It donít get much cooler then this! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-24-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

It donít get much cooler then this!

as some may know some may not I was recruited last year to race the 1125R by "HOH Buell" well its over, what a great year I took the championship on my 1125R this year and was asked to Wright a summery of the year per my sponsor "HOH Buell" so I did, this is it. even more shocking and cool to me was the email I got, I will post it at the bottom of the article

.................................................. .............................

Well, what can I say? I was skeptical, not unlike most that had seen the 1125R in person. I mean, the bike looks like a street fighter, not a throw it on its ear and spin up the rear tire “race bike”. But once I put a wheel to the track I knew what this thing had and that was potential, in truck loads! The torque curve was unbelievable and the handling was razor sharp. I knew in no time I would be cutting lines so tight a plastic surgeon would have been jealous. Still, we had work to do and that work was dialing in suspension. I had little idea of where to start on the suspension. I know what I like a bike to do, but finding its sweet spot can be a difficult and time consuming process. Luckily we had a test and tune weekend coming and that was my opportunity to try and find that elusive sweet spot. The weekend came and went and I was, or so I thought, heading in the right direction as far as making the bike handle the way I needed it to. Soon, I would find I overlooked one very important thing and that’s "what the bike likes is sometimes more important then what I like!" I went home happy after that weekend in my accomplishments but come to find out, only one of us was ready.

RACE 1

Race 1 started great. It was sunny, hot and the track temp was at 95 degrees at 10:30am. The bike felt light and nibble although the front felt a bit vague. It was pushing a bit as I would drive into the corners but I thought little of it. This was not my first rodeo so to speak. I know how to handle a bike and sometimes you just need to out drive the corner and settle the suspension. Racers like their bikes on the verge of being twitchy and unsettled. They are faster and more compliant in that zone. But as untamed as we like them, when they do bite, you had better be ready to defend yourself. Going into “the hanger” , a 90MPH, left hand corner that leads to the “back straight," (a 2,200 foot long, full gas, full tuck, 150HPH plus, shoot to the next turn) the front tucked and the rear stepped out “highsiding” me onto the ground at over 80MPH. This is at least what I am told. I have no memory of the event, only the half hour after and the long ambulance ride to Fairbanks, over 200 miles away.

RACE 2

Well, how could it get much worse then the first race? Luckily it didn’t, it got much better after redoing the suspension so the bike would be happy as well. Funny how pain will make you remember you’re not truly the only thing involved in winning or losing the race! Day one went well. I got back up to speed quickly after the big “get off” and the bike was starting to feel better. Over the loud speaker I heard the call for the pre race meeting. It was go time and I had to make sure the changes I made on the bike that morning were good because the green flag was about to drop. The bike was ready and so was I. I took the win! First time ever a Buell had won an event in the 20 + year history of Tanacross and I was proud to be part of it. Humility settled in quickly though, as I had to do it again the next day! We swept the weekend taking home two first place wins in the class.

RACE 3 and 4

Still on my high coming off my last two victories I knew we, myself and my House of Harley sponsored Buell, had it in us to take home the next few wins and go for the class championship. All I had to do was not crash and lay down some vicious times. Times that the other guys could not reproduce or even best. Which under the best of circumstance is difficult, competition is fearsome and a racers competitive nature is even more so. But I knew I had the best bike and sometimes you just need to, as they say in racing, "put her on the podium, or put the pieces in the truck!" As it went, the Buell worked flawlessly and did everything I needed it to do to win the next 3 races and take second place in the last race. We were able to give the Buell its just deserts, as well as my sponsor “The House of Harley Davidson and Buell” the class championship. I have won championships on many bikes from Kawasaki, Yamaha and even Suzuki but none have ever been as fun nor have I ever been as proud as I am putting the all new 1125R on the championship podium. It has an amazing ability to “just win” races! And to inspire confidence!

Thad Langford

AMRRA #12

.................................................. ............................................

"THE EMAIL"

Very cool, Thad. Congratulations on your hard won championship - an inspiring story!

I and the little team at Buell have worked so long to finally produce an American sportbike that can win against the best brands in the world in the hands of great riders. Thanks for choosing to ride the 1125R!

And, thank you for passing this on, Barry.

Best wishes to you all,
Erik Buell

Last edited by ZX10Rracer; 08-24-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Congratulations!

2006 ZX-10R-Full Akra,PC3,Speedo Healer,Heli Bars,Elka Susp.Manic Sal. Bar Ends,-1 front,
Galfer Lines,Puig Hugger,Pazzo levers
2001 ZX-7r-GMD Computrack prep.
1995 ZX-6
post #3 of 16 Old 08-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Guilty by association

Posting Frequency

cool man, would you go out and buy a buell now that you have raced one?

-I come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, Iíll kill you all.
General "Mad Dog" Mattis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-24-2009, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpriordan View Post
cool man, would you go out and buy a buell now that you have raced one?
absolutely would! I have had 2 bikes in my life that I have loved the most and one is the Buell 1125! I would however spend the extra $600 and get the lower fairing i'm just not that much into the necked look!
post #5 of 16 Old 08-24-2009, 07:31 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Good job and congrats to you.

However, buell can still kiss my ass and as long as they have to run against bikes with engines half their size to be competitive they will never gain my respect.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-24-2009, 07:37 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Congrats!

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #7 of 16 Old 08-24-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastone View Post
Good job and congrats to you.

However, buell can still kiss my ass and as long as they have to run against bikes with engines half their size to be competitive they will never gain my respect.
you know I hear that allot when people ware talking about Buell! Funny when they are talking about Aprilia I never seem to hear that! hmmmm funny how it only seems to matter when its Buell!
post #8 of 16 Old 08-24-2009, 09:05 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10Rracer View Post
you know I hear that allot when people ware talking about Buell! Funny when they are talking about Aprilia I never seem to hear that! hmmmm funny how it only seems to matter when its Buell!
1. The RSV1000R is long outdated and no where near at the top of the liter bike ranks. And besides they have a bike called the RSV4 that you might have heard of, its a 1000v4 and its doing pretty damn well in WSBK on equal terms with the Jap 4's and the "Cheater" Ducati.
2. You and I both know what a huge torque and midrange advantage that 1125 Water Cooled, brand new technology, at the minumum weight, Buell has over the 600cc 4's. I still am not beliving the claims as to HP that bike makes either, Sportrider for one tested the AMA bike and they swore up and down that they would be shocked if it made 1 HP less than 150. I want hard dyno numbers. Why are there none?
3. But seriously, congrats on your championship, its a truely great accomplishment, no matter what level of racing you are at and I take my hat off to you, you are doing what most of us dream of, no matter the rules and what bike you are riding.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #9 of 16 Old 08-24-2009, 09:13 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Congrats on the championship. Pretty cool reading the summary too. My views on the buell racing 600s nonwithstanding, I think it's a cool bike and don't blame you for taking the opportunity to race one. Hope you find something similar for next season.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 04:02 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

great story champ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in