Dorna now controls WSBK and MotoGP - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Dorna now controls WSBK and MotoGP

Yikes! WSBK is currently the best series IMO and MotoGP seems to be floundering. Now it looks like Dorna is in control of both WSBK and MotoGP. I wonder which series will suffer the most from this move. Not good. :headshake

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Oct/121003b.htm

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Oct/120903ool.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperbikePlanet
It will take some time, deep thought and possibly a few drinks to see through the mushroom cloud from the atomic bomb that Bridgepoint dropped on worldwide motorcycle racing Tuesday when it announced Dorna Sports will organize and manage MotoGP and World Superbike.

But one thing is certain: Dorna may very well be the king of the sport, holding nearly unlimited power.

It's easy to presume that Dorna will, no matter what the FIM says, rule the commercial operation of both global motorcycle road racing championships, and it will have almost complete control over the technical aspects of the two championships.

The FIM? The FIM has rubber-stamped nearly every technical regulation proposed by Dorna for MotoGP since Dorna led the premier class away from 500cc two-stroke bikes to 990cc four-strokes in 2002. That acquiescence should continue with World Superbike, too, at least through 2014, when Vito Ippolito's current term as FIM President ends. Ippolito is a GP guy at his core, as he was the former team manager of Venemotos, which won the 250cc World Championship with Venezuelan rider Carlos Lavado in 1983 and 1986.

Two immediate implications of Dorna and co winning the political favor of Bridgepoint are clear.

One, it's almost certain a spec ECU will be made mandatory in MotoGP in 2014, whether the factories like it or not. Honda has threatened to leave MotoGP for World Superbike if Ezpeleta carried through with his plan for spec black boxes for all MotoGP bikes.

But now that Dorna runs both series, the manufacturers have little if any leverage on the spec ECU—other than the doomsday button called "pull out of MotoGP". The MSMA? It's toothless.

Honda has pulled out of MotoGP before, albeit it was called Grand Prix then. For both commercial and technical reasons—Honda were said to be frustrated by new limited technical rules instituted by the FIM—Honda pulled out of all GP classes in early 1968. This was truly doomsday: Suzuki quickly followed them out, was not racing GP in 1968, and Yamaha pulled out of Grand Prix in 1969.

Press releases from Dorna and the FIM Tuesday said rules will be drawn soon to create a clear distinction between the prototype bikes of MotoGP and the production-based bikes of World Superbike. If spec electronics are made mandatory in the highest technological form of the sport, why would Dorna then allow open electronics in the production-based class?
Mandating a spec ECU in both series guarantees that manufacturers must play by Ezpeleta's rules or leave the world stage.

Another immediately clear result of this seismic announcement is the kneecapping of circuit owners and organizers. No longer can they play World Superbike against MotoGP when negotiating deals with Dorna for MotoGP events.

Dorna controls both series, and presumably will set sanctioning fees and negotiate sanctioning agreements for both. If a track doesn't like its proposed MotoGP deal, the option of a cut-rate WSBK contract from a rival promotional group is gone.

The biggest fulcrum in global motorcycle racing just moved to Pinar, 7—28006 Madrid, Spain—Dorna's global headquarters. The remaining fallout continues to settle. But Dorna may well be the new landlord of global motorcycle racing, and every other entity involved may just be a tenant.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 10:25 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Dude this is a major bummer! Im speechless. There have only been a few riders to follow all season in MotoGP. The 600 class has been better to watch if you ask me. Gawd ive been loving WSBK and AMA. Fuck with MotoGP all you want just not WSBK or anything else. Although i love the idea behind the CRT bikes in GP, its really hurting the sport. I could go on but we all know where this is probably headed.

Edit - now that ive calmed down and read the entire article. Sickening.

Last edited by Capncalyx; 10-04-2012 at 10:28 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Yeah, I know how you feel.

Here's a few more links:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/...ymusicdied.htm

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/...onmusicdie.htm

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp..._/R-EPI-138097

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Yikes! WSBK is currently the best series IMO and MotoGP seems to be floundering. Now it looks like Dorna is in control of both WSBK and MotoGP. I wonder which series will suffer the most from this move. Not good. :headshake

Dorna needs to stick to going in circles! They ruined AMA. WSBK is by far the best racing in the world, I really hope Dorna doesnt screw that up!

08 race cam(108/103), 08 retainers, polished exhaust ports, milled head(.010), .45HG, short velocity stacks, removed sec, bmc filter, full Akra Evo cut 5in, pc3., ign module w/rev xtend to 13,500., Lots of 520 sprckts, vortex rearsets (gp shift), pazzo levers, galfer lines, ZX14 calipers, shorai batt, carbon frnt fender, gpr, puig screen, gilles chain adjs., 1/5 throttle, Kleen air mod, Braking rotors, O.Z. wheels, 403lbs full fuel
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWildb302/videos
post #5 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 AM
vr6
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Nooooooooooooooooooooo.....

This has been the best season of WSBK and the 600 Class of MotoGP2 has been fantastic as well...
post #6 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Saw this on another forum a couple days ago. Im gonna stay optimistic and hope we dont have a replay of the NASCAR/AMA fiasco!

post #7 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post

Maybe that is why Spies decide to stay in MotoGP? No reason to go to SBK that is going to run by the same outfit and make less money.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Dang!
post #9 of 9 Old 10-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

MotoGp rules. Everything else is feeder series, busch league. You can be mad, but young people aspire to be MotoGp riders not clowns in WSB. Dont bother replying either.

15 Camaro Z/28
16 BMW M5
Former bikes: 07 R1/08 10R/10 S1000rr/11 10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in