those two, combined with aggressive tires and gearing will mike the bike pretty exciting on the power.... especially over bumps. If/when you get to that point you might find that a damper upgrade of some sort is in the cards. I think you'll be amazed at the handling difference you get just out of the DOT race tires; it really is night-and-day. When you're good enough to need high dollar suspension you'll know it.... 'till then you can tweak and dial the stockers up to a pretty fast pace.

What and where do you plan on using the bike for? Each track has its strong/weak points that people can recommend mods for. :) Setting up a pure track bike is a lot easier than compromisng one for street use.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #6 of 40 Old 04-29-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Where'd the boobs go?

Posting Frequency

Great information, exactly what I'm looking for. I know I should change the gearing from stock for sure. I need a new chain and sprockets for sure. I'm not trying to set it up for just one track, but should I go -1+1? What is your gearing on the bike right now. 102 in first is pretty tall. What DOT race tires are you using? Thanks again!!!
post #7 of 40 Old 04-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

for gearing it depends on the track i've gone -1 on the front and then i have a 39,40,41,42,43 options for the rear, as for tyres i use slicks but if you are new to racing your better learning on dot tyres before progessing to slicks

post #8 of 40 Old 04-30-2009, 02:47 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

...I'm still learning as far as gearing goes. I'm a pretty good street rider, which means I have bad habits on the track. A local racer suggested that I gear the bike so that I don't have to shift through neutral to first ever. On a tight track that means some pretty serious gearing... like -2/+2 for me. right now I'm at -1/+2 and that's pretty wild, but I still feel like I need 1st to get a decent drive out of a few corners on this track (ASR). If you're not actually racing you don't need to be so picky about your gearing... but the advice about gearing yourself out of first is pretty sound I've found out. ;) Finding neutral hard on the brakes rolling into a tight corner is a pretty sick feeling, hehe.

Full-on slicks are a bit much for novice riders IMO too, but the DOT race tires are really nice stuff. I can't speculate on your pace or skill level, but they are worth it if you ask me. I've run the BT002 rear... the Pirelli SC2 front, and the new PP One front & back. I've heard the new BT003 front is better than the 002, but the rear is about the same.... I haven't run any of those yet. :) All of those are outstanding tires if you ask me.... especially the pirelli front. Truth be told, all those tires have more than I can properly use atm, but they make the whole experience quite a bit more enjoyable. I ended up wearing out the last of the BT002 rear/pirelli SC2 front on the street.... and it made me wish I had that kinda money to blow on tires like that all the time... just freakin' sweet grip. I can see why most racers slow down on the street: street tires are scary by comparison. ;) The ZX10R has the ability to overwhelm just about any rear tire, but I've cooked a Pilot Power street tire at a trackday and ended up on my head with no warning. The DOT race tires slide -much- more predictably and have more feel.... and the bike just handles better to boot. You can do it on street tires if you like: they are plenty capable... I just had to learn the hard way where the limit was with those. Talk to your trackside fast guys and tire vendor to see where you stand with lap times and what tire you might want to run. :)

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #9 of 40 Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Where'd the boobs go?

Posting Frequency

Thanks alot spaz. Very valuable information. I currently have pp 2ct's and I really want to try the new Power One's. Your telling me that those tires have put you on your head? DOT race takeoffs I'm getting from my privateer race team buddy. My skill level is also nothing even close to novice. I've reached on the clovers near limits of traction on my 2cts and suit up in my one piece every corner I take. My pucks don't look so new!
post #10 of 40 Old 04-30-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Where'd the boobs go?

Posting Frequency

Come on 10r racers get with me. More insight in to track 10 mods and things that I would most benefit from would be great. I know their are a lot more of you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in