does anybody else think suzuki fu^ked up not re-hiring spies? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-13-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do

Posting Frequency

does anybody else think suzuki fu^ked up not re-hiring spies?

I sure do, here's a good read from superbike planet

Expletive Deleted: Where Now, Spies?
by dean adams
Friday, September 05, 2008
This morning's Yesterday's formal announcement of perhaps the biggest open secret in the GP paddock—that Suzuki re-hired Loris Capirossi and Chris Vermeulen for 2009—puts American Ben Spies in a precarious position.

Or does it?

Spies may very well be shut out of MotoGP for 2009, but he's not without opportunity, trust me. Coyly, Spies made mention of multiple opportunities for him in nearly every series while discussing 2009 at Road Atlanta. Because MotoGP may have passed on him don't think the other World Championship is going to do so as quickly.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that Spies has a shot at replacing Troy Bayliss at Ducati Corse WSBK, on the Suzuki WSBK team or perhaps even on the ten Kate World Superbike team for '09.

And he has multiple opportunities here in the United States as well.

European paddock wags keep saying that allegedly what cost Spies the Suzuki GP ride was some hubris about Spies and his mother, Mary or his refusing to ride at Assen.

I know Mary Spies and I like her, even though I believe, conservatively, that she's mad at me or Soup at least five days out of seven, usually. As a parent, I can certainly empathize with her. She has a very close relationship with her son and she's protective of him. Last weekend at Atlanta I was interviewing Spies for a podcast in the Suzuki trailer with Mary standing nearby. Someone else came in to see Ben and started to walk towards us with Mary in their path. Mary quickly put her leg up to block this person and shot a look that might freeze water. Like I've mentioned, she's fiery but it's not with malice; I believe she has the best interests of her son in mind.

Suzuki MotoGP not hiring Spies makes me wonder how much quantitative research is actually done on GP teams when they hire riders. If I were in this position, I'd want to know the DOB of every rider under consideration and see a spreadsheet of the rider's results for the last three years. I'd also want to see all recent race video from races the rider took part in.

With that data and film in place, and this is not brain surgery, I would compare every rider in contention for the ride by the very same formula.

So, first we have Spies. 24 years old. In the last three years, he has either won the US Superbike championship two or three times (last round and Mladin DQ still to be decided) racing against arguably the best Superbike rider the US has ever seen—Mat Mladin. On a MotoGP bike, Spies went to track in England called Donington Park and qualified eighth, then went to Laguna and finished eighth. First two races on a GP bike—ever. Oh, and in the second race, he was sick and mulling an appendectomy.

On the video front, ummmm ... anyone at Suzuki's GP team see video of Spies in action at Road Atlanta last weekend? I guess not, because if they had, I can't see how anyone would feel hiring Capirossi instead of Spies to be anything but a enormous mistake. In race one, after his stop-and-go penalty, when I looked at the timing monitor, Spies was in twelfth place with a good many decent and hard to pass riders in front of him.

In the aftermath of what then transpired, Spies made it look easy, but was in actuality riding like a man possessed, at the limit of his talent. He finished second. And it was amazing to watch. Spies may have just reached his zenith as a rider last weekend.

In race two, Spies hung around for a while, watched Mat pull away and then, in the last third of the race, he dropped the hammer and rode again like a man not bound to the earth by the same laws of gravity and physics as the rest. Mat Mladin had not been beaten at Road Atlanta since 2005, but Spies passed him like he was driving a bread truck and simply left. Mladin had no answer.

Okay, then we have Loris Capirossi, also in contention for the ride. 35 years old. In 2006 he won three races and finished third in the championship. He won one race in 2007 and has been on the podium one time in 2008. Presently he's also crashing with injury. Is this a trend? Only time will tell.

Suzuki is betting that it isn't and that's, presumably, why in part that they hired a 35 year old rider with possibly declining results instead of a 24 year old rider possibly on the cusp of greatness.

And not hiring Spies and instead hiring Capirossi might be because of Spies' mom or because he didn't ride at Assen? Please. I don't care if a different member of Spies' family dons a wooden tribal mask and performs a rain dance at each race, there's only one thing you do after you look at his results and see a guy ride with unbelievable ferocity as Ben Spies did at Road Atlanta.

If you have it within your power, you hire him. Period.

ENDS

Post this story to: digg

Rape is no laughing matter.
Unless you're raping a clown.

Last edited by master link; 03-13-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

One of the greatest screw-ups in Suzuki history, goes along with the greatest one of Honda's- losing Rossi.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-13-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_honez View Post
One of the greatest screw-ups in Suzuki history, goes along with the greatest one of Honda's- losing Rossi.
ya i forgot about honda losing rossi, yeah that was a F-up, suzuki has to be kicking thereselves now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to LaurenOE
Or Honda favoring Pedrosa over Hayden.

2005 ZZR1200
2007 ZZR600
2008 ZX10R
2007 KLX250
2009 Zuma 125
post #5 of 13 Old 03-13-2009, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenOE View Post
Or Honda favoring Pedrosa over Hayden.
I think pedrosa & hayden were neck & neck with the 990cc bike's but with the advent of 800cc's pedrosa deffinatly gets the nod, that bike just suits pedrosa better & in-turn makes honda favor him, also a spanish team & spanish sponser def help a spanish rider. im a big hayden fan thru & thru but imo i see the writing on the wall and the writing says hayden needs to step down from moto-gp and head to sbk, i wish i was wrong but we'll see.

post #6 of 13 Old 03-13-2009, 02:29 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Yeah I think spies is good and prob would keep up with everyone on the GP circuit , but with him riding in WSBK and already taking two superpoles and winning his second ever WSBK event, it just makes him even more marketable, and if he does this good for the rest of the season it just makes it that much better for him and his wallet LOL.. I think Suzuki made a big mistake, but who knows if he would have been able to get a GP ride on suzuki ?? I hope he keeps kicking ass overseas and I think we will see him racing Moto GP next season just my 2 cents..

post #7 of 13 Old 03-13-2009, 02:32 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Suzuki will be looking at Capirossi a little bit more judgementally now. Though it was the decision not to run 3 bikes that sealed Spies fate. Hell Ill be suprised if Suzuki is in existence at all next year in MGP.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-13-2009, 02:47 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

well, we can all assume someone at suzk headquarters is asking the same question.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Guilty by association

Posting Frequency

im sure someone had to answer some questions about ben

-I come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, Iíll kill you all.
General "Mad Dog" Mattis
post #10 of 13 Old 03-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

yeah, real bad move by Suzuki and now they will have to sit back and watch him possibly take the WSB title for Yamaha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in